• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08/09 800 recall...

greenspeed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Anchorage, AK
I'm not sure if this has been address but I like to give information to the community.

I work at a polaris dealer in alaska and last week or so I stumbled upon a document from polaris. Aka my boss showed it to me lol.

Polaris will be replacing the 4 injector set ups used on the 800's to go to a 2 injector set up covered by polaris because of the issues they had with lean burns while operating in the engines mid range. The issue was caused because as the smaller low end injectors switched to the larger high end injectors on the top end during mid range operations the injectors would pump a lean mixture into the cylinders causing lean conditions and excessive heat causing the top end to fail.

No word yet to us as to when the kits will be available or when dealers will begin the fixes. Just advise to anyone looking at buying a sled in those years or who has one. For the 2010 800's they will have the 2 injector sdi systems already.

They are only doing fixes on the 800's.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The Online fiche is often incorrect during the preseason... often showing parts that dont exist or are different from the production version.

I have heard this "2 injector" rumor as well.

Truth be told... we wont know till we see the machines and the letters/kits to the dealers start to be realeased.

I still have faith that Polaris will get these things fixed and running well.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
That would be a huge change. Which injector gets eliminated... the one in the cylinder or in the case. It would require a new fuel rail as well as wiring harness (eliminate the other 2 injectors).

Wow if this is true. LOTS of money being spent on it.

sled_guy

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I've heard the same rumors.... but I'm not jumping to any concluions.

The 4 injector setup was added to the CFi for EPA concerns in the fist place... if they figured out a way to clean it up without the second set of injectors during their intensive R&D on the "fix" for the 800 CFi problems.... well, this has a side benefit of lowering cost related to the 2 additional injectors, wiring harness and fuel rail assys for the 2010 production run.

Remember... ALL of the Validation [prototype] 2010 sleds out there in the hands of SLP, Boondockers, Carls, TCP etc are not the production version of the sled... they are simply R&D protos sent out to a selected network of dealers/aftermarket suppliers to promote the product and put it through it's paces. If the 2010 validation sleds out there had the final PRODUCTION "fix" for the 800CFi in them... there would have been kits hitting the dealers for the warrranty claim sleds out there. I doubt that the 2010 demos (validation/proto) actually had any sort of EPA certified map in them. Runing changes to meet reliability expectation can and might actuall happen on the production run of the sleds.

I'm also hearing some "noise" that Polaris will not do the 800 updates if you have added a turbo, or porting mods on your 800 CFi and that the dealers and regional service people will be tightening up a bit on watching out for mod sleds that they will not have to warranty.

I hear Pipes and Cans are an exception and dont mess with the warranty on this... but maybe twins are a diff story. .

I think GE is riding them hard to limit their exposure to cost on this one.

Kinzer... If I'm reading between the lines correctly... your concern would be that the Boondockers tubo on your sled runs on all 4 injectors.... HMMMM... looks like Cliff at BD might have to work overtime if this is a running change on the 2010's and acually IS part of the "fix" on the 08/09's. I doubt that the obviously turbo'd sleds will be covered under this warranty fix anyway.

To be fair to Polaris... IMO... the turbo sleds and all the extra wear and tear created by making 200+ HP in something that was designed for 150 max ...more like 125 at altitude... work outside of the intended warranty coverage to start with.

I dont know if I would expect to see any Aug/Sept delivery of any of the 2010 800cfi sleds no matter what the dealers are expecting.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
SledGuy,

The upper injectors would probably be the ones to goe IF this is true.

The CFi-2's run the case injectors..

The Cyls and rail could potentially stay the same with a plug in the injector location or by simply "turning off" that pair of injectors in the ECU program (AKA map).

M

magic23

Dec 2, 2007
its looks like two ring pistons,new cylinder,new head,and the silencer from the 700,and the pipe also has a new part number

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Polaris does reserve the right to change specifications at anytime it sees fit, things change when production arrives.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Kinzer... If I'm reading between the lines correctly... your concern would be that the Boondockers tubo on your sled runs on all 4 injectors.... HMMMM... looks like Cliff at BD might have to work overtime if this is a running change on the 2010's and acually IS part of the "fix" on the 08/09's. I doubt that the obviously turbo'd sleds will be covered under this warranty fix anyway.

To be fair to Polaris... IMO... the turbo sleds and all the extra wear and tear created by making 200+ HP in something that was designed for 150 max ...more like 125 at altitude... work outside of the intended warranty coverage to start with.

I could maybe see not replacing burnt pistons on a turbo sled, but I think polaris should have to supply turbo owners with the update as well as NA owners. If the NA guys are burning down it's hard to say the turbo causes more problems than already exist with the engine.

greenspeed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Anchorage, AK
SledGuy,

The upper injectors would probably be the ones to goe IF this is true.

The CFi-2's run the case injectors..

The Cyls and rail could potentially stay the same with a plug in the injector location or by simply "turning off" that pair of injectors in the ECU program (AKA map).

I asked about that and it seems since it would be SDI that it would be the case ones that are kept and that's what my boss said it would be too.

As far as turbo guys go, basically it's the same with any car under factory warrantys, if you modify the vehicle in any way that differs from the factory they can deny you an update or a claim. For example, gm put out a bulletin for the SS SC cobalts when they came out saying that "Excessive wheel hop can cause the transmission cases to crack, this driving style is not considered normal use and wear and tear and not covered under the factory warranty" basically wheel hop would tear the mounts right off the transmissions and fracture the aluminum cases. A subaru sti that you put a larger turbo on and still had the ring landing failures subaru knew about denied claims on those too. Basically any modification on almost any vehicle voids the warranty and some updates.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I had no troubles turboed with the Purelogic controller and am not changing mine,,also had several freinds with NA dragons using the PL box and had no issues all season, this is just a way to meet emissions and I dont belive has any thing to do with performance, I think they are way to lean and when you richen them in the right spots they run like scalded *** apes.Now the two ring piston that I,m intrested in!!!

greenspeed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Anchorage, AK
I had no troubles turboed with the Purelogic controller and am not changing mine,,also had several freinds with NA dragons using the PL box and had no issues all season, this is just a way to meet emissions and I dont belive has any thing to do with performance, I think they are way to lean and when you richen them in the right spots they run like scalded *** apes.Now the two ring piston that I,m intrested in!!!

i thought doo was the only ones who had 1 rings and everyone went 2 after the whole 03 rev incident

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
If it is a true "update", doesn't that mean everyone with that particular model gets the "update"? It seems like that is the way it has worked in the past.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
The "way things have been in the past " is just that... the past.
With the digital wrench and online Vin# tracking in "unit inquirys".. the factory has a much easier time tracking your sled and it's mods.

On top of that...if the map is changed... there is no telling how the sled will run on boost.... especially if they tighten up or change the Detonation sensor thresholds.

That being said, I'm sure that the top turbo mfgs out there will be on top of this and will have their systems compatible with the changes.... but even they will not have the "new" or "fixed" 800's that will reach the consumer till after the production sleds hit the snow... They will have to travel pretty far to test this year and find good snow before the season starts.

With the need to keep losses down and profit for shareholders up in this economy of tightenting budgets... Polaris with thier financial/warranty supplier GE, is getting tight on everything.

With the sheer number of 800 CFi's out there in 08 and 09 (both flatland/mountain)... Polaris will be looking for ways to limit their cost exposure on this one

Put it this way....
If you were a plumber and installed new, to code, in a home and did a good job. Then the homeowner installed a high presure shower system with a booster pump on your plumbing to double the pressure...then the pipes burst in the walls... would you cover it.

Try to take a Dodge or GMC diesel truck into the dealer for an engine/drivetrain related problem with computer/turbo/intercooler mods on it and see what luck you have in getting them to fix it.

If you have a good dealer, that is willing to take the risk for you on a warranty claim (which is what an update is) then you would probably be taken care of.

Most of the turbos out there are on CFi 4 injector systems (CFi4).... if they switch out parts and change maps, you could count on minimum of a complete recalibration and tuning session for your sled which be setting up the box, getting it dialed in etc... Remember, a reflash is in the ECU of the sled...all of the control boxes "piggyback" onto the ECU signal... If the ECU is re-flashed... the signal out that the Controller box has to modify is also changed and the Controller must be changed as well.

All of this is just speculation on our parts.... only time will tell.

I'm confident that Polaris will have these 800's dialed in...weather or not that update is compatible with a turbo or aftermarket setup is debatable.

This is just IMO... I could be way off base.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Updates are warranty things.... CPC saftery recalls are for all sleds...

Case in point.... lets say you have a 900 rmk that is out of warranty or has a notation on your Unit Inqiry that you have been modified... and you want to get the fuel float filter udate for example.... you wont get it covered by warranty for free (actually there is a deductable on warranty claims).

The Fuel tanks on the 05/06's... those were saftey problems and all sleds, regardless of warranty or mods etc got a new tank on them.... that was a recall.

Polaris, because they need to save their name on these sleds and stay in business will problably choose to update those 800 CFi sleds that are out of warranty.

IMO...regardless of what mods were done... Polaris should provide a quality product to start from that people can build mods from.
If the turbos are running good with the current setup... why mess with a good thing. New pistons/head/cyls would be nice though!!

Last edited:
P
Jul 8, 2009
Peru, Maine
I have just subscribed to this forum after reading on HCS for a while now. I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality of information on here. Keeping these forums clean without alot of arguing is a nice change. I just wanted to give an "attaboy" out to you guys!

And to agree with what was mentioned before, I put a dynojet fuel controller on my D8 121" and it is one strong running sled. Richening up the midrange helped the lean spot as well as covered up the transition point of the injectors. I am nervous because I have 1600 miles on the sled and I am happy with the performance, I am worried that I may lose this. I am confident that whatever the fix is, Polaris definately doesn't want to get it wrong twice! Thanks again guys for the info!

greenspeed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Anchorage, AK
It's kind of a huge deal to do a massive recall and update every single sled. Even in the automotive world it takes YEARS for most recalls to catch up with people, either dealing with owners changing or the fact most people don't visit a dealer that often. Most people may not get this update until next year just because no kits are out yet, and people have gotten there sleds summerized and wont be back to the shop until next time they need to summerized.

It's going to be interesting to see how things pan out next month when more will be know. I'll be sure to post up a pic of the update kits and also let you all know how they are doing it when I know. I'm about 100% sure I'll be doing a lot of this come late August :unamused:

Premium Features