• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mammut supporter of Wilderness

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
'Cuso, FYI...down here in the states, wilderness designation means no mechanized access of any type.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
'Cuso, FYI...down here in the states, wilderness designation means no mechanized access of any type.

Unless of course you're a skiier.

Then, the definition of what constitutes a "machine" holds no bearing.

Nevermind the fact that you can't even ****ing mountain bike in a wilderness area, but you CAN ski.

As best as I can tell, skis give you a mechanical advantage in the same fashion a mountain bike does.

**** skiiers, I hope they all die.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
dogmeat
the mechanical advantage thing is kind of weird.
But to wish death to a recreation group is just plain wrong and sad.

tim

Yeah. But they're all mindless liberals as well as skiiers too, so it's warranted :D

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Unless of course you're a skiier.

Then, the definition of what constitutes a "machine" holds no bearing.

Nevermind the fact that you can't even ****ing mountain bike in a wilderness area, but you CAN ski.

As best as I can tell, skis give you a mechanical advantage in the same fashion a mountain bike does.

**** skiiers, I hope they all die.

#1: the mechanical advantage is the mountain, not the skis.

#2: the majority of the riders I know were/ are still at times skiiers.

Wilderness sucks, but your comment is completely retarded.

S
Aug 28, 2009
hi ( I don't spell check)

I'm new here. I want to speak about mammut. I'm not trying to make enemies, but this thread finally got me to join.

First off, I have tested beacons for years, as well as I'm a professional ski patroller (yes that means doing control work), have been a profesional Big Mountain skier for years ect, an avid snomobiler, back coutry skier and hunter and a kiteboarder. I'm as red neck as they come, however Before people make comments about things they don't know about, mabey they need to educate them selves. I would like to talk about a couple of things:
1. Mammut has always supported me and any means I find to get out and make my self a better skier. It is true that I have taken some heat for riding a two stroke, however through education and taking people out and about off of sleds to ski, they have seen the light. They have been very supportive of me and my "antics" to get into the back country and avalanche awareness. I have done a number of projects for MAMMUT that show our support of basic avalanche safety and that includes snow machines. Mammut has never come out and made a statement that they don't support snomobiles, its not something that Mammut.ch (they are the mothership) would appreciate. They know I'm a sled head and have from the start. I use my sled for ski access and having fun. I love to ride my sled. I think that people would be interested in just how many skiers are using the sleds to access skiable terrain. If you understood the movement with in the ski industry to do that, and learned to work with the skiers, then we as snomobilers would be more of a force to recon with, not just seen as a bunch of dumb hicks. (not that I'm not a hick) Keep in mind that a division of mammut-usa, may have cut a check to a organization, doesn't mean that they support everything about it. I'm sure that they weren't trying to alienate anyone.

2. We (mammut) have tried to sponsor snomobile events and get into shops. Our technical advances in our transivers makes it a expensive option. And no, not all transievers are the same. Unless you test them all and have a back ground in transivers, then opinons are just that.....an opion
3. The best transivers are mammut pulses, Pieps and ortavox. Trackers operate on 10plus year old technology, but thats not what this forum is about.
5. My wife ( who loves to sled) works for the Forest Service and were both very obsessed with access issues. WHere I live, at Snoqualmie Pass (Thats right I'm not a flat lander) we have wilderness. We stay out of it because thats the rules, supporting wilderness is not a bad thing. Besides it makes great hunting! As well as its almost impossible to get to those spots in the winter due to terrain challanges at snoqualmie pass.

In short, lets try not to sucome to the basic BS political antics that are currently plagueing this country. Snomobilers and Skiers have the right things in common, even if they don't agree with the politics of it.

• We don't like to be told what to do
  • We all want the same thing....powder
  • We all like jumping off of things
  • we all like our freedom and thats why we ride and ski
  • were just there to have a good time

I don't think that this issue of access can be solved overnight, but if we as snowmobilers take the higher road on access, then it will be better for us in the end.

If you would like to discuss this more with me, I'm open to discussion and have different views than most as well I have a great deal of knowledge about access issues. Please contact me at stevegriffith22@Gmail.com

I'm not saying that were surrounded by like minded people. Or that the ski industry isn't full of people that would agree with me on these issues.

A
Dec 11, 2007
I agree with what you are saying, BUT it may seem you are part of a small minority.

It seems "most" anti-snowmobilers are part of conservation/special access groups. I believe the issue should be "equal" access, not restricted.

I do own two Pulse beacons and believe they are one of the best products I have used.

However, it is disturbing to see they are a "sponsor" for a group who's mission statement is to restrict access to "motorized" groups. I would like to see most of these group travel in Alaska w/o some form of motorized assistance.

Just my $.02

I just got off the phone with Osprey Packs. They are not ANTI motorized but ONLY support and financially contribute to wilderness and other coalitions who generally oppose motorized users.

Had a 30 min conversation with the head of marketing. I explained to him that as a motorized user I would not purchase anything from his company if the would not contribute to PRO MOTORIZED causes as well.

I explained to him the unfair practice of shutting down trails to motorized users. For every trail closed to motorized, the non-motorized groups should have to sacrifice a trail of OUR choice.

There is not a single place I can recreate that is closed to non-motorized users.

He actually seemed to listen. And apologized for not looking at the issue from that point of view. He admitted several employees were mountain bikers and dirtbikers and that it was a little hypocritical. He was going to definitely bring up this issue at there "Green Team" meeting on Friday.

Defiantly do your part to express this unfair practice to companies you do business with. At least they might look at us as Human.

I assured him I would not order or endorse any of his products until I saw financial support to groups like "The Blue Ribbon Coalition".

Premium Features