• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just Bought a 08 Phazer for the Wife

S
Nov 26, 2007
Cowtown, AB
I just bought a 08 Phazer Mtn for the wife. I pick it up next week and was wondering if it was worth getting an extended warrenty on this thing. I've heard the 07s had some reverse issues and wiring harness issues but relatively minor. Is it worth $600 to get an extra 2 yr warrenty? I was leaning towards getting it as I think she will likely only put on 2-300kms per year so it won't even get broke in before the warrenty expires! I'll have to put a few miles on it for her!

Has anyone tried an RSR skid plate on it? How do they fit? Royal Dist. lists them for $65 (Yami wants $125).

I've heard they can have cold starting issues...is this just an '07 problem?

Anything else I should know or do to it so the wife is happy?

Thanks,

Shawn.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT

We have a 08, no cold starting issues, we did a skinz float plate $100 fits perfect, no hassle install. Seems to help some. The only wiring problem we had was the hot grips didn't get wired correct from the factory. Close the tunnel, helps with keeping ice from forming on the boards. The front end is soft, try setting the front shocks as tight as they will go and move the skis to there widest setting till she gets used to it. Enjoy Dino

G
Nov 30, 2007
:) of all the sleds I have owned over the many years the Phazer would be at the bottom of the list for an extended warranty. The damned thing just keeps going and going without any troubles; the o7's did have a starting problem in cold weather but, Yamaha stepped up to the plate and fixed the problem with their money, a lot more than I can say about any other sled mfg I have dealt with.
I would second the Skinz flotation plate, it works fine. You may have to get it from Skinz because most of the Dealers are back ordered, not a big deal but it's just a little more from Skinz.

D
Nov 30, 2007
I just bought an 09 for my wife and was faced with the same question, the way my dealer put it was that " I could sell you the extra warranty, and I make money from it, but honestly it isnt worth it cause there have been no issues with them". I am also wondering about the skid plate thing.

whatryan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
lemars iowa
i get the warranty for sure there been a few blow motors out there around 1500 miles on the 07 there is a balancer nut come lose and lock her a?? up. i have had problem with wireing to on my 07 nothing to major close the tunnel of to and hole saw the running boards to get rid of the snow on the running boards works great one more thing get the recalls done to there a few out there need more enought on phazer go to totallyamaha.com there alot of post on there for the phazer

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
08 and 09 are better than the 07 models for shure.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Thanks for the tips Dino.

Did you have to install thier bumper to install the skid plate? What close-off panel did you use?

Thanks,

Shawn
Nope stock bumper , took longer to find my tools than to doo the install:rolleyes: Close off panel for me was a old street sign that the county road crew left laying in the ditch, some heat tape on the bottom of the seat and wa la done. Yamaha makes a close off plate kit... just under a $100 I think ...maybe less. Still working on the clutching, with the 153 track I feel there is more to be had from the clutches??? Not much of a clutch expert:face-icon-small-dis trial and error mostly... Dino

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
I picked up a 07 this past weekend. It takes a long time to start. But the gas in it is at least one year old if not two. Cause the previous owner only put 12 miles on it last season(130 total).

Asked my local dealer today about the cold start update and they said that was only for machines that are used in -17 degreese or less conditions. So they said to change the plugs and gas and should be good to go.

So tonight I did the plugs(omg) and drained the tank. That was easy since the tank is ALREADY OFF cause you have to TAKE THE TANK OFF to do the plugs. Jeeze yamaha...

We'll see how she runs tomorrow when I get some new premeum fuel in'er.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
my wife has a 08 no problems just snow buildup on the boards but other than that good machine. Recall on hand warmers fun sled to ride[/QUOT

The hand warmers on my wifes phazer dont work either what have you heard about a recall? Haven't been able to find any info. Other than that, sled's awsome for her.
Dont know what year sled you have but the 08 MTX sleds came from the factory with out the correct wire harness for the grips :eek: Musta been alot of mondays at the factory. Yamaha will fix the grips for this preticular sp? problem. Better boards help a bunch with the snow build up. Dino

S
Nov 26, 2007
Cowtown, AB
Thanks Dino, I'll ask the dealer about the grips...I think thats my wifes favorite part of a sled so I better make sure those work! I'll look at snow eleiminator running boards once she has put a few miles on it. Did you cut a 15" wide track down to fit the tunnel? How did you do that? Was it a major PITA?

Warrenty seems to be a personnal preferance. I've had two Phazers before (a '92 and a '96) and never had anything go wrong with them (other than doing the top end at 5500kms which I did myself) but I would not even attempt to work on this '08 motor. If I have a motor problem then into the dealer it goes! So I'm leaning towards an extended warrenty just so we have warrenty through the end of next season and I'll make sure we put at least 1000kms on it. The factory 1yr warrenty is really only good to May....it's not much good thought the summer!

I'll check out Totallyamaha to see if there are anyother recals o the '08.

Thanks,

Shawn

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Thanks Dino, I'll ask the dealer about the grips...I think thats my wifes favorite part of a sled so I better make sure those work! I'll look at snow eleiminator running boards once she has put a few miles on it. Did you cut a 15" wide track down to fit the tunnel? How did you do that? Was it a major PITA?

Warrenty seems to be a personnal preferance. I've had two Phazers before (a '92 and a '96) and never had anything go wrong with them (other than doing the top end at 5500kms which I did myself) but I would not even attempt to work on this '08 motor. If I have a motor problem then into the dealer it goes! So I'm leaning towards an extended warrenty just so we have warrenty through the end of next season and I'll make sure we put at least 1000kms on it. The factory 1yr warrenty is really only good to May....it's not much good thought the summer!

I'll check out Totallyamaha to see if there are anyother recals o the '08.

Thanks,

Shawn
Yep keep the wife happy and you'll both enjoy more!!.. Cut a 15 wide down with a skill saw...there should still be pics of it here...type in Phazer 153 on the search, should bring it up. Our oldest son helped me, took about 4 hrs total. Made a huge differance on how the sled gets around in the powder. Wasn't to hard to doo:p Dino

Premium Features