• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What EGT temps should I have??

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
I've got a 700 based poo twin that was bored and ported by SLP. I'm running SLP twins made for that motor with probes about 6.5 in from piston skirt. What should my max temp I should be running at??

L
Mar 7, 2008
You could do a quick search on this there's lto's of info

but from what I under stand 1100 to 1200 is good and up to 1250 MAX

S

shell_guy

Jan 28, 2008
Red Deer, AB
Wrong, put the EGT's in the pipe and forget about them. Tune the motor to be perfect (plugs and wash) then look at the EGT's, remeber that number is good, higher than that will therefore be lean.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
You won't know until your plugs and piston wash is dialed in. Don't even look at your EGTs until then.

L

locknload

Dec 5, 2007
EGT's

Shell guy is right for the simple reason that if you do not have the probes the proper distance from the piston, your readings will not be accurate.

S
Dec 7, 2007
All three of the last posters are right. Put them in, in a reasonable position, then tune the engine via other, normal methods. THEN look at your EGT's. Sure, 1100-1200-1250 is the standard, but many things affect this. I have seen FAR higher values on my race engine, for explainable reasons. The EGT guage is simply an indicator that something MAY be going wrong.. .

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Pinko The answer to your question (what EGT temps should I have) is what ever your instrument reports when you see perfect plug reaction to a given RPM and cylinder head temp or known coolant temp. Each report is independant and the number you see is important only to you with your situation. The numbers are simply pulse responses to give you a measuring scale for both performance and safety. Your reports could be in dots, Arabic, colors, x's & o's or what ever, but they all mean the same thing (burn ratio of fuel to spark). Heat report pulses per a timed ratio. go to www.f-bombracing.com read our Digatron Tech page...it gives you the concept and some testing sequences to insure that you are understanding the process to get the most from EGT and engine data management.

Premium Features