• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gps

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T
Jul 30, 2009
I am looking for a better GPS set up than the handhelds...tired of some of the common issues that just become annoying after awile...

anyways, looking into a Garmin Zumo 550...this is designed for motorbikes so it is rugged and waterproof and will mount right to the handle bars so you can use it while you are riding - hopefully would be good for those socked in days...i see they have downloadable maps for the backcountry showing terrian and elevations...not sure how detailed and acurate these are...

the unit is pretty pricey though so want to see if anyone has had any experiences with it and see what their feedback was before i ran out and bought one...or if there is a similiar unit out there somewhere that i have missed please let me know.

thanks

T
Jul 30, 2009
ya some of the guys i ride with have the rhino's....they are pretty good...but still have the issue of them having to stop and take them out of their jacket all the time...looking for something that i can mount on the bars, use with gloves on and plug into the sled for power...

i want something that can be my eyes when i can't see....something i can use to follow a previously logged while i'm riding to follow a trail when it's socked in....something i can glance down at while climbing to make sure i'm not too close to the edge...something to that effect anyway...point is - i have a hand held now but looking for something better...i know that you can't ride by solely looking at the GPS - but i want to find the closest possible so you can try to get above or around the socked in areas...it's a long drive to revy just to sit at the cabin cause you can't see...

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
If you're lookin for info on the motorcycle GPSs, advrider has a whole forum for GPS nerds. Lots of good info there, but obviously it's geared for two wheels.

Bought a 60csx a few months ago and couldn't be happier with it. I'd go with City Navigator over the topo maps, the POIs on CN are actually useful compared to the garbage in the topo's. Ram Mount makes the best mount kit for most anything, GPS included.

A GPS is just a guide, it's not a replacement for riding skills and common sense. If you're in a whiteout, stop and wait it out... don't risk doing something dumb like following a GPS breadcrumb trail. I think the "I have a GPS, i won't get lost" attitude will only get you in trouble. Yeah, they're great... I don't ride without it... but if batteries die, you'd better be able to navigate without the GPS. Don't be lulled into that false sense of security just because you have elecronics.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have a Garmin Colorado on my REV. I have it set-up so that I can run it powered by the sled. The Colorado and cold days don’t work great for batteries, so the hard wire was a must. But I was able to get all the MN, WI and MI snowmobile maps which have a ton of great info on them. I also have the Topo maps (US & Canada, sections) loaded on the unit and the City Navigator On the SD card. We have used the GPS a couple times to get back from getting a turned around. The important part is knowing how to used it if you HAVE to.

Good luck with your search!

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
ya some of the guys i ride with have the rhino's....they are pretty good...but still have the issue of them having to stop and take them out of their jacket all the time...looking for something that i can mount on the bars, use with gloves on and plug into the sled for power...

i want something that can be my eyes when i can't see....something i can use to follow a previously logged while i'm riding to follow a trail when it's socked in....something i can glance down at while climbing to make sure i'm not too close to the edge...something to that effect anyway...point is - i have a hand held now but looking for something better...i know that you can't ride by solely looking at the GPS - but i want to find the closest possible so you can try to get above or around the socked in areas...it's a long drive to revy just to sit at the cabin cause you can't see...

Garman sells a bar mount, I use it and it works great with my Rhino.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I have a Garmin Colorado on my REV. I have it set-up so that I can run it powered by the sled. The Colorado and cold days don’t work great for batteries, so the hard wire was a must. But I was able to get all the MN, WI and MI snowmobile maps which have a ton of great info on them. I also have the Topo maps (US & Canada, sections) loaded on the unit and the City Navigator On the SD card. We have used the GPS a couple times to get back from getting a turned around. The important part is knowing how to used it if you HAVE to.

Good luck with your search!

How did you hard wire it or does it come with a hard wire kit? They don't make a hard wire kit for the Rhino yet.

M

mtncat800

Nov 26, 2007
Central Iowa
Garmin Oregon 400T, with the marine mounted on the dash in front og the Speedometer. Love it. Zoom into 500ft on the topo side and you can see everything. Simple to use, waterproof. Lithium batteries will get you two days of riding. I will probably look into hard wireing for this year.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
How did you hard wire it or does it come with a hard wire kit? They don't make a hard wire kit for the Rhino yet.

pfranc.com , get the 4-pin round. Red and black go to pos and neg on the sled.

Cost you about $10; There's your hard-wire kit.

D
Nov 26, 2007
From Away
I use my Zumo on my sleds and bikes. Hard wire it to 12VDC or Acc. plug. Works well in cold weather, color screen and touch screen features work great. I use topo maps loaded on a chip and than put in zumo when using sled. Nice to download trips to computer and show friends where we have been. Mounted with RAM mounts on both sled and bike. It's not radar. It will show you which way the trail or road turns ahead of you but will not show another sled or whatever in the way. You still have to use your head. They are generally good for 10 Meters. That will put you over the edge on many trails I ride on.
sledgpsview.jpg

sno-gps3.jpg

tankbag1.jpg

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Garmin Rino
They are the stuff for outdoor use.
The two way radio is VERY handy. Also the ability to POLL your friends location is SWEET!!! If you and your friends have them (everyone i ride with has one. You can get there location using the two way radio. Then you can see where there are on you map. VERY handy when johnny disappears into the trees and you can find him. www.Ram-mounts.com They make great mounts for them, I have mine nounted between my tach and speedo.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I didn't read all 6 pages of replies, but I tend to hit the handlebars when I crash, so that wouldnt work too well for me. we got handlebar bags at the snow show last year, and the rino fits perfect in the side pocket. i'm still searching for a shoulder strap holster for my backpack, that way I can use the firefox throat mic setup. no luck yet.

it would be nice to have a mount on the fairing though, that way if you got into white-out conditions, you could ride slow, and use the instrument to guide you, but I wouldn't want to do that all the time.

I like our rino 530Hcx so we can pole others, and find locations. not perfect, but better than just 'hey, where are you?", and 'over here'

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I didn't read all 6 pages of replies, but I tend to hit the handlebars when I crash, so that wouldnt work too well for me.

I have a mount for my handlebars, it puts the radio under my mountain bar. More forward than DaveRT's pics, ie harder for your body to hit. For MOST instances the mountain bar keeps the radio safe. But for rolling, no. I have the radio on a tether for the "just in case". Other than that, I have NO complaints of having the radio located there. :)

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
We use the Garmin eTrex Vista HCS and it works great. I had a RAM mount, but didn't like it on my handle bars. I am looking for one to mount to my backpack.

H

HOTRODREDNECK

Oct 28, 2008
COLORADO
i mounted my etrex summit with garmins boat mount on my hood just infront of the speedo. it's ajustable in any direction so you can see it and it's semi-protected in case of a rollover. works great.

K
Mar 16, 2008
I use my Garmin 60 CSX with lithium batteries. The batteries are good to -40F, and I have never had trouble. It is mounted on my handlebars, and I never lose reception.

Premium Features