• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running board ends M to KK

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Has anybody put the 09 M running board ends on a kk Mc? I see you can get a kit from bdx for 125.00 or i can buy the 09 M board ends for 15.00 total. just checking to see if it has been done

20020FS640.jpg

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I have the ends bought and have taken a look at what it will take to get them on. It looks like I will need to take a little material off the 09 pieces so they will fit inside the KK running boards. I also think I will weld the seam where they go inside the running board in addition to the rivets. I can't tell how well the tops will lay on the tunnel yet but looks like it should be close enough.

My sled isn't real pretty to start with so I am not looking for perfection:D:D

P.S. already running the BDX pieces. They don't fit that great.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
thanks for the input just ordered the ends now i need a doo rear bumper.

This is the one I put on the ol 1M. The sled had a heavy duty VE cap on the end of the tunnel and a VE U cooler when I bought it. Sold it to my roommate a few years back.

DIGI0175.jpg

DIGI0179.jpg

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Hey my friend,
Ill build you up a set like I did mine, and make it so they bolt on instead of weld to your boards. And I can bend you up a bumper, with or without the LED light. Let me know

PB090012.jpg

0818082301.jpg

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
I love the rear bumper!!
as for the side rail ends i order the 09 m's and for each side to my door only 16 bucks!

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Could the stock running board edges be welded flush with the end cut? This is what I am trying to accomplish with a custom end plate like the VE set-up. Would it be wise to put in a filler piece when welding to beef up the corner? Isn't the aluminum annealed when welded? The BDX endcaps should work with a few mods! Untouchable nice looking tapered tunnel!

Mike

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
This time around I would do it a little different after my results of last season, first off I would weld in a vertical flange from the bottom of the stirrup to the top, and secondly I would make the top plate where it bolts to the tunnel a piece of angle so it bolts onto both faces of the tunnel. I later put a 4"X1/8" strap on the unterside of the bumper and rivetted that to my boards.

6061-T6 alum (which most of the sled is) welds up really well, but the annealing process can be a problem ONLY if you quench it. Since it is a FCC (face centered cubic) the crystalline structure causes the coefficient of thermo expansion to be much greater; thus it is more temperemental to temperature changes. But if you weld it with Pure of 2% Ceriated tungsten using 4043 filler I have found all my welds to hold really well.

The bumper was a sinch to bend, and the LED light in the tube took me all of an hour (mostly to fish the wires). I appreciate your compliments

Doug

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Untouchable, thank you for the filler rod recipe! I hope this design I came up with holds up? I angled the side plate at the angled foot stirrup to tie in at the riveted on suspension plate. Then cut and weld on the running board edge. What a B**** to measure all those compound angles, But the bender did it perfectly!

Thanks
Mike

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
You better post some pics when you get it done! Thats what I really like about this site; the fact that there are so many guys helping eachother. I got a ton of helpful ideas and designs from guys on here last summer that I incorporated into my design. Good luck

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Are those the stock coolers? My 800 has the main cooler mounted on the rear of the tunnel making a simple bumper install a pain.

untouchable your tunnel looks good, clean and simple.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I know there are many ideas that I have incorporated from this sight, Just hope a few of us hold on to these 1M series sleds! I don't want to be the only one left with one! Has anyone changed out the front steel spindle bushing and side spacers with 7075 aluminum? Much lighter and just as strong. Even replaced the side spacer with a 3/4" ID spring. Spring is from a triple valve spring setup. Works nicely!

Thanks
Mike

Premium Features