• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I need the help of a yammy yoda

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
alright guys, here's the deal. i have 3 sleds, 97 v max 7, 99 mmax 7, and an 03 viper mtn 7. all 3 have the same issue. after they have sat for a while, meaning days, weeks, months, they take about 20-50 pulls to start. unless you put a little gas in each cylinder as a quick prime. that seems to speed it up some.

what i am wondering is this, is there a carburator issue that these sleds develop over time? the 97 and 99 both have over 4000 miles, so i could see an issue with either sled. but the 03 viper mtn only has 900 on it. i can't imagine they took that many pulls when they were new.

is there a carb kit that i should be looking for? or does somebody out there have a solution for me. HELP PLEASE!!!

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
so does this mean a more frequent carb cleaning? or are these sleds just doomed? i had skidoo's a few years back. 95 formula z 583 and 99 mxz 670 HO. both had starting issues. they would start on the first pull if you primed it just right, but if you didn't stay on the primer they would die and flood out. also, if you shut them off after riding, waited more than 15 minutes and tried to start them again, good luck. thats why my arms are so big, from pulling recoils over and over on those damn rotary valve scuds.

so this brings up an idea. a primer on a yamaha triple? think it would help?

yes yammy 1320 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I too had this problem with my MM700 but then I was told to use a formula called STABIL in the gas tank during the off season and by the same company they have a spray to spray in the air side of carb and also into the cylinders when putting to bed. Basically its keeping your carbs from varnish and gum ups. Hopefully this will help!!!

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
i use Stabil in my sleds and a lot of other stuff too. didn't know they made a spray. might have to try it.

but the thing is, i you ride the sled for a hour, day or week, it doesn't matter. lets say you ride it on a monday. by wednesday or thursday, if you go to start it, it takes many many pulls to get it to fire. nobody wants to sit outside when its -10 and pull on that sled that many times. or be pulling plugs and putting gas in the cylinders.

but once it fires up, its fine for the whole day and then next couple as long as you ride it every day. it has to have something to do with fuel exiting the carbs. but where is it going? back towards the fuel pump? into the intake? i am stuck here.

maybe thats another thing, the fuel pump. is something happening with that?

I would try to soak the carbs and put a new kit in. Also what elevation are you riding? I used to ride the ditches around the Sioux Falls S Dakota area and I think it is around 3000 elevation. So make sure you have it jetted right. I am still fighting the jets here in Idaho with my 98 MM700.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
well, the 97 v max, if it ever gets finished, will probably never leave the state. so 1400 ft.

the 99 mmax lives in montana. its my cousins sled and he brought it and his skidoo back home this last weekend when he came to visit. i am going to service both of them and tow them back to billings in a couple months. sounds like a spendy service job, but it gives us a chance to go visit. so that one is never going to see under 7000 ft.

the 03 viper mtn is ridden both at home here(1400 ft) and in the bighorns so that one gets jetted and cleaned a couple times a year.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
just in case you may be over looking the obvious...

alot depends on your starting procedure. if you arent choking the sleds (even in the summer) it will take several pulls. if you choke it half way, it will take a few less but still you are pulling several times.

with carbed yami sleds on a cold sled (read, not started in the last few hours) i flip the choke to FULL CHOKE (which is up and over if you didnt know). pull it till it fires, flip it to half choke till it acts like it is going to die, then shut the choke off completely.

in really cold temps you may need to "monitor" the half choke and off choke till they will run.

but as stated above, pilots are a big issue with all carbed engines. if you dont treat the fuel, or drain the carbs, you will have issues sooner or later. and the later may be a burnt down cylinder due to leaning the pilot circut. ski

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
there is no issue getting them started after they have been running. or if they were running a day or two before. its if they have sat for a week or more. i know all about the chokes and how they operate. and believe me, we have tried it all.

anybody out there try the primer idea?

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
yes yammy 1320 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh, the mystery of the triple 700 starting poorly after storage...

Definitely use a fuel stabilizer, but also have a good look at your carb boots. If they are at all cracked it will be a b!tch to start.

I use a little trick that works well after long periods of no use: give it a small shot of butane in one of the vacuum lines (it will start first pull) and keep feeding it till it can run itself. A little tricky but works every time, won't foul plugs and safer than ether. Same way we start alcohol and nitro drag engines! Just don't give it too much... :)

P
Sep 16, 2008
Idaho
Amen to the carb boots. You will be better served to put a size larger pilot jet. Install NEW ones so they don't have any varnish or debris in them. Also check your float level to make sure it is correct so you are not starving them for fuel. Sitting for over 30 days will cause varnish buildup.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
One more thing on cold starts using the choke. DONT touch the throttle at all. If you open it at all you loose the signal in the choke circuit and it wont pull in the fuel. I put several thousand miles on yammy tripples that all use that same carb rack. 97,98,98,00,01,02,02 thats close to 30,000 miles on 7 different sleds :) Eric

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
One more thing on cold starts using the choke. DONT touch the throttle at all. If you open it at all you loose the signal in the choke circuit and it wont pull in the fuel. I put several thousand miles on yammy tripples that all use that same carb rack. 97,98,98,00,01,02,02 thats close to 30,000 miles on 7 different sleds :) Eric

so, lets say that i set it to full choke. and i pull it a couple times and it doesn't fire. then my buddy says, hey try cracking the throttle a little. doing that will affect the choke? i never knew that. that could be the answer to the problem. i wonder if the same holds true to the rotary valve skidoos i used to own. hmmm

R
Nov 26, 2007
Saskatchewan
I had a 98 and a 2000 and a 2001 700 and I was always amazed at well they started. I would store mine for the suummer and in the fall they would always start in 3 to 5 pulls and then it would fire on the 2nd pull every time. Always full choke till it fired and then 1/2 choke to keep it going, maybe 30 seconds and then choke off. I would never give it throttle.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
I had a 98 and a 2000 and a 2001 700 and I was always amazed at well they started. I would store mine for the suummer and in the fall they would always start in 3 to 5 pulls and then it would fire on the 2nd pull every time. Always full choke till it fired and then 1/2 choke to keep it going, maybe 30 seconds and then choke off. I would never give it throttle.

you are one lucky guy

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
Amen to the carb boots. You will be better served to put a size larger pilot jet. Install NEW ones so they don't have any varnish or debris in them. Also check your float level to make sure it is correct so you are not starving them for fuel. Sitting for over 30 days will cause varnish buildup.

so now, in regards to the 03 viper mtn, my buddy changes jets when he goes out west. sounds like he just picked up another whole set of carbs so he is going to set up one for here and one for the bighorns.

so should he take the specs for here and for the horns and go up one size on the pilot jets for both?

Premium Features