• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 King Cat Burns Belts!

C
Dec 23, 2008
I bought a 04 king cat 900 that already had some mods done to it. I dont know if they did any clutch work to it but it burns a belt about ever 80 miles including breaking it in for about 10 miles. I had our dealer look at it and the clutches are inline and everything looked good, but still burns belts. There are marks from the belt on the primary from possibly slipping, could it be somthing to do with my wieghts,spring ect. plz help if you have any ideas to the problem.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
if you lift up the back of the sled can you turn the track freely? what are you runnin for weights/helix? what elevation? any marks on the secondary? what are the belts looking like? frayed? glazed spots? cupped?

C
Dec 23, 2008
my primary clutch weights 650-67 has a yellow spring with a number 0646-147 secondary helix 49 degree red spring could any of this be my problem? track turns easy by lifting track and turning secondary. any suggestings any one

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
What gears are in the chain case? What rpm's are you getting, if the rpm's are higher than what the engine is designed for maybe try a little heavier weights . Check gearing though if it is geared more than 19 40 you might try a 42 or 43 depending on what type of riding you do. That helix sounds a little flat too. But then again not knowing what type of riding you do makes it difficult to say just what would be the right direction to go.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
agree with kmmac, need to know what kind of riding....49 does seem a little off. check your rollers cracked roller could make the secondary not wanna play very nice. check your weights, make sure a set screw didnt come out.

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
It still sounds like a miss alignment issue. Also, what secondary spring are you running and what position is it in? If you have way too much backshift it will cause premature wear.... but I'm still leaning towards alignment.

Boss

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Check the clutch bushing also it could be binding when it shifts out if that happens you would notice rpm changes where it seems like the clutch doesn't shift out smooth. More than likely though it is gearing.... Is this sled new to you? If you like a lot of boondocking then a lower gear ratio is what you want. There are lots of those sleds on the snow and most of them gear down. I used to think 19/40 was a good gear ratio until I tried 19/43 WOW what a difference. And some say that this ratio is too high.

Premium Features