• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

503f updates.

P
Aug 12, 2009
Hello from Finland!
I hawe 503 snow hawk, it is totally original, and have non update. What kind updates I should make that woluld get it ride perfect. Engine, ski, suspension? I gonna get it ready to winter! :)
My second question is about light. Front and rear light doesnt work. I have cheked all wires and they are okay, also lamps is ok. What it could be?
-tt

Last edited:
T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
What kind updates I should make that woluld get it ride perfect. Engine, ski, suspension? I gonna get it ready to winter! :)

Besides getting the right main jets for your elevation and the set back ski adaptor and the snow Tracker kit, Clutching is definetly something you want to have a look at. This primary clutch you have there that looks like a salad bowl must be replace by a better unit. A couple riders here on the forum got a polaris P-85 primary teamed up with a Arctic Cat Roller secondary with good results. You 503 gurus might wanna give our finland hawker cousin your recipe for unbeatable clutching !

I bet it's pretty hard to find parts like these in Finland isn't it ?

Good luck !

TLKD

P
Aug 12, 2009
thanks for answers. I find few potential wire-problem, gonna fix them.
Is skidoo rev -04 ski okay if I install it? Would it work without set back structure? At least it seems like real hawk ski, better than original.

Its pretty hard to find here parts on thes. SnowHawks are here very unique. Engine parts is easy to find, but hawks own parts are difficult.

Can rails poke throw track on 503, do I need wheel kit on my?

My secondary drive belt snap twise last winter. Anyone else have same problem? Is there something stronger variant? Maybe chain drive would be more reliable?

Main jets are 220 and 205. Last winter my engine was broken twise, mixture was too lean. I gonna instal main jets 240 and 215. I drive at sea level to 300meters, we dont have higher mountains here.

You sure that on different clutch this would work better? it ride pretty good now, sure need to replace it?

Front suspension is good, but rear suspension is too soft. I need more absorbing. Can it be done easy? higher oil wiskosity?

What is snow tracker kit? show me photo.

-tt

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Utah
Is skidoo rev -04 ski okay if I install it? Would it work without set back structure? At least it seems like real hawk ski, better than original.

-tt

Don't know about that..... That ski is narrow..Might work OK if you only ride on ice and really hardpack conditions. But the factory ski has so much more metal hanging out that it gets a pretty good bite in those conditions. So if you want to use that ski, you might want to double the height of the skags and throw some more metal outside them for some good bite.

If you got any powder to ride in then don't even consider putting that skin on.

:beer;:beer;:beer;

If you have no light at all you can check your Light Relay on steering plate.If there is no epoxy on the pin,You might have problem with that cause they get loose and you ran out of light like i did last year.I know some of 503 where getting lighting stator shorted .You can test that out with ohmeter.

Good luck

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
503 questions and setups

I have two 503's and love them, a 121in track and a 136in track.

Lets start from the beginning.

Ski's
Do you have the old moon ski on there now?? If so take it off and throw it away. I am not sure on the ski doo ski, someone here like Cailen or Tony might be able to answer that one for you. If not go with the updated Ski, Look on AD Bovin's website. I think the Simmons ski would not be appropriate for what you are riding there given no mountains. What length track do you have?? If you are a 121, then you will be fine without a setback (actually do not use a setback if you are a 121), but if you have a 136, I would recommend a setback for you, you will love it. Also go with the anti-darting kit it will make your machine very stable a night and day difference from what it is now.
Most of us with the 503's have the 8 gallon fuel tanks. You can go all day on this.
Like Tony said make sure your jetting is right for that elevation.
Ok, clutching.
You think it is ok now and it seems all great. Wait until you switch. The best think you can do performance wise for that machine is to re-clutch it.
You could keep your primary for starters, and go with an Arctic Cat secondary, use the red spring with a white dot and a 45 degree helix. If you do not change your jackshaft out to fit this you will need to step your key.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134781&page=2
sleder 2 makes most of what I have mentioned.
As for your lighting. Go with a headlight voltage regulator, use it in line for your lighting.
You can PM me on this if you would like.

Last edited:
P
Aug 12, 2009
I have short track on my hawk, 121in. I ride usually on track for snowmobiles, but sometimes powder too.
Ski: Now there is original bream, it ugly and not good ride. Ski doos ski; this is what I mean. www.nettimoto.com/748386 same ski, maybe put there more steel on edges. Maybe I should install some different ski?
What arctic cat secondary you recomend? What model and year? And what primary clutch?
About light: I found fuse, it was melted totally! :eek: Imagine, fuses plastic frame was melted!! Maybe there is short or something..
About bigger tank, hard to find part in finland. Gonna just refuel it more. I cut off my hawk into little peases. Order allready new pistons and jets. Old pistons was full of scratsh.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
Parts

new ski sh-25A this is a complete ski with twin axis asm carbides and snow-tracker kit. in stock for 350.00 bolt on and go with confidence. I also have a used ski setback for sale and a new one 225.00 for used one 381.53 for used one. A comet clutch would be the easy way to go for the primary can get those for around 300.00. Hope this helps.

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Clutching

Bud,
Can you set in here and give this guy a hand as to what Artic Cat secondary to use.
As for a Primary, I am running a P-85 go for the 1999 to 2002 version it is a direct bolt on. As for weights in the clutch, I am still messing with that so I cannot give you an answer. You will also need to go to a bigger belt when you go to a different secondary. I can get you the artic cat # here in a day or two.

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Tiny Tach

Or go with the Tiny Tach, For setting up clutching you will need to engine RPM.
I think $40usd will get you a tiny tach

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I put a vapor on my hawk and the speedometer will not work. Tried everything do you have any suggestions?

J$L has a great deal on the Vapor.. From what I understand setting up the speedo portion has some issues on the hawk.. Les what have you done to correct it, or are you not having any issues?

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
vapor

I know the speedo is the weak link. it will work but only to 40mph then goes stupid. still nice to tell track speed on climbs. nothing much as far as setup goes, just make a little bracket to mount the pickup sensor to and program and all good.

Premium Features