• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new F150 or silverado

I
Nov 26, 2007
I'm looking at an 08/09 F150 or an 09 1500 Silverado. I'm convinced it's one of these 2 trucks, or a used 6.4 but there's already a thread about that :D

Who's got one? Like it? What don't you like?

Prices are similar, similarly equipped except the silverado has the 6.2 which I want, but don't need (although I've almost convinced myself otherwise). The ford is a better color (don't judge me).

I dislike my chevy dealer and am indifferent towards the local ford dealer, would be buying the ford 350 miles away...the chevy in idaho :rolleyes:

Some one make the call for me, I can't decide.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Didn't know you can get a 6.2L in a regular silverado now wonder if they offer it in the 2500 yet. I woulda jumped at a 2500 with a 6.2 last time. I ended up with a 08 F250 6.4L instead which I've been really happy with and don't regret but its not for everyone. Drove the 09 F150 other then interior there extra HP isn't noticeable over my 07 5.4L. I've drove my brother 08 1500 5.3L some and had to borrow it on the way to MT sledding last winter(long story that led to a new pickup) and I'd take the ford if you want to haul a lot and the chevy if you want something more like a car with a smoother ride and such. If its the 6.2L though I'd jump at the chevy amazing engine my dads had 2 in his Denalis lots of power great tranny attached to it and still gets good mileage.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Well icr, I've been a ford guy all my life. And if you are into politics at all, do you really want to own a GOVERMENT Motors vehicle? Now all that said, if I were to buy a new one tommorrow, it would be a new chevy. Imo, their drive trains are far better than what Ford currently has to offer, both in power and mpg's. There is no comparing the way the two ride. Hands down Chevy. Unless off course you do not want to support The Omamma politic machine.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Didn't know you can get a 6.2L in a regular silverado now wonder if they offer it in the 2500 yet. I woulda jumped at a 2500 with a 6.2 last time.

In my limited tire kicking it seems silverados get the 6.2 for 09 with the LTZ trim package only (pricey, lot of gimmicks I don't want/need).

The sierras got it in 07 or 08 I believe, but used 08 sierras are being listed for what I can get a new 09 silverado for, same options :rolleyes:

Imo, their drive trains are far better than what Ford currently has to offer, both in power and mpg's. There is no comparing the way the two ride. Hands down Chevy. Unless off course you do not want to support The Omamma politic machine.

Agreed on both points. I currently have a 1500 sierra with a 5.3 and a 4speed and it's been all I needed for 5 years...then I drove a 6.2 with a 6 speed :(

I don't want to support government motors, but I'm too selfish to buy a lesser truck based on what I feel is good for America. Plus I plan on negotiating them down to almost zero profit anyways ;)

Anyone else have comments/opinions? I'm leaning towards the chevy but the ford is much more convenient/politically correct. And a better color.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
You know my opinion but i might be biased, lol. I'll shoot you the numbers in a minute.

B
Jan 20, 2009
I love my 04 f150 and the 09 is supposed to be just that much better, i'd go f150. Havent had a single issue with mine and I have a couple friends with problem chevys. One friends 08 1500 is on his second motor already

N

NDflatlander

Nov 21, 2007
Jamestown, ND
I don't know whether or not the 07+ Avalanches have the same tranny as the 1500s, but I think I just lost my tranny last night in my Avy with 38K on it and the only thing I've pulled is a 2 place and a 17ft boat about 5 miles.

With that said, I love the ride of the Avalanche compared to my old f150 or my dad's f150.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
GM has the best gas motors, period.

Outside of that, it just depends on which truck you like the best.

S
Mar 26, 2009
Puyallup, WA
My Buddy got a 09 150 and the next week I bought a 09 Chevy. His looks good but I think the interior is not near the quality of the Chevy. Also he is getting only about 16 and I am closer to 20 mpg.

We both did leveling kits at Les Schwab. They said that the Kit on the f150 stresses the nuckels or something so it will be interesting to see if he has any problems later.

My only complaint is that with my crew cab, My bed is extra short. I wonder if I will be able to find a sled deck for a super short bed.

B
Jan 20, 2009
The chevy motors are more powerful for sure but I think the 5.4 fords are more reliable. Also with the ford the leafs springs are bigger and the shocks are mounted on the outsude of the frame. Better for haulin sleds in my opinion anyway. But the ride is a little rougher when the truck is empty

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I have an 08 silverado crew cab with the 5.3 and love it. Super quiet, rides great, great mpgs, roomy interior, tows well. I'm deffinitely a 1-ton guy at heart, but for a half ton, I really like it. Before I put 285's on I was getting 20 mpg on the highway, with 285's I get 17-18 hwy and 14-15 city. I have a leveling kit, airbags, and 285 A/T's on mine. Truck has almost 8,000 miles(bought it last October) and it rallies. Good off-road too.

And I'm not biased. I've owned every brand including 3 Fords. My reasons for buying the chevy were...
- I thought it had the best crew cab interior layout
- The 5.3 is bulletproof
- great mpg's
- handling (very tight steering, responsive, good off-road). My only nit pick would over bumps at high speed the back wants to come around a little
- had the features I wanted(manual 4x4 and windows, tow package, locking diff, vinyl flooring ect.). But I hate electronics and carpet.

The F-150 would have been my second choice and a very close one. They have a higher payload capacity which is nice, but the price was a lot higher too. Dodges feel incredibly cheap and Yotas sit to low to the ground to get off pavement. That being said, my next truck will be another lifted 1-ton :D

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'd I prefer the cheby, actually the Sierra always looks better to me but same deal. Maybe you have already, but I'd also check out a 5.7L Tundra....probably the most expensive initial price, but a very nice option as well. I've never liked the looks of F150's and the 09 still falls into that catagory....Ford gas motors always feel on the soft side as well, the 5.4L is a slug that sounds like its dying from day one (leaky manifolds, noisy valves, etc?)....the new one seems a little more polished.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Maybe you have already, but I'd also check out a 5.7L Tundra....probably the most expensive initial price, but a very nice option as well.

Checked into it, they let me drive a 5.7 crewmax unsupervised. I've heard it'll spin the tires for a ways with traction control turned off.

A couple thousand more for a crewmax but the double cabs were on par with chevy/ford. A big turn of for me was the 5.7 epa rating is 13/17 and most guys say you're lucky to get that, the chevy 6.2 is 14/19 and everyone sees that easily. So it'll cost the same or more initially and continue to cost more :(

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
My co-worker just bought a new 09 silvy LTZ with the 6.2 and 6-speed. Very nice truck. Have you tried calling any of the Anchorage dealers? It might be worth the drive down. We bought our trucks at Lithia of Anchorage and no one else could/would match the price.

I
Nov 26, 2007
My co-worker just bought a new 09 silvy LTZ with the 6.2 and 6-speed. Very nice truck. Have you tried calling any of the Anchorage dealers? It might be worth the drive down. We bought our trucks at Lithia of Anchorage and no one else could/would match the price.

I emailed one of them, they had a 'make an offer' link on their website and they responded to my offer with a link to their used vehicles page :rolleyes:

My local lithia actually got within 1500 of dave smith in idaho but the one down there has about 2K in extras and is a better color.

It's a good possibility I'll be down there sunday to do some truck shopping/powder coating, unless work gets in the way.

L

LT

Nov 20, 2008
menahga, mn.
id for sure go with the f150. not saying that the chevy isnt a good truck but i just think that the f150 is better. theres a reason that its the number one selling half ton for years and YEARS

Premium Features