• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Swain Tech Coatings???

F
Dec 20, 2007
swain tech

used it on my 800 pistons. insurance policy and its not that expensive. this is the first time i used it, and i will use it again.

nate

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Would also like to know some more about this stuff. Rode with a buddy that had the pistons and cylinders done on a 07 M8 with a fresh top end. Thing seemed to run pretty good was pulling 72 gram weights at 10,000 feet. With only a can, intake and lower gearing. While I can hardly pull 60 gram on same sled with y-pipe, can and lower gearing

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
SWAIN COATINGS

do the pistons have to be new?

No they don't have to be new, clean used parts can be coated.

Check with Drag770n on www.hardcoresledder.com in the IQ section of POLARIS

He's got 11,000 + miles on his 2007 DRAGON 700 with the Swain coating on pistons and head domes and swears by it, (never burned it down or rebuilt it) used to have a fusion 900.

I've never had a need to run it personally, but I've never heard anything bad about it either.

One would thing that by retaining more of the heat in the combustion chamber should help power/longevity somewhat????

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Franz

Premium Member
Nov 11, 2008
Logan, UT
Going to try this on the 1140 I'm building. I just received 95mm pistons from crankshop and they have a dark grey coating on the skirt and also a silver coating on the top. Not sure if this is the same thing, but I'm going to send them to Swain Tech w/the domes. Seems like a little extra insurance.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i am also interested in this coating..

my SLP pipe really needs the ceramic coating redone..its beastly, lol..

post back if anyone does it..please~

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
SKI...did you get your items back from Swains??? hows the finsihed product???

i am still going to send my 975 BB pistons to swains this fall when i get them....i am VERY interested to see how they "help"...i heard the coatings help huge on the weisco pistons due to the exspanding/retracting the weiscos do...

keep us posted on this...

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
SKI...did you get your items back from Swains??? hows the finsihed product???

i am still going to send my 975 BB pistons to swains this fall when i get them....i am VERY interested to see how they "help"...i heard the coatings help huge on the weisco pistons due to the exspanding/retracting the weiscos do...

keep us posted on this...

My cutler motor uses wiseco pistons, and I'm on the fence as to whether to try the coating or not. Cutler motors have tighter piston to cylinder wall clearance than most aftermarket motors using wiseco pistons (from what I've been told), and because of that, the break-in is a long, drawn out, with very specific instructions. Basically you have to ride it very gingerly for 4 full tanks of fuel before riding any very long hard pulls. Dale says that it is so the pistons will go thru a few good heat cycles so the expansion and contraction of the pistons will kind of "settle" somewhat. If the Swain Tech coatings reduce how much heat is absorbed into the piston, will the the need for the break-in proceedure be eliminated or lengthened out because the pistons won't go thru the heat cycles like uncoated pistons would? That is the question that has me on the fence. I'm sure long term the pistons will last longer with the coating, but if I have to go thru say 6 full tanks of gas before the pistons are "broke-in" it might not be worth it to me. Just my comment if anyone cares.

M
Aug 11, 2008
Swain-don't leave home without it. I have run TBC/PC-9 on my pistons and TBC on my heads since 1999, stock bore and big-bores. One of those motors is still running for a friend, a twin-pipe Cat 600 with over 10,000 miles, its now his young daughters tool-around sled. The chassis will give up before the motor. I have never had pipe(s) coated, I always felt the internal coatings put heat in the pipe to make horsepower as they were designed. If I ever did coat a pipe it would be true ceramic from Swain and not the pretty, shiny spray and heat stuff.

Premium Features