• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

king cat recoil problems

I
Nov 26, 2007
I have an 04 900 king cat and can't seem to keep the recoil in one piece. A few rides ago the plastic tab the spring hooks to broke off so the rope wouldn't go back in....yesterday the entire recoil destroyed itself...the spring is in multiple pieces, half the rope is missing...I can't find a few other parts.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Is there a fix?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I would be for finding those missing pieces before they fly around and take out your stator or fly wheel!!

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Try to find all the pieces as they will get in the flywheel and kill the stator. Might be useful to pull the flywheel and check the magnets for any spring pieces.

I would be for finding those missing pieces before they fly around and take out your stator or fly wheel!!

yes i had one let go and the washer on the outside of the plastic found it's way into the stator!

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
IMO the best fix is to get/make an adapter and put a recoil from an M8/1000 on it. You won't break ropes anymore, and it will pull over much easier.

I
Nov 26, 2007
IMO the best fix is to get/make an adapter and put a recoil from an M8/1000 on it. You won't break ropes anymore, and it will pull over much easier.

Is anyone selling this as a kit? What's needed?

Good call on pulling the flywheel guys...it was covered with spring pieces

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Terra Alps sells it as a kit:
http://www.terraalpsracing.com/go_fast_parts

articcat_adapter_plate_01.jpg

It's pretty easy to make really, a plate of ¼" aluminum, cut it to match the outside diameter of the M1000 recoil, and the inside diameter of the case. Drill holes to match the ones in the case, and then new ones to match the new recoil. Tap the ones for the new recoil and you're set. You do have to shim the starter cup out ¼" also.

We made ours out of ½" plate, but milled down so that we only had to space things out by ¼". That way we had more threads to bolt the new recoil on.

I don't have any good pictures of the ones we've made.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
If anyone else is having problems getting a hold of Terra Alps, my dad and I have made a few extra of these adapter kits. We'd be willing to sell some of them.

Premium Features