• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 800 motor, oil pump cam arm sticking

S

sledbilly

Apr 9, 2007
MY FIX BELOW , 09 800 motor, oil pump cam arm sticking

anyone else experiencing loading with oil at idle, slow speed

the oil pump cam arm does not always fully return when you close the throttle. It looks like the cam might be tight against the post that holds the return spring tail and there is just enough friction that the return spring cannot overcome and close fully. Also, the return spring sort of sits there cockeyed and one wind is up against the cam which also may create enough friction that the spring cannot overcome. might be a casting problem too.

you can see the operation of the cam from the topside.

anybody got a fix? we have a warm spell coming and I want to get this fixed. my oil use is ridiculous and it just sucks when the sled loads up at idle or slow speed. blipping the throttle sometimes gets the cam to fully return but many times does not...doesn't matter whether you let the throttle snap back or let it off gently. Strange 'cause it doesn't hang all the time.B

Last edited:
B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
400miles

my 09 m8 sp just had the oil pump replaced, yesterday.

mine was sticking 3/4 open and no return. Winding the spring and entire turn will be near impossible. we loosened the linkage and it still sticks. Found it when i noticed oil blowing by the y-pipe and splashing on jugs. Pump replaced under warranty.

Otherwise, sled is flawless. NO codes, no other issues.

C
Nov 17, 2008
Just checked my sled oil lever is sticking most of the time. Then ckecked three of my budds sleds Two were sticking.All are m8

P
Nov 26, 2007
My 09 m1000 sp does the same thing. Have to take it all apart for a bulk head this week, see if I can figure out a fix. bogs bad when it sticks.

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
that is actually how my dealer setup my new pump. Assuming that is in the closed at-rest position. My old pump would stick at WOT, never returning.
Looks like safe position to idle, but might smoke a little=safe for the WOT pull, buddy roost!

Whats your oil ratio? Is oil blowing everywhere?

CatAttack

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Taber, AB
Had the oil pump sticking on my 09 M1000, dealer just replaced last week under warranty. Pump was sticking between 3/4 and 1/2 open

S

sledbilly

Apr 9, 2007
my fix

chere's how I fixed mine.

dealer has already looked at and agreed to replace. don't want to be down so this should work. here's what I did with a pic. the pump cam definitely hangs, you can feel it when operating by hand. can't see anything on the outside that is causing it to hang, must be a casting problem.

1. remove hood
2. remove air silencer, bungee ECU up out of the way
3. remove boot between air silencer and throttle bodies
4. you do not need to remove throttle bodies
4.5 remove oil pump arm from oil pump, some small pieces
5. the red mark in the pics is the post that carries the return spring
6. with a pair of needle nose pliers (thru the frame where boot is in #3) you can grab spring wire at post and pull spring around post thereby shortening spring. you can see the additional spring tail in the pic. had to do it a ouple times before cam would close on its own. probably shortened spring about 3/8" or so.

there is still full rotational movement of the cam. I tried to remove cam but feels like it must be pressed on shaft and wanted to try this first.

removing cam and winding spring one full turn may not allow full rotational movement of the cam.

shortening the spring this way obviously increases return force, you can feel it by hand before and after. after i shortened spring enough to get cam return every time I repeated the shortening process two times

for some reason can't upload pics. you can go here to see pics http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=400091&view=findpost&p=4510421

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Doo had a lot of problems with this a few years ago and most of the guys just hooked a pull spring on the arm and fastened it to the bulkhead. It did add some extra thumb fatigue but at least they did'nt leave a cloud of smoke everywhere.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
chere's how I fixed mine.

dealer has already looked at and agreed to replace. don't want to be down so this should work. here's what I did with a pic. the pump cam definitely hangs, you can feel it when operating by hand. can't see anything on the outside that is causing it to hang, must be a casting problem.

1. remove hood
2. remove air silencer, bungee ECU up out of the way
3. remove boot between air silencer and throttle bodies
4. you do not need to remove throttle bodies
4.5 remove oil pump arm from oil pump, some small pieces
5. the red mark in the pics is the post that carries the return spring
6. with a pair of needle nose pliers (thru the frame where boot is in #3) you can grab spring wire at post and pull spring around post thereby shortening spring. you can see the additional spring tail in the pic. had to do it a ouple times before cam would close on its own. probably shortened spring about 3/8" or so.

there is still full rotational movement of the cam. I tried to remove cam but feels like it must be pressed on shaft and wanted to try this first.

removing cam and winding spring one full turn may not allow full rotational movement of the cam.

shortening the spring this way obviously increases return force, you can feel it by hand before and after. after i shortened spring enough to get cam return every time I repeated the shortening process two times

for some reason can't upload pics. you can go here to see pics http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=400091&view=findpost&p=4510421

None of your pictures worked

Premium Features