• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with picking bumper and skid plate for 09 dragon

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I did the TreeDog bumper and Skinz float plate. Very happy with both.

100_6850.jpg

100_6724.jpg

Did the Polaris A-Arm covers on the 07 with stock arms, looked good.

100_6732.jpg

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
do not get the skinz float plate, it does not fit with out having to cut it alot. if I was going to buy a bumper and a skid plate I would buy the one fastrax sells. I decided not to run a skid plate since the polaris one does not really protect much and the skinz one flat out sucks and is over prices for what it is.

827revdog

Jun 18, 2008
michigan
the fastraxx cobe bumper is a nice looking piece. wish it covered more of the bottom of the sled. wonder if a polaris plate will fit with it. maybe fastraxx will chime in with a answer or solution. i ordered an 2010 and looking hard at this bumper. i agree i dont care for the fit of the float plate. installed on on my 07, fit like crap. helped a buddy do his 09,had to send it back and get another only to have to trim that one also.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I'm very happy with my Skinz bumper with a factory Polaris skid plate. Both fit and function great. Get rid of the plastic bumper...all it takes is a "little" hit to damage a lot of plastic in the front.

The TCP bumper with intigrated skid plate is very strong also. I just didn't want to cut the entire front plastic off or spend days trying to modify the plastic to keep it in place.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
My sled is an 08, but I have been very happy with my Skinz bumper and float plate. I needed some help installing the float plate but it fit perfect. My sled looks like a Skinz advertizement, with the seat cover, shock covers and hand gaurds, all good quality functional stuff IMO.

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
have both skinz bumper and plate on my 09. Bumper is very stout, 3" tree no problem and very easy to install. Lots of trimming on the plate if you have an 09, fits great on an 08, but when all said and done it looks good, serves the purpose well. Very happy with both except having to trim the plate, but I would buy it again over the polaris plate

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I have a skinz bumper and float plate on order as my buddy has that setup on his sled (06) and I am extremely impressed with how heavy duty the entire setup is. His plate did require a little trimming, but after it was all said and done it turned out great and does the job well!

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I have the SKinz bumper and float plate on my 08 600. Fit great and functions great. I helped install a SKinz bumper and float plate on a friends 09 600. Didn't have any problems with the float plate needing trimming. An added benefit was being able to adjust the hood when installing the bumper. We were able to get a better fit for the hood than when he picked it up from the dealer.

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
Thanks for the imput. Sounds like i would have to do a fair amount of trimming with skinz on a 09. I have problem buying things that dont fit. When you pay good money for a product you should not have to redo it. I would allso like to know like revdog if other plates or polaris ones work with Fastraxx cobe.I like skinz products but you have me shying away from there skid plate when i will have to put it on by myself.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
Thanks for the imput. Sounds like i would have to do a fair amount of trimming with skinz on a 09. I have problem buying things that dont fit. When you pay good money for a product you should not have to redo it. I would allso like to know like revdog if other plates or polaris ones work with Fastraxx cobe.I like skinz products but you have me shying away from there skid plate when i will have to put it on by myself.

I would imagine there other products are good, was just very dissapointed in the float plate that did not fit and I sent it in and they guaranteed it would fit right when I got it back but it did not. I took it back to the shop I bought it from and had to wait for a few months to get my money back because it took so long for me to return it after dealing with all of this.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
The extra thickness of a float plate would pivot the bumper upward in the front which will affect the hood and bodywork fit at the nose of the sled.You may be able to get around it with some bracket modifications but I couldn't guarantee anything until we try it ourselves..this bumper was designed to really fit clean and hug the bodywork so it looks like it belongs there instead of looking like an add on.
We are in development with a carbon fiber skidplate option that will bolt up to all past and present Cobe bumpers.While we don't intend for it to be a "float plate" , we do intend for it to protect the bottom of the bulkhead...it will be wider and longer than our existing skidplate and will be an option on all past and future bumpers.
Also please note that pricing has gone up on our bodywork and bumper kits...new pricing is posted on the website. We hate to do it, but Polaris has upped the pricing to us on the body parts a bunch and materials have gone up on the bumpers...we held out as long as we could for ya!
The folks that called and prepaid for the current build WILL recieve the old pricing and we thank you all for your business through the summer!

By the way, thanks to the fellas that stepped out and tried our body conversion on the 900's! It appears to be a good fit with a little ingenuity, mainly in the intake area.

curt

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm not poking at anyone or flamming...

But, why spend the extra money on the Cobe bumber? The Skinz bumper is cheaper by $180.00. Once again, I'm just trying to determine if there is a reason for the extra money. I'm looking to buy one for my 09 D8 and I will spend more if there is a reason to.

Cobe bumper
Skinz bumper

But, why spend the extra money on the Cobe bumber? The Skinz bumper is cheaper by $180.00. Once again, I'm just trying to determine if there is a reason for the extra money. I'm looking to buy one for my 09 D8 and I will spend more if there is a reason to.]

these two bumpers are for two different sleds, the skinz bumper is aluminum and the cobe bumper is chromoly and helps protect the body work better

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

But, why spend the extra money on the Cobe bumber? The Skinz bumper is cheaper by $180.00. Once again, I'm just trying to determine if there is a reason for the extra money. I'm looking to buy one for my 09 D8 and I will spend more if there is a reason to.]

these two bumpers are for two different sleds, the skinz bumper is aluminum and the cobe bumper is chromoly and helps protect the body work better

Thanks. But both bumpers are available for my 09 D8 right?

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
Here are some pics of Smasher from Team Summit with the CoBe/Fastrax bumper with a Polaris skid plate. He is hard on equipment and needed all the protection he can get.

Like Curt said, the plan for the carbon skid plate which is still in development will offer more protection to the bottom.

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
The Skinz bumper is Aluminum chromalloy. Just the right strength if you ask me. They've been tested :rolleyes: You don't want bumpers to be too strong as the force will be transferred to the bulkhead or other areas. Much thought has to go into these including fold points.
And yes I sell their products so I'm obviously biased. I sell them because I believe in them. That said I haven't tried a lot of the other stuff out there so I am in no way saying anything negative towards it. There are many good products out there.
As for the float plates, it seems some people have issues mounting them, but most don't. I don't think I've had a single customer with an issue. Fitment issues could possibly even be due to assembly variances from Polaris as it seems no 2 sleds are the same. Which would seem why not everything lines up. There are 2styles of the float plate. One up to 08 and then 09/10.

Premium Features