• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

All things equal, which climbs & floats better, ZX or Rev?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I've been wondering about this since the Rev's first came out. I've ridden Revs and know they ride better through the bumps but I've never ridden one off trail for boondocking, powder, climbing, etc. Seems to me that if you had two identically set up sleds, equipped with the same motor, track, & skis, etc. The ZX would be a better all around off trail sled.

Maybe that isn't the case?

Z
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula MT
???

no offense but isnt that an apples and oranges comparison? To get a zx to have the same power to weight ratio as a stock rev would have to a highly modified sled, also the comparison of tracks, zx 15 wide, rev 16 wide, rev has a way bigger footprint with the same track length so that now you have a zx with a hoped up motor, a ton of light weight parts and a new track to even put it on the same page as a stock rev. Then there is the handling between the two sleds, i will admit that the rev took some getting used to after riding a GREAT zx for 4 years, but when you think about the the simple physics of a lever, the tall seat and tall bars on the rev simply give the rider more control with less effort, once again you could get a highrise seat and some serious bar risers for a zx and maybe get it close to a stock rev. Then to get to you floating question, rev's approach angle is shallower which will make it float and boondock better. Not trying to nock zx's or your opinion of liking them better, had on for a long time and it was a great sled, i just dont think that you can realistacly put a rev and a zx on the same page. just my opinion though, well c what others have to say.

no offense but isnt that an apples and oranges comparison? To get a zx to have the same power to weight ratio as a stock rev would have to a highly modified sled, also the comparison of tracks, zx 15 wide, rev 16 wide, rev has a way bigger footprint with the same track length so that now you have a zx with a hoped up motor, a ton of light weight parts and a new track to even put it on the same page as a stock rev. Then there is the handling between the two sleds, i will admit that the rev took some getting used to after riding a GREAT zx for 4 years, but when you think about the the simple physics of a lever, the tall seat and tall bars on the rev simply give the rider more control with less effort, once again you could get a highrise seat and some serious bar risers for a zx and maybe get it close to a stock rev. Then to get to you floating question, rev's approach angle is shallower which will make it float and boondock better. Not trying to nock zx's or your opinion of liking them better, had on for a long time and it was a great sled, i just dont think that you can realistacly put a rev and a zx on the same page. just my opinion though, well c what others have to say.

A ZX CAN beat a REV... with many upgrades as mentioned above... lightweight, motor (only a few mods though), track, seat, bars etc.

The one caveat is that the ZX will never have the rider as far forward over the skis as a REV which means that a good chunk of the weight will be on the track which doesn't help with floation or climbing...

That being said... I have made almost all of the changes to my sled as I REALLY don't like the REVS... so I will ride my ZX (by choice not finances as I have as much in my ZX as a new sled would cost) until I find a sled that really interests me in owning :beer;

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
ive spent equal seat time on rev/zx/xp. the only thing the new chassis has on the zx is climbing. for some reason the zx boondocks and goes through the trees alot easier.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I didn't like the Rev either when it first came out. I just keep riding theZX then I found a good deal on my 04 Rev and now wish I would have switched years ago. The Rev does have more mods then my ZX but it is sooooo much better that stock vs stock I'd still take the Rev (even ZX 151 vs Rev 144). I very rarely boondocked threw the trees with the ZX but now thats mainly what I like doing on the rev. IMO the ZX is not as addjile(sp).

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I forgot the Rev had a 16" but the motors were the same on the early Revs and the ZX, at least on the 800. I don't see it as apples to oranges. The Rev used a ton of ZX parts. So sounds like the ZX has the disadvantage of a narrower track, shorter seat and riser. Those can all be changed and made equal with a REV. Basically does rider forward make a sled better for every situation? Once the track length gets out to 151 and beyond, the rider's weight is all on the nose of the sled while it is more centered on a ZX.

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
A ZX CAN beat a REV... with many upgrades as mentioned above... lightweight, motor (only a few mods though), track, seat, bars etc.

So, explain to me how BARS will help a ZX beat a REV? I understand how they can make a sled more comfortable to an individual rider, but help one sled "beat" another???

About the only thing the older sleds were better/easier at than the new rider forward is carving easier. This is because they had much more weight on the track instead of the skis.

Truth: A Superior RIDER can help a ZX outperform a REV with an inferior rider. But the zx has a large disadvantage in the HP/Weight ratio.

Z
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula MT
motor

the only year that the motors were the same in the 800's was in the o3 1/2 demo sleds, went to the HO in 04, more power, then the p tech in 06 lil more power, then the R in o7 lil more power yet.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Have run Rev and ZX with identical 156 Camo's, almost identical power, clutching, gearing and same rider, same hill side by side track.....both sleds susp setup for the deep. It was not even close....REV climbed ALOT higher and got around alot easier in the deep. This was in '04....has not even been a doubt in my mind since then. :beer;

So, explain to me how BARS will help a ZX beat a REV? I understand how they can make a sled more comfortable to an individual rider, but help one sled "beat" another???

OK... typing faster than thinking... the bars and seat help to make it more comfortable and provide a better riding position which makes it easier to maneuver... some people take things so literally! Would you prefer mods to make the sled's riding position to be similar????

O
Aug 17, 2009
Iv'e owned the SC,ZX,Rev and now the XP....They keep get better everytime Doo decides to change the alphabet....

IMO the ZX has to much drag in deep snow.

OT

C
Nov 26, 2007
I forgot the Rev had a 16" but the motors were the same on the early Revs and the ZX, at least on the 800. I don't see it as apples to oranges. The Rev used a ton of ZX parts. So sounds like the ZX has the disadvantage of a narrower track, shorter seat and riser. Those can all be changed and made equal with a REV. Basically does rider forward make a sled better for every situation? Once the track length gets out to 151 and beyond, the rider's weight is all on the nose of the sled while it is more centered on a ZX.

I had an 02 ZX. Modded with Boss High rise, Handle bar rizer, gearing, clutching, oil delete, and I insalled a 151x16 off of an 05 REV.

The same season I picked up an 05 REV 151 cheap. I fell in love with the REV after the 1st ride. My ZX was a great sled but it was a trencher compared to the REV. Then I installed a boss seat and rizers. Every thing else stock. I sold the ZX the next season.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Well it sounds like the ZX isn't as capable as the Rev in most conditions. After thinking about things, I can see where the Rev would climb better simply because the rider's weight would keep the front end down.

I wasn't aware the Rev went better than ZX through powder. My thinking was that with the extra weight up front on the Rev and the lack of a belly pan, the Rev wouldn't float as well as a ZX. I wonder why the Rev does better? Angle of attack? Slight decrease in weight? Different rear skid?

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
the only year that the motors were the same in the 800's was in the o3 1/2 demo sleds, went to the HO in 04, more power, then the p tech in 06 lil more power, then the R in o7 lil more power yet.

Your off a little bit the 03 summit zx was a 800 HO motor, as well as the 03 1/2 demo rev.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I know this isn`t a ZX, but this pic of the riding position Of My S Chassis Summit with me on it, helps alot over stock bars and seat position, especially if it is converted to this rev seat and 03 rev bars and 6.9 Pilot skis, and this year I have an 06 Summit X 151 rear skid, this set up makes the sled alot easier to throw around and sidehill etc.. makes the back feel a bunch better after hard ride on rough trails into the play areas, I know its not a Rev but this is a hell of an improvement, when you can`t really afford a Rev.

me on yellow summit.jpg

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
Well it sounds like the ZX isn't as capable as the Rev in most conditions. After thinking about things, I can see where the Rev would climb better simply because the rider's weight would keep the front end down.

I wasn't aware the Rev went better than ZX through powder. My thinking was that with the extra weight up front on the Rev and the lack of a belly pan, the Rev wouldn't float as well as a ZX. I wonder why the Rev does better? Angle of attack? Slight decrease in weight? Different rear skid?

Down hill in deep powder gets a little wierd on the rev. It feels like it wants to nose under compared to the ZX. Once you get it figured out, it has hands down much funner to ride, for me anyhow.
A little power on while going down hill in deep helps. I took my ZX and REV out on the same day and on the same areas. For deep powder the REV handled the poweder much better. It just floats on top where my ZX would trench down.

Premium Features