• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cold areas and starting a diesel.

A
May 5, 2009
Palmer, Alaska
Question for everyone in cold areas. I was thinking about buying a diesel pickup to pull my sled trailer, but I was wondering how it would start after leaving it at the trailhead all day or even overnight at say 20 below, and not being plugged in? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Depends on which truck you are talking about. I have a 96 ford f350 with the 7.3. When everything in the glow plug circut is working well, it was usually good to about -10 without plugging it in. Below that is was iffy. Last winter I finally switched to synthetic oil (5-40 instead of 15-40) and it now starts easily at -20. didn't try it colder than that. The cummins guys and duramax guys are swearing that they start fine at -30-40.... That I can not swear to myself, but many do. The older powerstrokes like mine love to eat the glow plug relays out of them. 1 every 1-2 years. You will know when you lose one. Anything below about +35 they are a pig to start.

D
Dec 27, 2007
Frederick, Co.
^^^ What he said, I had a 01 duramax that would start fine down to -20. I have yet to get that cold with my 06 duramax, I also had good luck with 01-02 cummins work trucks -15 as low as I personally started without plugging in. Batteries make a huge difference with a diesel of any kind, I like interstate myself. Mix #1 and #2 if you know it is gonna be cold, and non-alcohol anti gel kept just in case FPPF meltdown is pretty good.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
I have a 06 Dodge, before buying it I did alot of research into the very question you ask. The models with a intake heater instead of glow plugs seem to perform better cold.

The common problem is typically not as much the truck as the fuel! The days of finding true winter blends are pretty much gone even at the truck stops. ULSD fuels and the regulations placed on these fuels by the feds are not the most condusive to winter use. The good news is, a by product of the higher refinement is a little less wax, which pleaged the older fuels. Oh and for gods sake, do not use bio diesel........

I run Powerservice treatment which acording to them, keeps the fuel safe to -30. I have started my truck at -23 without plugging it in, and yes it started but was NOT happy about it.

Always carry a spare fuel filter, run anti gel throughout the winter so your always prepared, drain your water trap regularly and you should be fine. Good batteries, plug her in anytime you can. I noticed a generator running at one of the trailheads, guy had a older f-350 plugged in............all day.

Life is certainly a bit differant in AK then it is where I am from. Get out, talk to some of the fuel suppliers, truck stops, truckers, Etc. I assure you, in your neck of the woods your not the first one to deal with this concern. There is probably some fuels available to you that us in the lower 48 just dont get to see. I think if you focus on the fuel element, the rest will fall into place.

good luck

Last edited:

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
My 08 6.4L powerstroke started really good last winter down to -10 didn't even know it was cold out any colder then that and it was inside the garage and didn't get it tell late winter so not sure. I kinda figured like someone else said on the batteries probably gonna junk the ford batteries and put in Interstates haven't had good luck with ford batteries. In our case we have a generator with for the enclosed trailer so I figure worst case scenario run the generator and plug the pickup in for awhile. I know these new diesels sure start a lot better then our 7.3L and 6.5L field pickup diesels.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Yep on the batteries. I forgot about those. Agreed on the interstates, and they are good for about 3 years. The older batteries will start O.K. in the summer,but will really struggle on a cold start. We don't have much of a problem with fuel here on the road system. I can remember gelling fuel once since 97, and then it was -50 something....I would expect to have a problem with diesel at those temps without using an additive. Like was said also, A 2000 watt honda generator plugged in to your truck for an hour as you get ready to leave can be a be help when needed too when it does get real cold.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
-20 with my dodge all winter and no issues. no anti gel and one optima yellow top battery.I also have a fass fuel system and i swear that thing could pump jello.lol. with my stock lift pump there is no way i could get away without anti-gel.

S
i've got an '04 duramax that i work out of in the boonies all the time where i can't always plug in (or call for a boost :eek:)...picked up a remote start system that can also maintain a preset temperature - i just set it for @ -15C for a 15 minute run time and it'll cycle every 2 1/2 hours or so (or if needed) till i come back.it was really nice feature to have when the temps dropped below -30C for a couple of weeks in northern nowhere (alberta,canada):Dlol!

R
Jan 26, 2009
Spokane, WA
I have a 06 Dodge, before buying it I did alot of research into the very question you ask. The models with a intake heater instead of glow plugs seem to perform better cold.

The common problem is typically not as much the truck as the fuel! The days of finding true winter blends are pretty much gone even at the truck stops. ULSD fuels and the regulations placed on these fuels by the feds are not the most condusive to winter use. The good news is, a by product of the higher refinement is a little less wax, which pleaged the older fuels. Oh and for gods sake, do not use bio diesel........

I run Powerservice treatment which acording to them, keeps the fuel safe to -30. I have started my truck at -23 without plugging it in, and yes it started but was NOT happy about it.

Always carry a spare fuel filter, run anti gel throughout the winter so your always prepared, drain your water trap regularly and you should be fine. Good batteries, plug her in anytime you can. I noticed a generator running at one of the trailheads, guy had a older f-350 plugged in............all day.

Life is certainly a bit differant in AK then it is where I am from. Get out, talk to some of the fuel suppliers, truck stops, truckers, Etc. I assure you, in your neck of the woods your not the first one to deal with this concern. There is probably some fuels available to you that us in the lower 48 just dont get to see. I think if you focus on the fuel element, the rest will fall into place.

good luck

This guy knows what he is talking about. Glow plugs are sh**less cummins and the intake heater is the only way to go. Also dont forget to use power service in your tanks to prevent geling. My 01 cummins will start at -25 eaisly. Also batteries are huge, go out and buy interstate (my opinion), but get the highest amp batteries possible it pays off. I have duel 900 amp interstates in my dodge.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
02 Duramax started first try at -34° without being plugged in a few years back, but same truck gelled up solid at -40° not even a year prior to that.

08 Cummins didn't like starting after sitting in -30° and lower temps for three weeks without being started (was gone for work and girlfriend forgot to plug it in). Cranked and cranked till I thought it was going to die on me and it would fire. Maybe run for a few seconds, then die. Crank on it again. After a while of doing that it finally started and stayed running. That was the only time this last winter that I had a hard time starting it.

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
My dad and I run 01 and 02 Dodges. We both use synthetic oil and use good fuel conditioner. His started after sitting at the trailhead for 4 days. We were trapped at the cabin cause the temp dropped to -30 and nobody wanted to ride 6 hours to the trucks. His truck started first try after cycling the heater for 3 times. I have the original batteries in my 02 and it regularly starts after being out all night at -20. The generator thing sounds like a good idea, I might try that my honda will run for about 4-5 hours on a full tank:D.

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
Check around with some some of the local truck drivers and other diesel owners for the best place to buy fuel. Last winter I gelled my Pete at 10 degrees F cause they stopped treating the fuel where I buy. The inline motors seem to have less of an issue starting cold than than the V's. We swapped a 91 cummins into a 1960 ford and when we did it we pulled the heater grid out. It starts pretty well with one Optima down to 15 degrees or so lower than that it needs plugged in. its always a good idea to plug them in anyway, it's just easier on the motor. Good luck!

Premium Features