• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

060 or 046 belt on M1000???

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
I just bought a 08 M1000 a couple of weeks ago and was in the snowys all last week. Long story short, the 060 belt that comes on it blew after about 50 miles. I bought a 046 belt as a spare, and ended up running it the rest of the week without any issues. I am guessing there is a clutch alignment issue, and the sled is back at the dealer getting that checked out. My question is should I go back to running the 060 again once the alignment is fixed, or stick with the 046? Obviously I am going to try to get Arctic Cat to buy me a new belt, so if the 046 is the way to go I will try to get 2 of them instead of 1 060.

S
Nov 27, 2007
You'll get plenty of opnions on this. Just recently in SW magazine someone said the 060 was better for perfomance cause it slips a little more. I run the 046 on my 07. Since they have a little compound I imagine it'll change clutching a little. My $.02 is if you get belt blowing fixed go with the cheaper and stickier belt. Do a search for M1000 bog, someone recently reported differences they seen changing belts

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
the 60 is the softer more expensive belt that grips better. the 46 is harder and in most cases more durable from what I've read. the 46 is also the one that slips and you will usually gain 2-300 rpm with it. On the 07-08's the 46 seemed to work far better, on the 09 from my experience the 60 works far better and I know 2 other guys that are running the 60 on their 09's as well. I modded my sled and have to run the 46 right now to keep it from bogging and to get full rpm but I can still put the 60 on and with the bog it still pulls harder than the 46 even though I'm not getting into the right rpm range. If you haven't put any venting on its a must do on these sleds. R&M out of Utah makes high quality side vents. I'm working on finding a setup so I can run the 60.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
i have tried an ultimax belt on a 700 , i found it was a little inconsistant. but once hot it would grab good and hard

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I didn't have the 060 on long enough to check what rpms I was running, but with the 046 it was right at 7300, sometimes would go to 7400 or so. Is that where they should be running? I will be putting side panel vents on it for sure, but are there others that should be done on the 1000? Could the belt blowing be a result of too much heat? I noticed it was getting pretty warm on the left side... I may try the ultimax belt to see how it works too. What price are they in the states?

On a side note, the sled had the recent update done....the extra heat shielding and ecu reflash. I had zero bog issues that I could tell. This sled flat out rips. Maybe I just got a good one to begin with since I don't know how it was before the update, but I am very satisfied with how it ran overall.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Your RPM's are right on the money.
Operating RPM is 72-7400.
With stock clutching (6-9) on my stock sled the 060 was a little shy on R's.
The 046 put it right where it needed to be.

1m62

Dec 5, 2007
British Columbia
Recently I picked up a new 09 M10000 LE. Took it out for its 1st ride to break it in. I didn't make 10 miles and the top of the belt seperated. Put the spare on and went back to the dealership. They replaced the belt. Went for another ride. This time 88 miles later it started pulling strings on the inside of the belt.

They took in and check the clutch alignment. Everything was as it should be.
The belt deflection was set so it would be approximately 1/8 above the secondary.

We re-adjusted the deflection with 1 1/4" as per the manuals specifications.
This setting makes the belt ride flush on the secondary. You are able to turn the belt by hand in the clutches. Went out for another break in ride. Since I've used this set-up I have 460 miles on the same 060 belt. RPM's are alot more consistant, clutches are warm. We shall see how long this lasts.

Keep your clutches clean

Read this post Belt deflection 09-M1000
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142026

R
Feb 2, 2008
Grande Prairie
My 060 just fell apart in 50 miles too. The cogs seperated from the outer band and started flaping around inside the clutch at low speeds. Sled now has 1000miles on it with the 046 belt that i replaced it with and no issues. I picked up 200 rps which was great. My belt temps are way up there but i still have not frayed the belt or anything. I am not complaining about the 046. Sometimes i can't even touch my belt after about 5 climbs back to back and still have not blown or even shown major signs of wear.

Let that belt and those clutches cool and you will put a crazy mark in the hill...

A

akholland

Feb 15, 2010
My 08 m10 sno pro didnt have any spacers behind the secondary from the factory. Apparently it was in as far as it would go and still not enough from the factory??? Fishy. . The belt sitting after riding is touching the motor side of the primary clutch. I will check alignment when I get home with the tool. I have been blowing belts every ride. my clutches get super hot. What tears them up the most is full throttle down a road or going on and off the throttle hard in sticky snow pulls them in half. side vents and mesh hood have not been enough apparently. I talked to a guy here in soldotna alaska and I'm going to have him lathe .030 off the back of the secondary to move it in further. I have heard of guys moving the engine out, but moving secondary in seems easier. i have been running ultimax xs belts. was shimmed with like 2.5 inches of deflection, i think that was my main problem. But when I shim it for 1.25 inches of deflection it squeaks and walks on me. idling has to be hell on making hot spots. I will spread/shim the secondary till it stops walking. I might also try the harder 09 mount for the pto side, i hear their like 30 bucks?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Punched on the trail is where I can ruin a belt in seconds. What ruins belts, bad mounts, out of alignment clutching, just bad clutching, never letting them cool after long hard pulls. anything that can bind or twist it, and heat.

Premium Features