• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounting Sled Deck?

DanoXRS

King Ding-aLing
Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I don't have one...but my brother and some of my friends do. They all have aluminum decks and mount them with turnbuckles. Make sure and check them often or wire them so they don't come loose.
Good luck.

B
Nov 26, 2007
North Vancouver
Be careful attaching the turnbuckles...

I have an 06 Dodge, and the tiedowns in the box are a joke.
Plastic cleats, that are bolted to the side, with well-nuts...

When I had a deck in the box, it would always shift because I couldn't tighten it without popping a cleat...the turnbuckles could be tightened by hand enough to pop out the cleats from there mounts.:eek:

I bought some Erickson bed tie downs, that are installed in the bed, and are substantially stronger than what Dodge offered. They had an insert, which bolts into the bed, and then a threaded ring bolt that would thread into the insert, to leave you with a flush fitting when you took it out.... I see now that the 08s have welded steel tie downs again.

Some decks, like Marathon are through bolted right into the box. I like that option best...

BD

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
I used to use the turnbuckles but they were a pain to put on and they always came lose. Just switched to some big ratchet straps. one on the front and one on the back, just go over the whole frame of the deck, been out a few times and it works pretty good. doesnt come lose and holds it in place. Easy to put on and take off too.

if you have camper tie down I would mount there, I am not sure but I think the ratings on tie down in the box are way lower than what the weight is on two wet sleds and deck....

I broke a hook inside of my truck "2003" not on the deck, but when I broke it I could tell they are not strong if there is just a tiny angle on them.

So I rewelded mounts on the deck and now have it mounted of the camper tie downs with chains and turn buckles. Hasnt moved a hair and SOLID....when mounted inside the bed with turn buckles it used to come loose every now and then which I think caused the stress to eventually break one of my hooks inside the bed.

C
Nov 30, 2007
We always bolt all our decks through the bed with a 1/2" bolt, a 3/4" plywood foot pad and a 1/2" thick mounting plate under the box. We STRONGLY recomend that this is the only safe way to secure a deck to your truck. The factory tie down points in you truck are not rated and certainly not strong enough to keep your deck and toys on your truck in case of an accident.

Cheers

M.

Production manger
Marathon Truck Decks

P
Nov 26, 2007
Sled Deck

I have had my aluminum deck since Nov. 1994. Mounted with bolts thru bed of truck box- very solid, never a problem. After the first time I took my deck off, I place the bolt head from underneath, this way it protects the threads from grit/grime. The front 2 bolts have a quick detach clip thru a mounting plate therefore only need to remove nuts on back 2 bolts, crawl under deck to pull pins and then lift it off truck.

Its the only way to do it in my opinion.

M
Nov 27, 2007
bonney lake
if you have camper tie down I would mount there, I am not sure but I think the ratings on tie down in the box are way lower than what the weight is on two wet sleds and deck....

I broke a hook inside of my truck "2003" not on the deck, but when I broke it I could tell they are not strong if there is just a tiny angle on them.

So I rewelded mounts on the deck and now have it mounted of the camper tie downs with chains and turn buckles. Hasnt moved a hair and SOLID....when mounted inside the bed with turn buckles it used to come loose every now and then which I think caused the stress to eventually break one of my hooks inside the bed.
basically the same here.
i use the tork lift frame mounted camper tie downs and use turnbuckles it does not move and i know it is safe.

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
Not to hijack the thread but a question on deck mounting. I have a 08 Dodge MegaCab with the frt leveling springs ,with my deck and two sleds the frt of truck is too high. It is a 1 ton and has the overload leafs but it isn't touching them....is the fix air bags?THKS

F
Jul 26, 2001
Burien, Wa
basically the same here.
i use the tork lift frame mounted camper tie downs and use turnbuckles it does not move and i know it is safe.

I also use the tork lift tie downs. I also use blocks of wood to keep the sled deck centered between the wheel wells and the front of the box..

That thing does not move a bit.

Bolting it down with grade #8 3/4 inch bolts would look a lot better.

H
Oct 13, 2008
Both thru bolting and campers mounts would be safer ways if correctly done. Nice camper mounts(FRAME MOUNTED) could have a huge load rate.

Keep in mind your wet weight of two sleds/quads on a huge leverage point.

Be safe and overdue it,
letmetryitwithyourtruck?

I
Feb 4, 2009
I use 4 ratchet bommers they are good for 2500lbs each all the way in there only 12"
long they work great i go down a lot of logging roads NO PROBLEMS

M
Feb 7, 2008
you guys should post a pic or two of your setups... Ive been looking at getting one. someone tell me about why they have one? pros/cons vs a trailer?

Thanks, Paul

Premium Features