• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Troubles with 05 Superduty?

R
Sep 9, 2008
I was wondering if there was anything to watch out for on a 05 SD?
I am looking at a lariet crewcab with 186000 km. Head gasket was done at 100k, and EGR was just done. Any help is appreciated.

M

Macattack

Nov 27, 2007
Lake Tapps
I have an 04 6.0 and had a cam sensor leave me stranded and a phantom no start problem. Other than that, 73k trouble free miles. (I may have just jinxed myself)

I heard of issues with head gaskets, EGR coolers, high pressure oil pumps, turbos, and the list goes on.

I get about 16-17 mpg and its my daily driver. Would I buy one again? If I could guarantee my fairly decent luck so far, probably but not if I had some of the classic problems. I'd find out more on the truck's history before buying.

good luck!:beer;

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Assuming your warranty in canada is the same as here (100,000 miles / 160,000 km) then you are on your own.

My headgaskets went at 100,000, and they replaced the egr cooler and egr valve at the same time.

I replaced my turbo at 125k (new turbo is around $1,000 US...pretty easy do it yourself project), and at 126k my egr cooler blew again, and I lost a couple of injectors, so I replaced all 8 ($350 ea).

I would talk to the diesel tech who did the work and ask about this truck. There are EGR cooler delete kits out there (not from Ford, though)...take a look at the Powerstroke Forums for more info.

Remember, some of these issues are items ALL diesels have (egr valve, injectors, turbo), but the others are just poor design. Hopefully the newer head gaskets solve that issue, but the EGR cooler is one I think about every road trip.

I still really like the truck (bought it new), and all 3 have their issues. The tranny is the best of the big 3 (even better than the almighty Allison, IMO).

Hope this helps...if you're getting a screaming deal, and are ok with dealing with fixing a couple of things, then I would say go for it.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Id buy anything for the right price, even a Dodge...well i donno. The head gasket job is good to see, as long as the guy had the smarts to get studs tossed in at the same time. EGR... fairly common, but if you do a delete kit thats another bonus. Keep the oil clean, fuel filters clean regularly, and injector issues should be few and far between. I enjoy mine.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
from what i understand its not the gaskets but the studs stretching that cause the gaskets to go...if the studs werent replaced at the same time then i would plan on replacing them as well as the gaskets fairly soon....(which requires pulling the cab off the frame.) a buddy of mine has an 03 6.0 and its been a great truck for him.....ford dealer did the ats head studs and head gasket under warranty....thing rips and the 6 speed is really nice for towing. (not sure about the auto)

P
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
The 6.0L cylinder heads are bolted on with strech to yeld bolts not studs. If they did head gasket they had to replace the head bolts that come with a gasket kit. They do make a aftermarket stud kit that should help with the headgasket problem but ford also has updated headgaskets for your truck that should prevent that.

P
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
The thing I would be worried the most about on an 05 would be the quick disconnect on the back of the high pressure oil pump. They make an updated kit that braces the oil line so it doesn't blow off. If it does blow off it will leave you stranded and could poss. crack the rear engine cover. The parts are cheap but the labor to do it is expensive.

Premium Features