• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer Preference for Long Distance Interstate Pulling

S

SnoPro753

May 4, 2008
Central Iowa
I am looking at buying an enclosed trailer to pull 4 long track sleds out West.

We drive about 900 miles one way and we usually drive 85mph most of the way.

The pulling truck will be a Cummins Megacab.

Is there a real difference between deck over trailer and and recessed trailer?

Main concerns are ease of pull and fuel mileage?

S

slednutz

Nov 28, 2007
Pipestone, MN
www.theslednutz.com
we pull our 24ft triton prestige enclosed and it's all aluminum and we drive 85 mph the whole way with a duramax and it pull easy.. you can barely even tell it's there. The fuel mileage is not terrible either since the enclosed is all aluminum.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I personally use a 7X27 and have pulled with some friends that a 8.5X21 both steel framed trailers. The inlines seem to stay straighter and pull easier from our experience and get better mileage pulling them. I also think they are easier to pull on some of the narrower windy roads and stay in your lane. When the winds blowing 40+mph and the roads are icy they are all a pain though. I think i'm gonna add sway bars and see if that helps some.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Yaaaaaaa ...... I am thinking fuel mileage is not even in the top 5 concerns at 85. They're all going to get less than 10 at that speed and towing.

S

SnoPro753

May 4, 2008
Central Iowa
My thoughts exactly... The difference in mpg between 65 and 85 is HUGE!!! Then again, I would love to see anyone try to pull a 4place at 85 on our roads lol.

All right guys. I know your fuel mileage comments are entertaining but my concern is the difference in fuel mileage between a 7' wide trailer and 8.5' wide trailer.

At 85mph a 8.5' wide trailer in our group got 8.5mpg, a 7'wide got 12mpg. (This was hand calculate and accurate. Both same year Duramaxs with only straight pipes)

Terrible all around, but over the course of a few trips a year that total 1800 miles a trip it makes a difference.

Beyond Fuel Mileage, what is your preference for high speed all interstate pulling? We drive 744 miles straight on I-80.

This will be my first trailer purchase and I am asking for opinions on the differences between pulling a 8.5' wide vs 7' wide.

(My apologies for not being more clear at first.)

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If you're going to be clipping along at that kind of speed and don't really need the width, I would go with a 7' for sure and keep the height as low as possible.

I've got this trailer:

IMG_0927.jpg

I pull with an 02 F250. I do 65mph and get anywhere from 9-14mph depending on the wind and terrain. The trailer weighs 4300 empty and I usually haul around 4000lbs inside.

It's not so much the length of the trailer or weight (within reason) that will hurt the mileage but more the frontal area, speed and wind.

A few important things:

Quality trailer tires (15" minimum, 16s would be better)
A quality weight distributing hitch with swaybar

At 85mph, you better keep on top of bearing maintenance. I might even consider an oil bath system.

Last edited:
S

springer

Feb 1, 2008
Washington
The new trailer that are 8.5 wide with the inner fenders are pretty neat! You get the lower center of gravity that provide more stable towing and still retain most of the room inside.I would spend the extra $$$$ for a high quaility trailer such as Triton or Featherlite.They last forever with little maintance!

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If I wanted to pull 3-153" tracks, what is the minimum legnth for a 7'wide trailer?

7 x 27 is a good all around length. I plugged in 3 - 155's and a 144 this winter and still had room for the barby, a spare tire and 4 - 6 gallon gas cans.

The 7 x 31 aluminum is what I'll be getting next. I've pulled "HeavyMark's" and opens and goosenecks and I really like the inlines. they are a tad low in the rear so maneuvering around bumpy terrain tends to bang up the very rear of the trailer.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I have had a 28 ft Featherlight gooseneck for the past 3 seasons, and they are noticeably different for ride and fuel economy. Because they are lower than any vnose tow trailer, they cut much less wind, and the pin weight is directly over your rear axle, so no secondary buck like a traditional tow type. I will never go back. The extra room in the nose is really nice too.:beer;

S

SnoPro753

May 4, 2008
Central Iowa
I have had a 28 ft Featherlight gooseneck for the past 3 seasons, and they are noticeably different for ride and fuel economy. Because they are lower than any vnose tow trailer, they cut much less wind, and the pin weight is directly over your rear axle, so no secondary buck like a traditional tow type. I will never go back. The extra room in the nose is really nice too.:beer;

Do you have any pictures of your trailer? Model #?

I am not to far from where they manufacture Featherlites.

H
Mar 25, 2003
Thief River Falls, MN
I have a 36' Gooseneck triple axle. You would not believe how nice a triple axle pulls versus a twin axle. And the gooseneck cannot be beat. Pulls great, would never go back to a bumper hitch. And we travel from MN to ID 3 times a year.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Do you have any pictures of your trailer? Model #?

I am not to far from where they manufacture Featherlites.
I don't think I have pics. It is a 28 ft deck with 8 ft nose. They also make the same trailer in 24 ft, but I wanted to fit 5 sleds so went 28. I line-X'd the floor and put the furnace up in the nose along with the battery tray's. It has aluminum cabinets down one side and drying rack and shelving down the other. All of our gear (and beer) fit nicely up in the nose.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I just looked mine up its a United UATV 725 the width is just under 7ft inside the trailer, 19'10" box plus a 4'3" V. We've had 3 153s and a 141 in it or 2 153s a 166, and a 136. Its a tight fit but they work with oil rack on the wall and room to stick bags and such between afterwards.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I personally use a 7X27 and have pulled with some friends that a 8.5X21 both steel framed trailers. The inlines seem to stay straighter and pull easier from our experience and get better mileage pulling them. I also think they are easier to pull on some of the narrower windy roads and stay in your lane. When the winds blowing 40+mph and the roads are icy they are all a pain though. I think i'm gonna add sway bars and see if that helps some.

Sway bars will jack knife the trailer on icy roads.

Are you talking about a weight distribution hitch?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Sway bars might jack knife the trailer on icy roads.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Sway bars might jack knife the trailer on icy roads.

Oops yeah thats what I meant. I shouldnt have much trouble now that I have a big enough pickup also but figured might be a good idea if it helps.

Premium Features