• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

O'brien Customs turbo kit

S
Oct 11, 2008
I just bought a new Nytro to replace my piped and ported Mountain Max. A guy at work has a nytro with an Obrien Customs turbo kit. He swears that is faster than MCX and Powderlites kit. I have never heard of O'brien Customs. Who makes this kit and how does it do against the other kits out there. Can anyone who has this kit give me a ride report? I just want honest information so I don't waste 7-10k on a kit that I constant have to tune. PM me if neccesary so to not a bashing war.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Dustin had his sled at fairview (turbo nytro) It looked killer, had some mechanical problems.

Last edited:
J
Dec 15, 2007
Troy, MT
Strokr~ I would look at your buddys kit and put the parts down on paper and compare to some other Bigger names! B.D., MCX, Impulse, Powderlights, Alpine to just name a Few. Also taking the charge (turbo air route) path and turbo placment into consideration is Key! The Turbo Evolution is plain to see in my opinion. They are slowly making there way closer to the Firing point. Of course taking any lag vurtually away. I'm running the Sidemount GT25 B.D. Kit on a 06 973cc Vector motor. It runs hard and smooth at 16/18lbs and 20 is even better! I know some other guys that have the Nitro like your self. Won't mention any names but the MCX is Pretty fast at 14/15lbs. The Impulse is also impresive at the same numbers. Like I said, Just compare the different kits and make your choice. Your gonna love boost! Try not to turn it up! CUZZ YOU CAN'T GO BACK! :face-icon-small-hap cheers!

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
I have one of the first nytro kits he did. There has been some updates since his first kits and I had mine done. His kit will run with the best of them as it is very similar to the impulse kit. But he does not do a kit that I am aware of he only will sell his kit if he installs it so he can make sure it is right and if it has problems later he will make sure he takes care of them. If you want to do the install yourself I would go with Impulse his stuff runs great and as for O-Briens stuff haveing problems at Fair view everyone has problems now and then none of them will run perfect for ever

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I have one of the first nytro kits he did. There has been some updates since his first kits and I had mine done. His kit will run with the best of them as it is very similar to the impulse kit. But he does not do a kit that I am aware of he only will sell his kit if he installs it so he can make sure it is right and if it has problems later he will make sure he takes care of them. If you want to do the install yourself I would go with Impulse his stuff runs great and as for O-Briens stuff haveing problems at Fair view everyone has problems now and then none of them will run perfect for ever

I didnt mean it to sound bad, dustin seems to be a great guy! Just saying that his sled was having some mechanical problems (chain I think) That caused him to not have a good day.

S
Oct 11, 2008
hey 1mad, if you don't mind me asking. What did you kit include and how much did it run you? Pm me if neccesary. Thanks.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
Pm you strokr
Mattymac I wasnt getting defensive about Dustins stuff I just want everyone to know that no ones kit or even a sled will run perfect all the time. I have rode with a few turbo builders and they are always tinkering with there stuff to try and make it better and in that process you are bound to have issues and i know Dustin he is always pushing things to the limits just to see what the limit is.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
You should really talk to Paul at impulse. With his new standalone fuel injection with pump gas running 17psi, there is no tuning required besides the clutching. Ask around, quite a few guys rode it at the end of last season and can vouch for how it runs.

Premium Features