• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 cat engine in a snowhawk

D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
pretty quit around here ,i have been looking at what I can do to the 800ho and have a cutler powered 900 that I love...it seems to me to get the 800 over 200hp is not to feasable I am starting to think the way to go would be to eventually get another 900 with a cutler top end and fit it in the hawk as I dont know how ealse to make 200+ horse and still afford to rebuild it when needed..if a guy was running 225 hp in a hawk that would be power to weight of apex race gas turbo I believe ohhh the daydreams I have with this idea,the biggest problem seems like exhaust probably have to get a custom pipe built

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
make it happen!

pretty quit around here ,i have been looking at what I can do to the 800ho and have a cutler powered 900 that I love...it seems to me to get the 800 over 200hp is not to feasable I am starting to think the way to go would be to eventually get another 900 with a cutler top end and fit it in the hawk as I dont know how ealse to make 200+ horse and still afford to rebuild it when needed..if a guy was running 225 hp in a hawk that would be power to weight of apex race gas turbo I believe ohhh the daydreams I have with this idea,the biggest problem seems like exhaust probably have to get a custom pipe built

can't wait to see big hp hawks. hopefully there are enough crazies out there like you to make it happen! good luck!!!!!!!!!!

D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
so I am getting a big bore skidoo engine 1075 should be equal to my cutler ,and jaws is building the pipe for the hawk this should be cool,I have only ridden a hawk for about ten minutes,but I did spend about an hour and a half trying to load it so I should be ok for experience.....I might have trouble waiting for snow though

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
A Hawk with 150-160 horse is already a pretty Waaaaaald machine let me tell ya !

I can beleive getting to the 200 mark would just be a rocket ship if everything is tuned right on the spot.

What track length do you have again, 136 right ? Did you picked up the 600 at Howie's Marine ?

D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
right now I have a 136 track I probably wont run it though,I am probably going with a 159,but I would really like to cut down a 174 w/3" paddles if I could figure out 3" pitch drivers,but I will see how it goes.this is a new 07 800 hawk .this forum has been inspireing for parts people make and info so I will be sure to update as I go

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Hey Diirtbag,

I'd like to see a 174 on a Hawk !!! With a good 180 horse motor in there, this would be the most untouchable thing in the extra-super-deep. I don't know about agility though... ! 159 guys I rode with told me that the 159 Hawks have so much of a straight forward push compared to the other ones. I can't imagine it being any different with the 174 (which would be about 7 inches longer than the 159 !!!) It would then become a bit harder to get some ski lift and steer without effort...

BUT... the main problem with the 3" pitch tracks is the following : clearance in the elbow section of the tunnel. It was already pretty tight (about 5/8 of an inch) with the chalenger 2-1/4"... So about 1/8" if you go 3" paddle - 7 tooth driver... ! Not the way to go... unless you modify the thang...

I already thought about adding some clearance there by getting rid of the plastic elbow section, relocating the cross brace right next to the silencer and maybe cutting a flat side (about 1/4") off of the silencer body. All of that to put an aluminum sheet further from the track. I figure we could gain half of an inch easily by doing this.

I'm going Challenger Extreme 150, 2.5" paddle, 3" pitch next winter (still have to cut to 13" it actually). The Anti ratchet 3" drivers for that is not a problem (same as sleds and they'll fit our driveshafts) but you either have to split the frame right to the motor mount to get the driveshaft assy inside of there or to cut the frame on the brake side and add a brace... I rather split the frame even if it sounds scary...

162 by 2.5" paddle would be less of a pain to get in there than the 174 by 3. It sure can be done though !!!

Keep us posted !

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
why not a turbo? efi cat 900 and hang on to your snowcocks.:face-icon-small-ton
an less space to take up.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Thanks for the input.

But as most of us Hawkers have found, if something was made once, it can be reproduced or even better improved upon.

D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
lmao good luck on getting parts!

But as most of us Hawkers have found, if something was made once, it can be reproduced or even better improved upon.

I think he is refering to the fact psi is difficult to deal with.....this is going to happen ,there is a thread on snowwest here somewhere about this engine,its a modded 800ho so its a direct replacement,am excited I have been trying to get other projects out of the way so I can concentrate on this soon I hope ,first stage is get the engine in ,I am going to have to do a bit of cutting on the body to fit the pipe,then probably add chain drive right away,then pick away at it ,longtrack ,ect.I am going to have it set up for pump gas at 5000ft,probably 40mm carbs and no advance on timeing to start, shooting for a solid 180hp,it might be really fun to ride with the 136 ,so I will see,I talked to tracks canada and think I am going with a 162 in 2.52 pitch with 2.3" lugs or somthing like that,will have to cut it down,I will update when I make progress....oh and for cooling I like whitesurfs skid cooler probably going to get that

Premium Features