• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Headed to Lake Vermillion area, any good deep stuff?

B
Jan 18, 2009
A group of us are heading up on the 20th and I am just wondering if there is any good power lines or logging roads to ride. A couple of us would like to play in some deep pow for a day and maybe get stuck once or twice :)

Stuck.jpg

B
Jan 18, 2009
Lame, guess we'll just have to hammer the trails and put on some good mileage. Oh well should still be fun.Maybe they'll ome fresget some fresh before we come, doubt it. :)

L
Jan 29, 2009
Rapid City, SD
I guess we just hit the Jan/Feb drought. I would expect a few more inches scattered throughout the week upcoming, but nothing in the forecast.

I'll tell you what. Powder is a blast, but so is hammering trails as fast as you can handle. I get a huge rush out of that, I hope you do too!

B
Jan 18, 2009
You're right powder's fun, but sometimes hittin 100 and railin through the corners can be more fun. I'm sure a few of us will end up breakin off the big group, not everyone going with us feels the same way I do.

L
Jan 29, 2009
Rapid City, SD
I pretty much only ride with people who travel at reasonable speeds. I only get out with my older cousin once in a while, but when I do, we cover ground....fast.

Funny part is, with the twisty trails up here, I can keep up with him on my 500ss, when he's on his 800mod racer. I fall behind, but he never waits more than 3 minutes at road crossings. Plus, I get 16mpg's riding hard....he gets...5. So that's pretty sweet. If we ever come to any straight away's, I can kiss his snow flap good bye though.

B
Jan 18, 2009
Funny how that works. :) Just goes to show ya that power isn't everything! I ride with a guy who has a XC500 and he just makes guys look silly in the trails. Guys ridin 7s and 8s and he blows them away in the trails.

Any good trails up there you suggest? We've never been up there.

L
Jan 29, 2009
Rapid City, SD
Well, for twisty, the Taconite is your best bet.

For straight aways, the Arrowhead and Bearskin. But be careful on them, some po po have been spotted on them recently.

Personally, I like the Taconite, it runs from Grand Rapids through Tower, and all the way up to Ely. Turns, straight stretches (although nothing like the two above) swamps, hills, forests, just about everything. It gets beaten up in the trees every weekend, but they groom it and its back to near perfection every time.

B
Jan 18, 2009
We're gonna be there for 3 days so maybe we can try and hit all 3. I'm aimin to put like 200 on on saturday even if my cuz and I end up riding by ourselves, which is fine we'll set a nice aggressive pace. :)

B
Jan 3, 2009
This guy is gay don't listen to what he says.

NO actually im the cuz just givin him grief but let us know if it is even worth coming pleeease

V
skipping

Don't plan on finding any open water for skipping. Your about a month early other than if the lakes don't drain through from the last few days of rain and you can skip on top of the ice anywhere you want!

L
Jan 29, 2009
Rapid City, SD
I'd like to update the trail condition.

Ok, so after the rain, we lost some snow. But, I'm happy to announce that the trails survived!

If you have any specific questions about the area around lake Vermillion, message me. I'd be more than happy to either play tour guide, or give you any info you need.

Premium Features