• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tires: Toyo MT's vs BFG's

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Lookin at buying some tires...the 2 that have caught my eye, and come in a good size are the BFG AT's and the Toyo MT's. Toyo At's work too, but they don't look as aggressive and therefore are out. Whatever I buy will be on the truck 12 months of the year....no switching to winters.

Question is; does anyone have experience with treadlife and traction with both tires? I've had a couple sets of BFGs, great traction in the winter, quiet on the highway, but they're pretty soft and wear out faster than I'd like. That said, the Toyo's are more $$, so unless I'd get some extra life outta them....I'd just be lighting money on fire.

Trying to limit the choice to these 2 tires, but if someone has a MUST have suggestion I am open to that as well. The only hook is they gotta fit 18x8" rims and be about 33x11.50" true width/height.

Last edited:
S
Nov 25, 2008
Spokane, Wa
if you have a diesle the wieght of the pickup cuts bfgs down so fast. I have run both on my diesle and the best is the toyo mts, i like the bfgs but they are to soft and lose tread so fast. Toyos are a little more but last way longer. I am on my third set and have got 30,000+ out of every set.

W
Dec 19, 2007
Sipe em so they run cooler...but only sipe them a little less than half way with a 3/8" separation...Then have them siped again for the last half...this way they wont chunk apart....this has been the best way I have found with all of my sets...I run them on everything from my powerstroke to my suburban...got 52000 on my last set on my ford...35x12.5x18 on an 10" wheel...Good wheelin to ya...Love my TOYO MT

E

evan3000

Dec 8, 2007
Red Deer Ab.
Toyo mt are by far the best mud tire I have ever run. I have gotten 60,000km out of a set on my loaded down service truck, rotating them every 15,000km helps the tred life immensely.

S
Toyo M/T is a great tire. i got 55K miles out of a pair (35X12.5X20) on my current truck (07 F150 supercrew). the first half of those miles went by quietly and with a pretty decent ride. the last half of those miles was noisy and hard to steer. of course, i did run them probably 10K miles too long.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Bfg's or toyo m-55's

I had BFG All-Terrain TAs on a 77 F250 ford size 265/75r16 (same as 33-12.50-16) about 13 years ago. They were a great tire, great in snow and wore fairly well. I swapped them onto my 93 F350 that I have now. I switched to the Toyo m-55's about 10 years ago when I was in college when I needed to replace the BFG's because the M-55s were cheaper. The M-55s were a fantastic wearing tire, they were stock 235/75/R16 pizza cutters, I just replaced them about a year and half ago with some Les Schwab Wildcat ATs. My truck was a daily driver with the M-55s, I would have gotten them again if they weren't so expensive. With the cost of fuel as it is, I now drive my wife's former car to work to save money and only drive the truck a couple times a week unless the roads are really slick.

If I could do it again, I would go with either the BFG's or M-55's if I had the money. A lot of the logging contractors that come in where I work run the M-55s because they are such a great wearing tire with good traction.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Anyone running the toyo's through the winter? I know they won't be as good as a winter, but good enough? Would likely get them siped....I've always ran the BFG's through the winter and thought they worked just fine

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Another vote for Toyo, but I don't run mine in the winter. 3 other friends have theirs on year round and all of us get in the 50K range out of a set of tires and all of us drive diesel.

i run my 37x13.50 toyo mt's all winter and they work better than expected. they wear pretty good too, alot of people told me they wear out to quick but they have never owned a set;) expensive yes but worth it imo

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Aother vote for Toyo's.

I got about 45-50K miles out of mine on my 04.5 Cummins running 35x12.50 on a 20" wheel and I have 10K on my 35x12.50's on a 18" wheel on my 07 Dodge now. Great tires that you won't be disappointed with IMO, I just got my father talked into a set.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
anyone ever ran these? saw them on a truck the other day and thought they looked alot like the toyo's. tread looks the same but i think these coopers have a better lookin side wall.

i've never ran them but i thought maybe they could be a slightly cheaper version of the toyos for the poor folks like me.

edit: guess the link won't go right to the tires, look up the Discoverer STT
http://www.coopertires.com/Flash/index.aspx

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Another vote for Toyo's. Loved the 37x13.5x17's on my SD. Great tire year round. I like the STT's but heard that Cooper has lost some of it's QC and the tires are wearing pretty quick. Just what I heard though. I'm going to try BFG KM2's this time around since they're about $100 ea. cheaper than the Toyos and are suppose to be a very good tire. Toyo is nice because they have high load capacities.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Schwab's around here can't seem to keep trucks from pulling to one side with Toyo MT's. I've got 3 buddies that had run them and they all had the same problems. Two with GM's and one with a Dodge. They tried everything, alignments, balance, and air pressure. For what they cost they should be a better tire. I've got BFG AT's and I'm happy with their wear but winter snow traction sucks. I have no issues with my Duramax going through tires. It's kind of a light diesel though.

Premium Features