• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 Phazer chaincase leak

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Have a leak in the chaincase somewhere, but can't find it. Kid only rode it 20 miles on x-mas day and was dang near dry. Checked outer gasket--- no oil. Checked drive shaft seal--- no oil there. It's coming from inside the tunnel but can't finger it out!!!!!

Anyone have an idea??? Thanks:beer;

W

woodies

fill it up and run it on a track stand you'll find it soon enough.you sure they didn't tip it for a while maybe?

C
Nov 29, 2008
Had same problem with one of our mtn lites - there is a small seal (can't recall what for) on the upper part of the backside of the chain case which leaked when the oil splashed up and pooled in the area where the seal was located - dealer fixed under warranty.

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Now to really confuse everyone:eek:

Filled chaincase back up, ran on trackstand for 15min. No oil...

Checked engine oil.... down 1/2qt. Topped it off too.

Ran sled on Sat, (approx 15 mi). No oil on snow that we could see. Pulled it into shop Sat afternoon, today.....oil puddle the size of a paper plate.

Check chaincase and engine oil.... here's where it gets weird....
Both are at same level as when I topped them off on Sat:confused::confused:

Don't know WTF is goin on:confused:

S
Sep 8, 2008
phazer issues

just bought 2007 phazer 6500km around 4000 miles on anything i should be worried about was dealer maintained just wondering about things to keep an eye on thanks

M
Nov 26, 2007
Meeker, Colorado
Bullfrog do you have a skidplate? if so im willing to bet your leak is in the gear box behind the chaincase like stated above, i too had a seal issue costing me the last 3rd of the season last year. there is a seal between the gearbox and the chaincase plate and also a seal between the 2 halfs of the gear box if either of them leak you will not see oil on the chaincase side of the sled instead it will sit/puddle on the skidplate back behind the motor until discovered or major drive train issues arise. If you have any questions let me know.

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx

M
Nov 26, 2007
Meeker, Colorado
Also your issue of trackstand driving for 15 mins may have an answer simply due to those being optimum conditions no bumps or frame flex meaning your not putting those 2 seals to the test. You obviously have a leak so be cautious when riding and religiously check the oil level. Just a heads up it took me about 5 hrs to get to the gearbox2 nights ago, not hard just time consuming-if you guys think an oil change is bad you havent seen anything. But the seals you should check are either Number 66 or 69 in the diagram i linked you too. 66 mates the gearbox to the back side of the frame/chaincase while 69 mates the two half's of the gear box together.

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Thanks Mc:beer;:beer; Tore into it last nite, touch of oil on Skinz plate, but the dinky little stock plate was dry. Thinkin you have nailed it with those 2 seals. Tried to get pics but hard to see.
Thanks again, may ask ya more as I proceed.

Last edited:
B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Update to what I found...
Thanks to Mc for leading me in right direction:beer;
4hr teardown and found the seals and gaskets that were bad:eek: Going to replace ALL of them while its tore apart!!!!! Not a fun project, but learned a lot about the sled;)

Just have couple more ?'s.. The jackshaft has some blueing on the end, should I be worried about weak shaft now??

Also what feeds oil to the gearcase?? All I can see is it's from the upper chaincase bearing, which don't look like much can splash thru there:confused: Or is it thru the little copper/brass funnel shaped fitting that is sealed with the grommet thru the frame??

Here's a few pics of what used to be a sled:eek::D Last pic shows one of the seals that went out, actually had melted some of the rubber to the shaft, it got that hot:eek:

Last edited:
Premium Features