• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dodge Cummins and Automatic Tranny's

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
the 48re is a decent transmission. change the tranny fluid and filter every 30,000 and don't run the programmer over 60hp and youll have no issues.installing a goerend valve body and a haisley valve body assistant makes it a whole new beast though. It will also help keep temps down while giving a more firm shift. The upgrade costs somewhere around 500 dollars but is a huge gain over the stock setup.unless you tow a alot I would'nt touch a six speed for daily driving. Ive got both and would much rather drive my 02 with an auto in town.plus it has two turbos and a full billet goerend 47/48re.:)

D
Nov 26, 2007
I had a 5.9 with the automatic. Never had a issue with it. Pull a 28 ft enclosed.
Had an edge attitude programmer and always put it on #2 when pulling.:beer;

S
Jan 27, 2008
illinois
Got one in my 06 mega. 50,000 miles no problems. Mostly a daily driver, winter time it gets hooked to the trailer and worked. My opinion fluid and filter should be changed more than every 30K regardles of driving conditions. Fluid and filter are cheep, trans is not. It also gets you a look inside, You may catch a problem before it becomes a major problem. They will hold stock power with little problems, 60-100 horse is O.K. on occasion not good for towing.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I bought an 04 and put a smarty all the way up to 9 and the tranny was gone in 3 weeks, truck had 65K on it. It now has a full billet georend tranny and works like a dream. So i'd say if you are going to buy that truck you better think about some up dates. I have an edge set on mileage and my smarty on 8 and with an afe air intake and i get 24-26 miles to the gallon at 65 mph. How can you beat that? I have had alot of fords, all done to the hill and none got even 18 mpg on a down hill.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
I'm using an electronic controller on my '06-can't remember if its TS perf or TST...easy install-has 3 stages of upping line pressure, more aggressive shift patterns and no more hunting/flaring during up shifts.Been using it about 4 months now and am impressed.Mainly did it as a precauton(and was to lazy to get into the tranny).
So far so good!
We'll see how it holds up to the quadzilla this winter.
curt

Premium Features