• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP!!! Someone is going to get killed!

Y
HELP!!! Someone is going to get killed!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been ridding the same mnt. range for almost 30 years, last week I broke over a ridge and down a steep chute and at the bottom almost enddoed my sled off a 8 foot vertical bank, that was never there before. A person had bought a snow-cat with a blade and built roads all over in the back country for access to take people of lesser ability snowmobiling. There are a lot of these roads across the faces of the hills we climb.
I have contacted the U.S. Forest Service Law Enforcement and the Idaho State Snowmobile Association to find out if this person has a permit to guide or run a snow-cat on U.S.F.S. (public) land.
I'm not trying to stop people from sledding in the area but these roads that are cut in are very dangerous.

If anyone has any suggestions of a different or better course of action i can take, please let me know.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Good Morning.

I'm not sure where you are, but in most area's there are a couple of people that you can talk to and find out what just about anyone is up to. Ask around. Equipment is expensive. Running equipment is expensive, it's a good bet it's not being done in a lark.

It could be that someone is trying to improve access for less skilled riders, if that is the case you should be able to talk with them and explain the hazzards of what's happening. However, if they are skilled riders themselves, then they already know. Maybe some projected project? Logging? Mining? Dig a little deeper and see what info you can ferret out.

I wouldn't think a snocat would be hard to track, either back to a building or to a snopark where you could keep an eye out and talk to the operator.

Another consideration is someone that doesn't like ya'll riding there is trying to move you somewhere else.......

Keep posting what you find out.

B

Y
This is in Adams county Idaho. I know the snow-cat owner and the operator. They own a hi-dollar dude ranch and think the mountain belongs to them. I'm not trying to stop anyone from going on the mountain, just have consideration for others safety. We all want to have fun.

Premium Features