• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fatality ?

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Does anyone know what happened in the Black Hills yesterday ? I was told that someone was fatally injured and another person severely injured in separate snowmobile crashes on Sunday.

P

polarisedge

Feb 20, 2008
NE SD
An Iowa woman was killed yesterday morning 9 miles west of spearfish canyon. She was a passenger on a sled and the driver is in bad shape.
Another accident about 4 yesterday afternoon near trailshead, driver is in hospital and alcohol was involved.

F
Dec 21, 2008
The article I read said they hit a tree, it was a mother and her daughter. What a tragedy. MY thoughts and prayers go out to there family.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Not a good way to end the season!!:(

Thoughts and prayers for the families. I have a wife and daughter that ride also and whether they are together or apart I worry my azz off every time we are out. But....... the smiles on the daughters face at the end of the day makes it worth it.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I was the first Officer at the scene. It was by far the most gut wrenching situation I have faced in my 17 years patroling the Black Hills snowmobile trails. I arrived to find 2 victims on the snow with the husband performing CPR on his wife as 4 children watched. I also witnessed when the paramedic pronounced the mother deceased and the reaction of the children as they reallize their mother was gone. She sustained severe head/neck injuries. The mother of the deaceased sustained a broken back, ribs and arm and was transported by helicopter from the scene. They verred off the trail towards a tree and when they turned to avoid the tree they were ejected into the tree. (combination of tree well and small stump.) The two-up arctic cat had only a scratched windshield and a broken backrest. I still cannot account for why they verred off trail towards the tree.

Please keep this family in your prayers.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Very sad, what a terrible way to end the season, my thoughts and prayers are with the family. This is one reason our family rides off-trail in the meadows and fields as much as possible. I tell everyone that rides with us to stay away from the trees along the sides of the meadows because it is easy for someone who is inexperienced to lose control, I hope I never have to witness such a terrible scene. If the off-trail riding is ever taken away from us then we will quit snowmobiling altogether, with the trees, stumps, blind corners and oncoming traffic, trail riding is too dangerous.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I was the first Officer at the scene. It was by far the most gut wrenching situation I have faced in my 17 years patroling the Black Hills snowmobile trails. I arrived to find 2 victims on the snow with the husband performing CPR on his wife as 4 children watched. I also witnessed when the paramedic pronounced the mother deceased and the reaction of the children as they reallize their mother was gone. She sustained severe head/neck injuries. The mother of the deaceased sustained a broken back, ribs and arm and was transported by helicopter from the scene. They verred off the trail towards a tree and when they turned to avoid the tree they were ejected into the tree. (combination of tree well and small stump.) The two-up arctic cat had only a scratched windshield and a broken backrest. I still cannot account for why they verred off trail towards the tree.

Please keep this family in your prayers.

I can not even imagine...... Speechless really...:(:(

Thank you for your service out there. So, was it a mother and grandmother on the sled? So many times I see people turn around to check behind them and that SPLIT second can lead to disaster, I get after my kids for doing that and feel bad for raising my voice, but the chill that goes down my spine when seeing them coming down the trail and looking behind them just bothers me to death.

J

jr_amsoil

Dec 6, 2007
bismarck, nd
trails are probably icy in the corners. (sad deal) overdriving the trails. i have had some really close calls with trees out there. scared the hell out of me. i have slowed down a lot. meeting people on the trails out there in blind corners is nasty also. b e safe everyone. prayers out to there family

Premium Features