• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

? for Polaris clutch experts on IQ primary clutches

N
Nov 26, 2007
Bottineau ND
I am needing a 08 800 Dragon primary clutch. I went to the Polaris parts site to look one up and find that the 08-09 800 dragon have a specific part # with no interchange with any other years or engine sizes. Why? What is the difference between a D7 and a D8 clutch? I also noticed the 115 belt has a different belt side taper than a 080 belt so I am guessing the clutch side sheaves are angled different also? I was told the belt side angle was for belt heat issues if I remember right.
Also how many different crank tapers is Polaris currently using?
I have people telling me any big block wide bearing clutch will work will work but I would like to know why there are different part # clutches. I also know they all come with no spring or weights so it isn't that that is making the part # different.

http://parts.polarisind.com/OtherAssemblies.asp?partid=1322796

Thanks

Last edited:
S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I am pretty sure the clutch they are using is the same as the clutch from the 800 non-VES and VES days. Same taper, sheave angles and internals I think. I know the puller is the same.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
D8 has the different taper, the others don't interchange.

Sheeve face angles are the same, but Polaris messes with the angle on the belts some times to make them grip different and to help with belt heat.

You need a new style 800 clutch for your 800, the old style 800 clutches don't interchange.

sled_guy

Premium Features