• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

no snow- trails closed

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
Yup you said it, I was up there today near Rec Springs and the snow was great even though I spent 3 hrs diggin after dropping down into somewhere I should have never tried!!! Lets just say it was deep!!!

Have fun guys

F

fradiecat

Feb 14, 2008
Ol' Bigrig knows all about stuck!!
Good thing there was a Cat around. To take pics anyways.

picture.php

Is this considered stuck?
picture.php

Last edited:
F

fradiecat

Feb 14, 2008
Randy "Bigrig" has a love affair with birch trees.
I'll wait for him to explain.

bigrig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
LAKE PARK, IA
damn birch

photo's don't do that justice. what a mess, had to winch out! damn birch seem to spring up when you have to drop down. was just saying how deep snow was on another post, not hardly a flake in that shot though. much better up north.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I'm not so sure how it'll all hold up, supposed to get warm out there. The trails will suck for sure, they were rough saturday. But there should be enough to ride and go places off-trail, just wouldn't expect to see the over the hood powder we had last weekend. I was thinking of calling you and inviting you along last weekend, but as of Thursday we still didn't know exactly what we were doing. Maybe next year we can get together for a ride.?

8hundo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2001
Sturgis, SD
Depends on the weather. Was starting to settle quickly Sunday. A couple days of warm weather in the forecast plus rain and who knows what you'll find up there this weekend.

bigrig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
LAKE PARK, IA
Deep black hills powder

looking at the forcast I'd cash in a few vaction days and be there tomorrow! still could be home on sunday. Crap, I may talk myself into that.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
thinking about heading out this weekend I take it it might just be worth the 4 hour drive by the way it looks

This afternoon I rode the area west of Spearfish Canyon. Trails 1, 3, 3A. This was the area of very deep snow last weekend. Today it is pretty much gone. It got warm here the past few days and there is absolutely no powder here any longer. We rode in the trees where last weekend getting stuck was easy. Today it would be very hard to get stuck. The snow has shrunk away to some wet base. There will be riding available this weekend but if it stays warm, like it is supposed to, you will not find anything special. I am not sure it IS worth a 4 hour trip out here. Last weekend "yes". Today "probably not".

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I'm not so sure how it'll all hold up, supposed to get warm out there. The trails will suck for sure, they were rough saturday. But there should be enough to ride and go places off-trail, just wouldn't expect to see the over the hood powder we had last weekend. I was thinking of calling you and inviting you along last weekend, but as of Thursday we still didn't know exactly what we were doing. Maybe next year we can get together for a ride.?[/QUOTE

Let me know next year I would be up for it. Especialy since I got rid of my cattle, now I have more time to ride. Hopefully get some good miles on the new summit I Snowchecked. I dont know think I will make it this weekend some freinds are heading up there they have to go to some meetings in rapid on mon and tuesday so there taken there sleds I was just going to tag along but something has come up and cant go so hopefully they will have a good ride.

H
Dec 31, 2007
Rode the Rec Springs area on the 7th. Snow was crusty in the morning, good around noon, and wet and sticky around 3:00. Most of the area we rode was south and west of Rec Springs, snow was still over 4 ft. deep. We managed to get stuck a few times. Stayed at Rec Springs for $49, which included parking (they are charging $20 to park) they sold us some fuel, and let us have a late checkout so we could shower after we got done riding. Very accomidating. They have my business for years to come. We were going to stay in Lead or Deadwood, but it didn't seem like they really wanted any snowmobile business, and one place even told us it would be $69 a night when their sign said $59.
A big thank you to Rec Springs for helping us have a great last ride of the year.

Premium Features