• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cummins 12v vs. 24v

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
well i am looking into getting a dodge and am still trying to decide if i want a 12v. or a 24v. so i figured i would see what the guys who have owned them think. what are the pros and cons of each. i know the 12valves are simple and are one of the most reliable motors you can find but you cant change power settings with the push of a button. the 24v you can but i have heard some things about their lift pump issues. lets hear it about their trannys, mileage...purdy much everything. please educate me! lol dont want to start a pissing match either so if you dont own one or have owned one dont waste my time or yours with a bunch of BS

thanks in advance!!!!

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I had an 01 24v (2nd gen) and now have an 03 Commonrail (3rd Gen)

IMO, go for a 98 12v or 3rd gen.

98.5-02 trucks have some issues. VP44 injector pumps and lift pumps.

Commonrails make power a lot easier and if you can afford it, go for it.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
buy either a 98 12 v QC are a 03 04 305 hp 555 torque setup they get great fuel mileage.

N
Feb 16, 2009
tremonton, UTAH
Had a 95 12v regular cab 5 speed pushin about 450 horse. Ran good but depending on what your plannin on doin to the truck would depend on what i would say to buy. I went through 1 5th gear cover and three transfer cases, but truck pullin didnt help that any. I now have an 02 24v 6 speed pushin about 500 horse. I have had to replace the lift pump and the throttle possitioning sensor, but it runs dam good now. I have truck pulled more with the 24v and have broke nothin cause of it so far. I feel if you are gonna do a few things to the 12v but not get to crazy buy a 98 12v, but if you want to be pushin over 400 horse the 24v is the way to go. The one thing i hated about my 12v was that you had to drive it like a race truck all the time cause thats what it was built for, the 24v you turn chips or programers down or off and it is alot more driver friendly. If you go with the 24v put a fass pump on it right away and you shouldnt ever have to deal with the lift pump. The 24v are deffinatly alot nicer inside the truck to. But like i said it all depends on what your plannin on doin to this truck.

Cummins

Engine

I like the 24v more than the 12v due to the electronic "mother" running it. If you want all out HP then the 12v can make more. A 24v is capable of 1000+ also. On the 12v you can put a plate here and adjust a spring there and get way more power for cheaper out of it, but you don't have the info and tuning at your finger tips. Its a trade off. I like the 24v but I replaced/upgraded every thing I found to be a weak "link". The 24v is better for your average Joe who wants lots of power for the those stop light races and able to "de-tune" it for getting decent mileage on his way to work.

Transmission

If you have any power or you tow anything heavy, you have to upgrade for your automatic, they are medicore at best. I have an ATS tranny in mine, it was spendy but so were the 4 previous rebuilds.

You can easily put plates in your manual and have it almost bullet proof.

Thats my .02

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i'm not a big dodge fan nor have i owned any but i have alot of friends that have them. however i'd say if i were to buy one i'd look for a 98 12v with the 6-speed manual to me it seems to be the best combo. i never cared much for the 98.5-02 24v, they are easier to play with power settings and stuff but thats just more electrical stuff to deal with. my buddies that have had them have had some issues mostly with the pumps like mentioned, but one buddy has an 01 thats just a pile he's always fixing it but he tends to be pretty rough on it so i'm sure that doesnt help. as for the 12v that have been through the group i dont recall any of my buddies having major issues with them. and like mentioned before you can get big power out of them pretty easily and the 12v usually seemed to do better on fuel mileage, atleast the ones in our possy did. plus i gotta say the 12v sound better than the 24v, more like a big rig. i have one buddy who has an 06 with the 600 series or whatever he calls it, and powertrain wise it seems pretty sturdy and makes decent power with the bully dog on it but i believe its been in the shop more than a few times for other crap like dash and gauge issues and such.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
"i'd look for a 98 12v with the 6-speed manual to me it seems to be the best combo"

would have been sweet if they made it. 12valves were only mated to a nv4500 5 speed from the factory

Monty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wet Coast
Here's my 98 12v qc 5spd about 425 horse very good street manners and very reliable.

DSCN0417.jpg

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
"i'd look for a 98 12v with the 6-speed manual to me it seems to be the best combo"

would have been sweet if they made it. 12valves were only mated to a nv4500 5 speed from the factory

that could be true, and if so my bad. i've just heard people talk about them existing and figured that'd be the best combo.

H
Nov 29, 2007
Littleton,Colorado
Ford

Solve ALL your concerns and go with an anti-bailout company like FORDDD,dodge will be bought out by some foreign company soon like fiat ha ha,funny thing about dodge is you can't even get a full size crew cab with a long bed you have to buy a short bed to get the EXTRA room on your crew cab,thanks to only one chassis size,just jokin guys don't want to ruffle any feathers,just bored.But us taxpayers are payin for the mediocracy of this company,good thing for brand loyal people like yourselves.

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
I've got a 97 5spd, I love the truck! It does take some coin to get good power. DDP 125hp injectors, #10 fuel plate, Intake/Ex, ARP head studs, ported head, Gov spring kit, Custom "hex" turbo from DDP, Thats just the motor! On my 2nd nv4500 with south bend 13" Clutch! Dont get me wrong 425hp/1085tr at the wheels is fun but it is not free! I can pull my 2009 28' weekend warrior trailer with no problems ever. The big problems guys have with 12v is all they do is and a bunch of fuel and heat and make black smoke! If you are not pulling a heavy load you can buy them cheap and make good power! Just beware... once you get the bug it's hard to stop!

C
Nov 26, 2007
kalispell, MT
98 12v here with an auto/billet Suncoast torque conveter qcab with 326k miles!!!! Original engine/RODE HARD!!!:D I like it alot. BUT, the 03s are super nice and "i think" are easier on front ends. 24v's will leave you dead on the road with injection pump problems; just keep $1800 in the ashtray for a new one and you will be FINE!!!!

B

bmhughes

Feb 25, 2009
Nampa Idaho
I have owned a 97 12v and it wasn't that great for power mileage was good.. It had a 5-speed and had no problems... Bought a 01 24v brand new... 5-speed and had no problems with it.. put a superchip programmer on it and it had all the power I needed.. Great mileage 18-20... best truck I ever owned.. sold it to a good friend with 170k miles and he is still driving it.. He loves the truck.. only problem is in the front end... track bar and ball joints.. bad design... I have a 2004.5 and I like this truck alot... put a superchip programmer on it and I am getting great mileage now.. 18-19 with an automatic trans.. not crazy about the auto but haven't had any problems yet.. probably should have found a 6-speed.. tried a bully dog chip and my mileage went to ****.. lots of power but no mileage.. I have had good luck with the super chips... hope this helps...

I have an '01 2500 Quad Cab 24v. The motor and tranny have been pretty good all around, but I don't have anything crazy done to it either, just Edge and 4" exhaust. My lift pump went out last winter, but it had about 230k on it also, so I couldn't really be too upset. Did cost about $1100, fyi. This is my first Cummins, and I can tell you I'd never buy anything other than a Cummins. I'm with everyone else, if you want to make all kinds of power and have the money to put into it, get a 12v, otherwise I'd get a 24v for something a little more street friendly, imo.

Solve ALL your concerns and go with an anti-bailout company like FORDDD,dodge will be bought out by some foreign company soon like fiat ha ha,funny thing about dodge is you can't even get a full size crew cab with a long bed you have to buy a short bed to get the EXTRA room on your crew cab,thanks to only one chassis size,just jokin guys don't want to ruffle any feathers,just bored.But us taxpayers are payin for the mediocracy of this company,good thing for brand loyal people like yourselves.

The only reason Ford didn't have to get bailed out is because they were performing poorly before GM and Chrysler. In 2006 Ford had to borrow several billion from private lenders and is largely still using that cash to get by. Only difference now is that there's not much private money to be loaned to GM or Chrysler. I'm not happy that the taxpayers are paying for it either, just trying to say that Ford made their share of mistakes as well.

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
If you are looking at a 24v make sure it's not a 53 block. There shouldnt be many of them left as most of them have been replaced or repaired, but there is still some out there. Mostly 99's and some 98's and I have heard of a couple 2000's that had them. I have a 99 and it was a 53 so the engine got replaced at around the 90,000 mark. 230,000 on it now and it does pretty good although I think its about to lose an injection pump:mad: If I had a choice I would have a 12v and when the injection pump in my 24v goes I might p-pump it or put a whole 12v in. Good luck!

Premium Features