• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rust issues on old Trucks

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Hey guys. I was just wondering if you have much problem with rust on older cars and trucks in the Anchorage area? I have an old '87 Chevy. It has the common cab corner cancer from rust. Anyways, I am planning to move to Anchorage in August and people are telling me to leave my truck here in MT and buy something I don't care about rusting out. But I like classic cars and trucks. Could anyone advise me if older vehicles in that area are prone to being all rusted out? Specifically 73-87 Chev's. Are they right, should I leave it home? Maybe I should find a cheap 12v cummins or something. I know its on the coast, but does that make 'em rust quicker????

Any input would be appreciated.

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
man, its just those older chevy trucks.

you can count on the bottom cab corners, corners of the fenders, and even the floorboards.

i would say its more common in the south, the air is soo dry up here that its not as big a problem.

and most of the moisture up here comes in the form of snow and then melts away.

Probably get some other opinions though, but thats mine.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
rust isnt that bad..if you look in my album you will see my old 82 shop truck...before and after...that restoration was done ground up in my shop by me with all genuine gm parts...if you really like the truck..bring it..its all ready rusted now so more wont kill it..they arnt that bad to fix....

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
^^does that mean they use sand and gravel? Windshields are a dime a dozen^^
its the stickers are what cost so much :D

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
they put salt in with the sand, So your Truck will rust, keep in mind diesel is almost 90 cents per gallon more than gas.

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Ya, windshield are a common MT item as well. I think the average life span is 9 months here. Lol

$.90 wouldn't matter much with the mileage increase. I'm thinking I'll probably just bring it unless I find a smokin deal on a smokin diesel.

Premium Features