• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon, Assualt, and year choice

goinxtreme119

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Helena, MT
Hi I know there are some posts out there about some of this but looking to see if any fresh ideas.

I am looking at dragon 155" or 163" in either the 08 800 or 09 800, or the 09 Assualt.
I have raced snocross for ten years just got out of it and been back in college. I run a Arcticcat crossfire 700 snopro currently with 136" x 2".
Raced Polaris mostly but last year picked up sponsorship from arcticcat but would like to get back to polaris just not seeing what I like in the M series right now without going 2010.

I ride hard on trails to the snow then love to boondock, put the highmark mostly put a line where no one else at time wants too, and can't resist a good jump.

I am living in Bozeman, Mt and ride all over around here 5000ft plus with some awesome snow when we get it.

Any opinions on which sled and its benefits?

Is there much difference between 08 and 09 sleds?

Thanks

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
If you want to highmark or move through the deep I'd go for the Dragon. That's what I did. I like to jump around a little myself, so I changed the front of mine to the Holz setup with the Fox Float Evol shocks. I plan to change the back shocks too. I also put a challenger extreme on. So I have a mix between the two sleds. I think it was better to go this route than to longtrack the Assault because I'm not fond of the WE's even though they are different on the Assault. Plus, I liked the white better than the red!

goinxtreme119

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Helena, MT
If you want to highmark or move through the deep I'd go for the Dragon. That's what I did. I like to jump around a little myself, so I changed the front of mine to the Holz setup with the Fox Float Evol shocks. I plan to change the back shocks too. I also put a challenger extreme on. So I have a mix between the two sleds. I think it was better to go this route than to longtrack the Assault because I'm not fond of the WE's even though they are different on the Assault. Plus, I liked the white better than the red!

Thanks for the input, I have been trying take jumping sleds forever and make mountain sleds everyone seems say easier make mountain sled tough enough to jump easier and cheaper.

Any thoughts on differences of year 08 vs 09? Is it worth it to go newer?

P

pumpnlead

Jan 14, 2008
Nebraska Panhandle
09's have a stronger rail design and are missing a set of wheels (to drop advertised weight for better sales). If you like to jump cornaces, an '09 may be a better choice. If I had an 09 though, the first thing I would do is add the extra weight and put on the bogey wheel kit... guys with 09's really complain about the hyfax life, even with the scratchers down on the trail. MY two cents.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
09's have a stronger rail design and are missing a set of wheels (to drop advertised weight for better sales). If you like to jump cornaces, an '09 may be a better choice. If I had an 09 though, the first thing I would do is add the extra weight and put on the bogey wheel kit... guys with 09's really complain about the hyfax life, even with the scratchers down on the trail. MY two cents.

09 D8's have a lighter rail because it is drilled out. I don't know if that would be any stronger than previous years. Seems it would be weaker if anything. If you want to do a rear suspension from the likes of Holz, Timbersled, etc you will need to buy new rails for this reason.

My hifax was fine but I was very careful to use my scratchers on the trails. The 09 DRAGON (not RMK - non Dragon) does have better bars and controls (IMO). The tractor control is gone and replaced by better bars and moved controls to the dash. Better (supposedly) race brake and rotor, lighter rails and lighter spindle. The 09 track is garbage, most people are changing them out for Challenger Extremes. Early build (snow check) 09's had regulator problems. Fixed in later builds.

I would buy the 09 just for the front end change. Narrower plastic, different sway bar and all the light goodies.

EDIT: Rumor has it that Polaris is going to do the engine fix for both 2008/2009 motors (that have not been modified).

P

pumpnlead

Jan 14, 2008
Nebraska Panhandle
Polaris advertised the 2009 rails as "lighter and stonger" than the '08's, that's what I am going off of. It does appear to me that the engineering on the 09 design is much more impact resistant. I do agree that they have a better brake system. They also have a magnesium chaincase cover which is an improvement over the plastic p.o.s. on the 07 and 08 dragons.

W
May 14, 2008
Iron Range
Don't forget about the track difference, the assault is so stiff, It great in the hero snow but just come up short on the pow.

Living in MN it's perfect in the deepest I can find here, but when I was out in Island Park this last year it just falls short in the pow.

I would think of a camo extreme for the assault if That your avenue. I am.

F

freerideordie

Dec 24, 2007
B.C.
i had a blast on my assault last year. the track is a little stiff for the deep pow days, but on the trail, and set-up days its awsome. if you dont weigh 200# i say get an assault and a second track for early season rippin:cool:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Are you capable and interested in building a sled or do you just want to buy one ready to go and ride?

First off there is a notible difference in the plastic and it's slightly performance related but mostly a durability situation between the 08-09 on the Polaris IQ RAW chassis irregardless of model. Get 09 plastic or if the 08 candidate is cheap enough factor in converting ($390-$490).

Also there is a recall coming on the 08-09 800 (I've heard head, map, pistons but don't know if it's cylinders complete and additional upper end componants) but the unknown is how and exactly when it's going to be handled from a warranty standpoint. First owner...any owner... preference...shop ect ect. Just be aware that could be an issue.

Now the biggie and your original question...
You can feel the performance difference from 144-146 to the 155. Just that added minor length eats power, agility, and suspension durability if you're really airing it out. It's a series of sacrefices because you are going to run into days when the added flotation of the 155 get's you from point A to point B when the 144-146 (pretty much have to either trim or replace the factory assault track as it's seriously wanting in all around free riding conditions) track just can't keep the sled on the top and go where the longer track will under the same vehicle and rider. Super skilled and light weight pilot can compensate for alot of track length. If you're a freak you'll do almost just as well on a shorter track and if you are like me you'll enjoy the all around more on the shorter sled. Here are my two daily riders for reference. One short...one long...both rip and are a blast but most of the time I have more smiles from the shortie. Put the poop and ride of the Carl's Twin Pipe 800 and that killer HOLZ suspension and then don't go riding with guys who spend time in the no drop zones and I'd only need one sled.

attachment.php

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Double ring pistons , map and a low compresion head w/ protruded tip spark plugs, everyone gets em and a warranty til march 2010, I'm told before the snow flies we'll see thou

goinxtreme119

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Helena, MT
build sled

I am capable of building sled... have built several sno-cross mods, and then taken and turned into long tracks (well 136"). I am really thinking that I will be better going with the assualt since I beat my sleds bad on trails and whoops and spend alot time airing them out and then like to be able to highmark.

Couldn't tell with your pics what sleds you were running, I am thinking of getting the assualt and putting a 155" rear end on it.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
This has been a conversation since the announcement of the Assault. We would all love one but on days when the powder is bottomless, it just won't do the same as the Dragon RMK. I've seen a lot of long tracked Assaults and I'm not sure why you would do that unless you bought the Holz, Timbersled or other suspension skid and track. I have the WE's in stock form on my RMK and got rid of them. I also have them on my IQR. I just like the Floats better so that's why I bought the Dragon RMK and made a more aggresive sled instead of buying the Assault and making it a better powder sled. I suppose you could go either way and it's a matter of money at that point.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I am in the same situation as you. I have been eye-balling Assaults and Dragons. I really can't find the length of Dragon I want, I am really only seeing used 163's which I think is too long for the riding I do.

FTR there is a recall out for Assaults. Something with the rails breaking and stabbing the track, obviously ejecting the rider, LOL. Polaris replacing the prone parts, but you should know in case you go the Assault route so you can have it updated.

goinxtreme119

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Helena, MT
recalls

Yes the assaults do have a recall out on the rear mounting bolts for the suspension, don't know the fix.

And the 800 motors also have had couple recall fixes with a piston one out changing it to double rings on piston instead of two. All free at your dealer:)

And yes I am really thinking that my complaints with my mod sleds have been just don't seem to be able get handle like the RMk's in the deep, and can always replace bent things which gives good excuse to upgrade.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Black and white is a 07 144 Carls Big Bore 660 carbed with 09 plastic and rails. Carl's did the WE shocks for me...while they work or worked well they were very limited in there ability to take serious poundings. It's a two to three time a year rebuild process and that is very irritating. Then I experienced the Fox Evol X and now I'm ruined. KILLER KILLER shocks if you like to get with it and want the ability to dial/pump in a setup.

Red Black is 09 regular RMK 155...all running componants stripped off and replaced with Holz front suspension with Fox Evol X and the rear is the prototype Holz Alpha-X rear skid. Irregardless of who you are, buy, or support this is certainly one of the best of the best. Trimmed and screwed stock 09 track, 800 twin pipe race gas setup.

The reason I asked if you wanted a buy and fly sled is that I don't believe you can store buy a sled that is perfect for your wants. Kind of a tuffy to coach because in my mind for a guy that hauls a$$, hucks, and then also wants the ability to free climb (essentially an all around high performance free ride cross over sled used in the mtns of the western us and ca) the better all around sled is the shorter track yet I hear you saying 155.

Me after building both...I'd look 08 (with plans to change the plastic and rails) if it was really cheap, low time, and perfect or an 09 144 800 shift or swift what ever they call the 09 144 800 with the 2" track in plain jane. Then I'd do exactly what I did with the example 155 800 shown above BUT one huge deal is Holz doesn't make a 144 Alpha-X (I'd do the best shocks money can buy and Ti coils until they did)..then I'd replace the track with a camo extreme which I would immediately cut down and insert screws just like I do to all of my tracks. Aftermarket handle bars and risers, select venting, Better Boards (custom made for you since your a jumper) twin pipes and a Carls clutch kit. All told about $12,500 and it will KILL an Assault in every aspect including YOUR DAILY RIDING SMILE! (now the beauty of any of the 800's is you are getting a new top end so we all get a free year and some get two) The price of sleds are dirt cheap new and used so if you have money it's a fun time to be in the market.

Q's about known problems: There was a recall on all Assaults front track clip failure causing sudden stabbing on few documented failures. That's all been taken care of. Like previously mentioned the 800 engine deal is not an official recall but the "scuttlebutt" is that it is coming while they figure out inventories, timing, and qualifications. Mine worked great all year but I'm happy to have won the sled lottery and get a new top end for another awesome year of riding one of the funnest all around sleds I've ever straddled. (I get to ride alot of really really sweet stuff in my work!)

Premium Features