• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Av Beacons

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
okay, so it's basically waht i thought it was then.

any recommendations on beacons?

The BCA Tracker is the most widely used beacon. It is very easy to use and very reliable. BCA is also coming out with a tracker 2 later this year....hopefully it will be released by October.

The Pieps DSP is also a great choice. It has further range than the tracker and in my opinion is easier to use on multiple burial situations. However, this beacon is a little more expensive.

Feel free to ask us any questions related to Avy gear!

H
Nov 16, 2008
After all the avalanche courses I ran last season, The Pieps DSP was the best I have seen in a few different categories.

1. range. in range checks they both got picked up and could pick up other beacons at the greatest range.

2. speed. of all the new people learning to use beacons, the ones with DSP's were way faster at finding burried beacons. so easy to use and accurate.

3. ability to flag a victim in order to find a 2nd or 3rd victim. very handy although you hope your group rides smart enough so you never have to search for more than 1 person at a time!

the only downfall is it goes through batteries a little faster than some. but who cares! worth the money. make sure your buddies have good beacons too!

Last edited:
I ride with a Pieps DSP for 2 main reasons: range and accuracy. The Pieps has the longest range of almost any digital beacon out there. And three antennas give it very accurate pinpointing, especially in deeper burials. Of course it's a piece of cake for finding multiples too, but the chances of a multiple burial situation are very slim. One more thing I like about the Pieps is the ability to upgrade whenever software updates are available. I've played with BCA's Tracker2 a bit too, and it's looking like it'll be a great beacon. Lightning fast and it has three antennas too. Hopefully it's released soon. BCA is known for ease of use, and that really matters when you're full of adrenaline and somebody's life is on the line.

Premium Features