• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Swapping tunnels and titling issues in SD

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Has anyone in SD swapped tunnels on a sled? What do you do about ID's on the tunnel and keeping the state happy? Any info would be helpful. I called the county who gave me a name & phone # at the the state but left several messages there and can't get a return answer.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I was told you would have to have it inspected in Sioux Falls, I think she said at the Highway Patrol office??. About the only time you'll run into issues is if you go to sell it, I've been running custom tunnels for 4-5 years on a couple sleds and never been asked about the VIN number or anything else. Lady from the Div of Motor Vehicles beat around the bush that I shouldn't worry about it unless I go to sell it and need to provide something on paper. I sold one sled to a guy in Canada and it didn't have a VIN on it and I just had to provide a receipt with the date it was installed and why. For arguments sake I stamped in a serial number of my own on the underside and put that number on the invoice, but customs said all they would need is a receipt of the work done.

Premium Features