• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 F-350 6.0 turbo problems

C
Nov 26, 2007
Denver, CO
We have a 2005 F-350 at work with a 6.0 in it and we've put 3 turbo's on it so far and now it needs another. Truck has less that 60,000 miles on it and we're getting sick of bad turbo's. Just wondering if anybody knows of any fixes for this besides dropping a Cummins in it?

N
Feb 16, 2009
tremonton, UTAH
Well if you werent gonna make the cummins goin in it coment i was, so im glad you did. Anything done to the truck? Do you have an egt gauge that you can watch? If i remember right when the 6.0 came out it had a recall on somethin to do with the turbo, like the turbo bracket. Those dual vain turbos were meant to built to stay cooler and make better low end boost as well as decent top end boost. Whats happenin to the turbo when it blows? Is the impeller shaft breakin, and if so what side is it breakin on. The only thing that should make a turbo blow is overspooling and or heat. Nate

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
yeah ford has had problems with the 6.0 since day one. not sure what the deal is but i believe its the heat. what all is it doing when it goes?? does it just leak oil, bearings go out, breaks shaft??? I agree with installing an egt probe. this way you can watch your heat at the turbo and posably rule that out plus its just good to have. how often are your oil changes???

N
Apr 7, 2008
Litchfield, MN
My guess would be heat failure. My 7.3 gets pretty hot on a long pull. I added an EGT, 4 inch downpipe & chip & it helped some. I heard if you cut out the factory cat converter & put in a highflow muffler it helps much more. Make sure your air intake is pulling sufficent air as well. Add a high flow air filter (K & N) to get more air to her helps alot. Keep us posted.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I also drive a 2005 F350 6.0 and have had over $35000.00 worth of repairs (under warranty) done to it in the 18 months. Two turbos, Head Gasket twice, then two new cylinder heads and head gaskets, EGR Cooler has gone three times, EGR valve, injectors, Fuel injector control module twice, power steering pump, rear end,.....and the list goes on. The warranty just expired so I either have to spend more money on it to keep it running or dump it. The only way to make it work right is to replace the head studs which stops the warping of the heads with ARP studs and either do the EGR delete or this company http://www.ntshoptools.com/Ford_Power_Stroke_EGR.html makes a new one that keeps your truck emission friendly.

I thought about the Cummins conversion as the truck is nice to drive compared to the Dodge but it is waaaay too much coin.

H
Jan 10, 2002
PF, Idaho
its your oil drain tube off the turbo, they are kinked at the bends and oil gets backed up and cokes the oil, burning up turbo. You can replace it. I had a part number on what to replace it with. Just not with me now.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
The EGR issue is the EGR Cooler...it fails as puts coolant into the intake which causes cylinder pressures to spike and the head gaskets fail. The best solution is to get an EGR cooler elimination kit.

Not sure what to tell you about the turbo. I replaced mine (04 6.0) at 130k miles due to bearing slop...no failure, just time to replace.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
"its your oil drain tube off the turbo, they are kinked at the bends and oil gets backed up and cokes the oil, burning up turbo." I think there is an updated tube available. A good website is thedieselgarage.com, lots of good powerstroke info. A Cummins swap is really not that unreasonable, depending on what you can do yourself. See destroked.com for Cummins swaps.

B
Jan 20, 2009
Isn't the EGR for resuculating the exhaust gasses for better emissions? Most Tuners and chip delete the EGR I think. Also if you end up having to do your heads use ARP head studs. The stock head studs are garbage and also only have less head steads then the 7.3 making it weaker.

Have a look at these videos I found them interesting and I dont even have a PSD. Just a gasser F150.

http://www.youtube.com/user/powerstrokehelp?blend=2&ob=1

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Isn't the EGR for resuculating the exhaust gasses for better emissions? Most Tuners and chip delete the EGR I think. Also if you end up having to do your heads use ARP head studs. The stock head studs are garbage and also only have less head steads then the 7.3 making it weaker.

Have a look at these videos I found them interesting and I dont even have a PSD. Just a gasser F150.

http://www.youtube.com/user/powerstrokehelp?blend=2&ob=1

I was just going to post those videos. Bill Hewitt @ powerstrokehelp.com is very smart with his powerstrokes. I have talked to him a couple times over the phone about my 05. watch the second video and he will tell you about the turbo problem on the 6.0

Premium Features