• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stacking Chips need Opinions

B
Nov 28, 2007
Laramie, wy
I have an 05 Dmax. I recently programmed my truck with stage 3 hypertech max energy, but i lost the ability to monitor my EGT's, trans temp, etc with my juice with attitude. My question is can i stack these chips and just run my edge w attitude on stage 0 with no complications? Has anyone done this? Anybody have issues?

F
Jun 7, 2008
I have an 2007.5 LMM duramax programmed with EFILive and running my Edge on 0. The tune I am currently running works well, but I have tried a couple of other tunes that did not work with the Edge plugged in. It would idle crazy (loping and rough) and also was pushin white smoke out the exhaust at idle. That tells me the Edge must still change some parameters even on the stock setting. I am strongly conscidering selling my Edge Juice w/ Attitude and getting the Edge Insight. I love the guage setup that Edge offers. But I hate to get rid of the Attitude because it has a turbo timer and also the ability to read and clear DTC's. Anyways, not sure if this helps, but good luck!

Last edited:
G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I put the Hypertech on my buddys 04 Lb7 and thought it sucked. The Juice pulls so much harder its ridiculous. Bullydog also ran a lot harder (enough so that it slipped the stock clutch in 6th).

I could barely even tell the Hypertech was on there.

That being said, another buddy has the PPE on his 06 and its very impressive.

I don't have a Duramax, but if I did, I would definitely go for the PPE.

I'm assuming the Duramax is setup like the Cummins and there are timing, duration and pressure boxes. Just make sure you don't stack the ones that do the samething.

Also, with the PPE, I don't think you will need to stack. Tranny won't take the PPE turned all the way up by itself.

Just my 2 cents.

B
Nov 28, 2007
Laramie, wy
Thanks for you responses
Fly guy, i friend of mine told me that even on the stock setting of the edge juice w attitude it still advances the timing. It sounds like those 2 chips didnt like being together at all.
I am not so much worried about power as being able to monitor my egts, engine temp, trans slippage.
I just liked having the constant power from the programmer, as opposed to the edge where it claims that it does not turn the power up until the engine hits 160 degrees. I think this is better for the TCM as the power does not vary, thusly it does not have to relearn shifts. Does anybody else have anything to say about this theory?

thanks you guys

Last edited:
F
Jun 7, 2008
Thanks for you responses
Fly guy, i friend of mine told me that even on the stock setting of the edge juice w attitude it still advances the timing. It sounds like those 2 chips didnt like being together at all.
I am not so much worried about power as being able to monitor my egts, engine temp, trans slippage.
I just liked having the constant power from the programmer, as opposed to the edge where it claims that it does not turn the power up until the engine hits 160 degrees. I think this is better for the TCM as the power does not vary, thusly it does not have to relearn shifts. Does anybody else have anything to say about this theory?

thanks you guys

Yeah the timing being changed makes sense why mine had problems with EFILive. As far as the tranny having to relearn with the Edge never was a problem for me. I actually never noticed a big diference in shifting when I changed power levels. I personaly like the cold engine protection. Its especialy good if someone else drives your truck (I have to be unconscious to allow that to happen ;) )

D
Dec 19, 2007
Lynden, WA
i know we had the same set up on my buddys gmc duramax and it messed up the timing. So he just went back to hypertec. But He then bought PPE and three pillar guages and put down 475 to the wheels which was more than both together. PPE sounds like the way to go. But he runs pretty hot on a good pull.

S
Mar 3, 2009
if you want the best, buy the pillar gauges, PPE "standard" programmer, and the PPE lift assist fuel pump. After much research and many phone calls this was the most recommended. After buying it boy am I HAPPY! I think the settings are 40, 80, 110, 180, and 220hp. I have 4in exhaust and an air intake. I do ALOT of heavy pulling with my setting on 110 all the time, the egt's have never got even close to"too hot". Set it on 220 for the heck of it and pulling about 30000 lbs gross up a steep hill, the engine temp was climbing but egts were still in safe range. PPE offers 2 more settings for more $$$, 280 and 350hp increase. With the PPE setup you dont need nothin else!

FUZZY7004

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
NORTHWEST IOWA
stacking chips

Just for a little info if your gonna go with high horse power chip or stack them make sure you do some tranny work or all your gonna do is limp it

S
Mar 3, 2009
the only tranny upgrade you need is a billet triple disc torque converter, my buddies tranny shop sells them for $475. Its only needed if your adding 200hp plus. As for the welded dodge AT i'd expect nothin less of a STOCK dodge,put a Goerand rebuild in that and never worry again.

Premium Features