• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tahoe/Donner/Hope info please

B

Boondoctor

Jan 24, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
www.sapphireskies.net
OK that's it we are coming! After seeing 80 inches in NINE DAYS we can't resist. Coming down from Seattle area to ride Wed through Saturday. Rode with Silvertip a few years back and had a blast (thanks Silvertip!). Could use a little help getting pointed in the right direction, if anyone would be so kind. Four of us on longtrack newer Dragons or XP's with a few extra goodies, looking for the steepest or the deepest. Sounds like finding deep will be easy; would like some challenging terrain too. Silvertip took us into some place he called the waterfall, that was pretty cool, some chutes to climb and plenty of boondockin. Thinking of riding Donner two days and trying somewhere else for two days.. any suggestions? Is Hope Valley a good spot? If anyone is so inclined it would be cool to hook up and maybe you could get us pointed in the right direction.. Any suggestions on where to stay? We were going to stay in Truckee two days and SLT two days, but open for any suggestions, thanks a ton

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
The entire state is getting pounded with many feet of snow.

Many trails have 3 feet of powder at 8000 feet.

I would start emailing clubs.

http://www.cnsa.net/cnsa_clubs.htm

Have you ridden Bridgeport to Bodie and Bridgeport up over Ricky Peak to Sonora Pass?

When are you coming down?

Last edited:
B

Boondoctor

Jan 24, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
www.sapphireskies.net
Thanks, Don, yeah it looks like you guys are getting enough snow for three states. I have not ridden Bridgeport to Bodie or Ricky Peak to Sonora Pass..what sno parks do you use for those areas? Someone else told me about a sno park about 7 miles north of Truckee to check out too. Thanks for any help-

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Just go to Little Truckee Summit on Hwy 89 North of Truckee and play in the meadows. I don't think that you will really be able to get too much up into the hills. If you can head up toward Mt. Lola.

Last edited:

xsssive

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2008
Reno, NV
If you have a GPS, I can email you GPS tracks for most of the areas you are wanting to ride.

I would suggest the following riding areas.

When staying in Truckee:
Castle Peak
Little Truckee Summit
Gold Lake area

When staying in South Lake Tahoe:
Blue Lakes (Hope Valley)
Sonora Pass (one of the best areas for the deep and steep)

Last edited:

silvertip

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 3, 2001
Nevada City Calif
The entire state is getting pounded with many feet of snow.

Many trails have 3 feet of powder at 8000 feet.

I would start emailing clubs.

http://www.cnsa.net/cnsa_clubs.htm

Have you ridden Bridgeport to Bodie and Bridgeport up over Ricky Peak to Sonora Pass?

When are you coming down?

Don,
I've ridden with them and Bridgeport to Bodie is not what they are looking for.
Now Sonora Pass most definitely.

B

Boondoctor

Jan 24, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
www.sapphireskies.net
Lookin forward to some pow, and maybe some sun too. thanks in advance for whatever answers you might have to these questions...

What snoparks do you access these areas from?
Castle Peak
Little Truckee Summit (is this the one 7-8 miles north of Truckee?)
Gold Lake area- (north of Truckee?)

Is Sonora worth the drive if staying SLT?
Does Blue Lakes have enough riding to take up a day? I heard you can ride out any big stuff in a couple hours...

We aren't set on staying anywhere in particular so if you have any suggestions it would be appreciated..
Anyone up for a ride Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday? Buy ya a tank of gas and dinner?
Hope one of these days we can return the favor if you guys are light on snow..plenty of killer riding up here most winters. Lots of vertical, chutes, drops.. just gotta hit the snow when it is good or it sets up. You guys have Sierra cement? I tell ya, come and try some cascade concrete sometime.. Na, seriously come on up when it is good and you'll like it
Thanks again-

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Is Sonora worth the drive if staying SLT?

You guys have Sierra cement?

-

Ask these guys ....

Sonora Pass Sno-Goers
P.O. Box 3231
Sonora, CA 95370
Rep. Norm Beyer
P.O. Box 392
Twain Harte, CA 95383
209-586-5222
Fax 209-586-7746
nbeyer@mlode.com

Don,
I've ridden with them and Bridgeport to Bodie is not what they are looking for.
Now Sonora Pass most definitely.

Do we have Sierra Cement ??? Ya we have it ... it is underneath the 2-8 feet of powder that just fell on the mountain up and down the entire Sierra mountain range.

Look at Mammoth forecast about an hour from Sonora.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=93546

Next "big" storm is a week away.

Do you know how to use the NOAA snow site?

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/graph.html?station=SRAC1&w=600&h=400&uc=0&by=2009&bm=2&bd=2&bh=12&ey=2009&em=2&ed=17&eh=12&data=0&units=0&x=-119.5994&y=38.3103

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/graph.html?station=LELC1&w=600&h=400&uc=0&by=2009&bm=2&bd=2&bh=12&ey=2009&em=2&ed=17&eh=12&data=0&units=0&x=-119.6118&y=38.276

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I think SO MUCH snow has fallen with temps so cold and snow well below 5000 feet ...

Avalanche and hard to get to the great spots are a concern.

It seems (based on those temp stations aka SNOTEL ) the dumping we had (last 72 hours) has not seen any above freezing temps.

I think Sonora would be awesome for you. Especially if you are REALLY REALLY good. Ask SILVERTIP and TEAM SUMMIT because they have filmed there and the climbs . chutes are in their film.

It might be TOO DEEP OF POWDER to approach Levitt Lake from the 395 ? Please chime in guys.

This past two weeks ... it is safe to say this is the most snow on the ground ... at one time since November and all previous dumpings "melted significantly" prior to the next big storm. Most okay snow was above 8500 feet and it sucked below 7000.

Plus before this storm there were a few places with exposed rocks / stumps etc. and I am not sure how setup the off trail / hill climbing is gonna be.

Now there might be another "warmer" storm this weekend based on what I read. So sunny skies to Saturday and this Saturday storm may be rain below 7500 feet during the day.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
OK that's it we are coming! After seeing 80 inches in NINE DAYS we can't resist. Coming down from Seattle area to ride Wed through Saturday. Rode with Silvertip a few years back and had a blast (thanks Silvertip!). Could use a little help getting pointed in the right direction, if anyone would be so kind. Four of us on longtrack newer Dragons or XP's with a few extra goodies, looking for the steepest or the deepest. Sounds like finding deep will be easy; would like some challenging terrain too. Silvertip took us into some place he called the waterfall, that was pretty cool, some chutes to climb and plenty of boondockin. Thinking of riding Donner two days and trying somewhere else for two days.. any suggestions? Is Hope Valley a good spot? If anyone is so inclined it would be cool to hook up and maybe you could get us pointed in the right direction.. Any suggestions on where to stay? We were going to stay in Truckee two days and SLT two days, but open for any suggestions, thanks a ton

As of today first time in many years ,Unrideable. 4 feet fresh a few days ago and 6 more feet yesterday /today at 8000.Sled will not run with so much powder , we need a few sunny days before it will be good.Did I just say that!coming from someone who chases all the powder,Flat trail and cannot move,But C.A. is always sunny after the storms,Slides will be dangerous

xsssive

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2008
Reno, NV
As of today first time in many years ,Unrideable. 4 feet fresh a few days ago and 6 more feet yesterday /today at 8000.Sled will not run with so much powder , we need a few sunny days before it will be good.Did I just say that!coming from someone who chases all the powder,Flat trail and cannot move,But C.A. is always sunny after the storms,Slides will be dangerous

I agree!! It's a complete stuck-fest until this snow settles. This weekend should be great.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Rode Hope Valley today, and it was DEEEEEEEEP. It's the first time I've ridden into Polaris Bowl and thought that I might not be able to ride back out. The sun started poking out around 3pm, and the powder was over the hood, throttle to the handlebar, all day.
Stay off the hills boys!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I sure hope someone deletes your post!,

I want you all to know what is going on so you can go ride and enjoy.

Come on guy it is getting late in the season and we now have the best snow depth of the season.

Enjoy the powder while you can.

Here is a video of riding in a California Meadow on 15 February

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI45WcrWZys

Last edited:
Premium Features