• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow Performance Methanol Injection give me your two cents

H
Feb 10, 2008
Butte, MT
I'm looking at cooling down my 05 cummins. I haven't found any one running methanol in their trucks around here. I have an intake, 4 inch straight pipe, juice w/attitude (Hot) and pull about 10 -15 ton reguraly. other than going to BD-power for a bigger turbo which i know isnt far from the $1000 i would spend on the stage 3 kit will snow performances kit help me very much??? or is there a better way to give her a chill pill?

Who has had any experience with this kit or any others like it< pros and cons please.

S
Nov 25, 2008
Spokane, Wa
i have been looking at the same thing. Alcohol injection system.com has a great system that installes in 60-90 min. I am looking at buying one. From what they say you notice a differance in just a couple hours and it is fully digital for tuning. Plus there holding tank is 1.5 gallons instead of just 1 or 2 quarts. They have great info on the web site about there product.

H
Feb 10, 2008
Butte, MT
snow performance has an upgrade tank that holds 7 gallons also a digital readout they also give you a fitting to tap your windshield washer fluid tank to act as a resourvoir but how safe is bug B gon in my engine......?

D
Nov 27, 2007
I run a stage 2 with straight water. Knocked egts from 1750 down to 1400 on kill. I love it. I mounted a 4gal Summit Racing cell in the bed. I run 2 625 jets bringing it on around 12psi boost. I don't know about running methanol. It will spike cylinder pressure. Maybe a little but don't get carried away. Good way to blow a head gasket. I don't touch it.

2008072307.html

2008072305.html

M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
Well for one you could ditch the Edge. Its notorious for running way too hot. Get a Smarty or Bully Dog and that will help keep it cool..

I'd wait to get the water/meth as a last resort.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
have you pulled the cat yet? My 04.5 h.o 6spd ran 1400* stock, pulled the cat and lost about 100* just crusing. loaded the smarty on 90hp and lost another 100*.the 04.5-07 turbo is only a 62/10 from the factory so the exhaust will always be warm. If I were in your shoes I would skip the water/meth and buy a turbo with a 14cm turbine housing.btw I tried to tow 28,000 with the smarty on 30hp and 60hp(tried w/ and w/o timing and i would not try that again.lol way to smokey.

H
Feb 10, 2008
Butte, MT
Its not always my foot causing the heat, alot of the times its the mountain passes around here. I back out and loose gears heat goes down but then i end up in low gear keeping the rpms up and heat returns. I dont believe its the chip because i will run it towing only on stage one. I dont have a cat or muffler its a 4" turbo back = no restriction but would 5" show a noticable decline in EGTS?

Is going with a bigger turbo going to give me more HP and lower egts and possible notice in fuel milage while cruising, thats what the water/ meth systems all claim. I would like to maintain alittle faster mph while pulling hills without causeing a headache. It would make me more money by getting more loads per day.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
4 inch exhaust is plenty. the problem on the truck is a 10cm housing designed to hold the heat in and make the truck run cleaner and help it not build up the cat with soot and ash.A bigger turbo won't net you much if any hp unless your adding fuel.fuel mileage won't change at all. youll see a drastic change on the top end though as far as egts are concerned. On steep passes you will still be downshifting but your heat should go away and stay away.10-15 ton going up any pass, no matter how many mods you have will still drag the truck down. no replacement for displacement.btw a 64/14 would be a nice replacement,or a htt 64/13 stainless.

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
I upgrade my Hx-35 to a custom HEX turbo and I dropped about 150deg pulling hard. The only complaint is that the larger turbo takes a little more time to spool up. But when it hit's look out!

M
Dec 2, 2007
Glencoe, MN
If you gonna go with a water/meth injection system, check out labonte motorsports instead of snow. Snow used to get there controllers from labonte, not sure if they still do or not. But labonte has been around longer.

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
The Hex turbo is a Turbo that Lenny from DDP built for my dodge, they custom build a turbo for your exact needs based on manifold presure fuel level ect. It was more exspensive than a Bd, or Edge the nice thing is it has a true 4" outlet.I'm no turbo guru but the compresser wheel is that of a hx-40? My problem on my 12v was just to much fuel and not enough air! But as we a build-up never ends! They just got done installing ARP head studs and ported the head wile it was off! The porting also did help on the cooling side also. I realy looking hard into installing a cam in the old girl!

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
so its a hybrid hx35/40. little too small for a common rail.the stock turbo on the 04.5 and up has a 4 inch outlet but a small 10cm housing.Its too bad they had to change the turbos so much on the common rails. would have been sweet to mount up a 12cm housing off th hx35 to the he351.

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
It does share some of the internals, the outer housing does say holset, I"ll pull my build sheet and get more detailed into for you, housing size, compressor, ect. It does have some real advantages over the "doge-zilla" turbo. That would have been a cheaper option!

Premium Features