• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is the mountain max a good sled?

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
Would like to know if the '99-'01 mountain max is a good handling, reliable machine. Always was a little curious about 'em and may consider buying one if I like what I hear. How would they compare to a genII rmk 700? Fill me in. Thanks

S

summit-x

Mar 3, 2008
Central,ND
Would like to know if the '99-'01 mountain max is a good handling, reliable machine. Always was a little curious about 'em and may consider buying one if I like what I hear. How would they compare to a genII rmk 700? Fill me in. Thanks

o hellz yeah, if u get one buy a 99 mountain max 700 triple and put pipes on it. sounds amazing and runs greatm:)

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Probably the most reliable 2 stroke ever made if you want my opinion. And with tripple pipes run really well. Dad has an 02 that he takes with us some times. Ill hop on it through out the day and it still goes pretty well.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
x2

They are a well built sled for sure. I would get a 2000 or newer though because they changed the suspension that year. I have a 2000 with over 8000 miles on it and i've only had to change the rings once (just preventative) other than that no problems at all.

Oh the old man has a 97 with like 14,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ too!

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
yes definitly the best 2stroke motor built,there is guys with 20000miles on them crazy.tripple pipes ,some reeds & spacers & you will hang with most any 700 or 800.:beer;:beer;

My first sled was a '99 mountain max. It's an awesome sled, very reliable and fast, we call it our Cadillac sled on the trails. Sounds great too. We've since upgraded to newer machines but keep it around as a back up or as something to let friends ride when they come up. I think it's got around 5,000 miles on it and still runs strong. I'd definitely recommend it.

(The only thing I didn't like about it is that it seems a little front heavy for riding in powder. Other than that, it's great.)

K

kingofthemountain

Dec 21, 2008
Golden, Colorado
By far the most reliable two-stroke in my opinion. It can be a little nose heavy at times but mine still does wheelies in the right snow. It will smoke my buddies vector and will go most places a stock apex will go if that helps. Pretty easy to fix or upgrade just about anything on them.

D
Mar 11, 2009
yamaha 700

this motor is great been riding mine forever I would put up against any new machine out there,97 mod mountain max 151 /16

A
Apr 11, 2009
one of yamahas best two stroke very reliable and will take lots of beatings but first thing u gotta is throw some triple pipes on that b!tch

Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
I have one, a 2000. Great all around sled, got about 6000 miles on it now. Had a buddy with another 2000 that sold it 2 summers ago with 24,000 miles on it! He changed the rings and pistons at 8,000 (I think, may have been a little more or less) miles just because he thought he had to, said he didn't really need to. Pipes, different skid, simmons gen 1's or slp powder pros and these things rock for old iron!

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Great sled/gas mileage/reliable/responses great to triple pipes. I like the power band on the Triple pipes triples.

I personally think the front and rear shocks are lacking. I still run them, can live with it. But always wanted to put Mountain Viper shocks all the way around on it.

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
I still have my 99MM700. I put on SLP triples and stretched it out to 159" x 2" with Works shocks all the way around. The clutching is all Hartman Inc. with a Polaris P-85 primary. Custom paint, Simmons skis, airbox mod., Boss seat, billet wheels, Cobra windshield, bar riser, lefthand throttle, grab bar, rear rack, bellypan protector, light cover, LED rear light, re-geared, reed spacers, etc., etc.....LOL

It's for sale if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 100_0392.jpg
    100_0392.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 68
K
Is the mountain max a good sled.

I have owned three of them. If they are set-up right with pipes, clutching, ect.. they will hold there own with any 7 or 800. The machine I still own has a 99' motor, a slp 800 kit with case porting, slp big bore pipes, roller secondary, viper kayaba long travel shocks, elkholm tunnel, a 16-151 by 2.5 track, a 09 nytro skid lightened up, simmons skis, chrome-moly front end bar 6 inch bar riser, boss seat, left hand throttle. Its a blast to make my friends new dragon 800's and XP's look sick, and then to still have the Yamaha reliability and have to drag them home. In my opinion the best two stroke engine made. I have never burned one down in 10 years of riding them with pipes on every machine. Something I can't say about the polaris 800 (01) I had. Also the triple is so easy on clutches and belts

Premium Features