• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

QRS Removal

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Just wanting to get some detailed info on removing the QRS. With the spring compression tool do I still need to remove the whole shaft? have also heard about replacing allen head bolts with hex bolts so the shaft can stay in place for future removal. how does this work out? Never taken this apart before but would like to learn about it and tinker with some different set-ups. thanks for your help!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Remove: Belt, 13mm nut/clip behind secondary, Chaincase side....remove plug, LOOSEN Bolt holding top gear about 1/4", loosen chain adjuster, Using a punch/hammer tap on the gear bolt head (careful not to miss and hit chaincase cover...they break ;)), If the shaft does not pop loose you can apply a little propane heat to the casting around the bearing behind the clutch ....not too much to damage bearing seal.
Once it pops loose, remove the bolt and CAREFULL slide something like a ratchet hadle, dowel etc....through the gear and the spacer behind the gear so they don't fall into the case. Remove shaft completely.
Another option is to remove the case cover....a good idea first time to see better how it goes together and no risk of dropping the gear spacer, and change oil too.
Thread in you spring compressor, remove some spring tension and HEAT the 4 helix bolts, they are loctited. #40 Torx bit.
Inspect the bolts, I have seen them cracked around the head. You can replace with hex heads, just make sure they aren't too long so as to bottom out in the helix before they get tight and are a high grade. And loctite them.
I think I covered it? :beer;

Jul 22, 2008
Although a bit easier but you dont have to remove the whole shaft to remove just the helix, cut a torx bit short on the hex end and use a quarter inch wrench to turn it. Replace the bolts with regular hex bolts and it is very easy next time. I welded a m8 nut to my torx bit so I could use a 13mm ratchet wrench to remove the original bolts easier. You might need a bit of heat to loosen the factory loctite before they will turn, but not always.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Is there any way to change these without the special compression tool? I havent taken mine out yet. Just wondering if I can get by without this tool or fab something up.

Thanks.:beer;

A
Nov 27, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
Yes.. You can assemble these clutches without any special tools. I have rebuilt both my clutches numberous times without the tools. Be creative and im sure you can figure it out. The correct tools im sure make the job a breeze but im too cheap to buy something i can get by without.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Is there any way to change these without the special compression tool? I havent taken mine out yet. Just wondering if I can get by without this tool or fab something up.

Thanks.:beer;

An extra set of strong hands will work. Just be aware the helix is under alot of spring tension.

Premium Features