• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Caught in the act - hope everyone went home...

Stovebolt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tetons
www.bustedcompass.com
I'm posting this in the Avy Awareness forum, not in General for a popularity contest or a pissing match. Lots of discussion on the boards here lately about slides, fatalities, tools, philosophy, training, awareness. Discussion is great and I'm all for it. In the interest of making some positive observation, I will post an image or two I shot this afternoon on a recon flight (search for pow!) in the hope that the illustrations will give pause to everybody and that it may reshape some people's habits and thinking about how they go about thumping on those hills.

Snow conditions aside - and they are fairly unstable region-wide at present, one should never go thumping on a hill "all at once." It's almost the simplest and certainly has to be the least expensive form of sledding-in-action safety that can be performed, and the deadliest statistically that is neglected. How many times do the avy instructors warn that if only one practice were adhered to, banging on a hill one sledder at a time with partners in observation, then the fatality rate from avalanche would be reduced by 50%? Answer: Lots of times they say it. I hear it every year in the classrooms.

Anyway, we saw parties out having fun today, and it was great to view the scenery and scope out ridable terrain in the plane. We saw some parties looking like they were tracking up some great territory in boondock-land, and being safe about it, and we saw some parties riding in areas and in such a way that was about shocking, especially given snowpack conditions. Oh well, I've seen death before, but it's not a nice thing to watch - so I'm old and cringe about it now.

Look at pics and see if you can find the 6 riders all banging on the same hill, the leeward side of a windswept ridge in the Big Hole Mountains, in avalanche terrain, all at once. See if you can spot the no-runout zone, and the guy sidehilling across the entire party on top. Even if snow conditions were as safe as you can predict, the practice is completely off the charts in terms of awareness and responsibility - in my opinion.

Your mileage may vary.
Opinion is offered as mine and mine only, and as opinion only.

Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

P1030177  resized 2.jpg

Last edited:

Stovebolt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tetons
www.bustedcompass.com
Big Hole aerial view - Relay Ridge

Here's another snap from the East, looking West onto Relay Ridge.

I don't want to bash these guys. I don't know who they are, but I hope they went home with no trouble. And, I hope they learn someday, that the kind of hills that are fun, are fun because most often, they are in the slope angle range that snow likes to slide on. We compete for the same terrain - highmarking and hill climbing is no fun on flat stuff. It gets fun and interesting on the same angles that avalanches tend to run on.

So, train.
Beacon - shovel - probe.

Now you can go out the door.

Practice safe riding. Skills, standards and practices. (Practice does not make perfect. "Perfect" Practice Makes Perfect. These riders are perhaps very well habituated at doing some dangerous things, and consequently have become very good at it. It's going to take more effort to "relearn" and replace those habits of mind than it wold have taken to learn it correctly in the first place.

Other equipment as afforded and desired and trained with afterwards - well and good. But no gear will outrun lack of awareness.

Good luck in the hills.

Stovey

* I have over 100 pics of just this afternoon's overflight, covering riding areas from the Tetons to Island Park and West, over Sawtelle, Jefferson, Reas and Keg Springs and the Big Holes. Some interesting spots sledders were hammering on and parking under and on top of. Video in a fixed wing is problematic, so don't look for any url from me directing to Youtube of interns at clown college going sledding. But it's worth noting that some parties seemed more on the ball than others, and I hope we don't read about any of them on this forum or in the news.

Don't park under slidepaths. Don't ride into snow at the top of likely/possible release zones. One guy at a time - watch your bro, take some pics - get a rhythm going and stay hydrated while you take a spell and wait to drop the hammer again. Watch out for being trapped in places you can't escape an oncoming train with several million metric tons of snow in it. Flat isn't always safe just because it's flat - distance is your friend.

Have fun. Come home. Do it again.

Stovey - out

P1030181  resized 2.jpg

Last edited:
M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Thanks for the pics and words of wisdom and reminders.

Funny thing about Darwin...but Sucks for the families and friends, especially when it's avoidable.

Stovebolt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tetons
www.bustedcompass.com
Not my plane, but I would be happy to ride with you...

Scut,

I appreciate the offer, but as it is, I am needed to assist in navigation and supervising the Swedish Co-ed High Mountain Powder Interns, and there is precious little room on board in the 182. I am not the pilot, or plane owner either, by the way - REVPILOT is. Be careful about what you wish for there........:face-icon-small-win

And by the way Scut - why did you beat up Ralphie?

As ever,

Stovey

Stovey-

you should take me flying with you so that i can operate the plane while you take pictures.....or the other way around, if you like.

Stovebolt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tetons
www.bustedcompass.com
I stand corrected........

That's right, Ralphie got all medieval on you and Mom dragged him off of ya. I remember now......

I'll check the passenger manifests for the upcoming month, and see if there's any way you could fly space-available. Might have to tape you onto a strut under the wing, but you already own cold-weather gear, right - should be no problem. I'll go ask REVPILOT.

REVPILOT? Oooooh R-E-V-P-I-L-O-T.............

.......oh crap..... I see he's got his tongue stuck to the flagpole again. Can't talk now, gotta go get some help. Great - last time this happened he couldn't use his radio mic for a week, and he had to fly using sign language. Which was fine enough for in the cockpit, but not so good talking to the tower over Ohare.......

Stovebolt

Stovey-

i didn't beat up ralphie-remeber? he beat me up, bloodied my nose and gave me a fat lip.....and his mom had to peel him off of me. hard times for scut.

and it sounds to me like you and revpilot definitely need a chaperone with all of those co-eds.

Premium Features