• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken clutch question

D

decarls

Nov 26, 2007
Brainerd, Mn
While doing regular service and cleaning the other night to my '03 600 my buddy thought he'd put the clutch back on & tighten it. Rather than use the right tool to hold it he used a screwdriver and I now have a piece a little smaller than a quarter missing from the outer sheave of the TRA lll.

I'm looking for a replacement as I type but does anyone know if it would hurt to ride this weekend or should I let it sit till I get it replaced? Have a decent ride planned for Sunday and I'd like to go but I don't know if it being unbalanced will ruin something else.

Thanks

S
Nov 13, 2008
Northern Utah
i wouldnt take the chance just for the fact that you could have small unseen craks around where that piece broke. you dont want it do crack and come apart from spinning and vibrations.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
If you have ever seen a clutch come aprt at 8000rpm you wouldn't be asking! It is not pretty or safe. My brother about lost his leg when a clutch come apart. don't ride it. Like someone else said, even if it does not come apart, it can hurt your crank. Hope you find one for the weekend, if not, sit it out.:mad:

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
If you have ever seen a clutch come aprt at 8000rpm you wouldn't be asking! It is not pretty or safe. My brother about lost his leg when a clutch come apart. don't ride it. Like someone else said, even if it does not come apart, it can hurt your crank. Hope you find one for the weekend, if not, sit it out.:mad:

What he said ^

I saw a primary come apart on a 700 SRX and it tossed one of the weights right through the hood. Ugly mess.

H

highmarkedu

Nov 27, 2007
MT
AN UNBALANCED CLUTCH=BROKEN CRANK and $$$$$$$$ TICKING TIMEBOMB WAITING TO CREATE COMPLETE HAVOC

D

decarls

Nov 26, 2007
Brainerd, Mn
thanks for the opinions. i have one on the way, should be here early next week. i think i'll just sit in the fish house & drink beer rather than stuff a primary in my leg.

dc

Premium Features