• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt tension adjustment on 2001 mountain cat

B
Sep 21, 2008
I just changed out my belt becuase it was slipping. Checked the deflection and getting about 2" and i beleive the deflection should be about 1 1/4". How do i adjust the belt to tighten it to the proper deflection.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You have to take the secondary off and pull it apart. Take a washer out of the center, put the sheaves back together and hold them together as you place the belt into them. It should stick about 1/8" out the top. When you get that, put the clutch back together and stick it on. You should be just short of squealing the belt when at an idle and the clutches are warm. Check you torque stop also and make sure the rubber is still good and just touching the engine.

B
Sep 21, 2008
You have to take the secondary off and pull it apart. Take a washer out of the center, put the sheaves back together and hold them together as you place the belt into them. It should stick about 1/8" out the top. When you get that, put the clutch back together and stick it on. You should be just short of squealing the belt when at an idle and the clutches are warm. Check you torque stop also and make sure the rubber is still good and just touching the engine.

i did adjust it the way you mentioned and removed only the smallest shim. Now the deflection is right but it does sometimes squeal a little. do you think it is just because of a new belt or its to tight. If its to tight then i'm not sure how to adjust it because like i said i took out the thinnest shim. Also i have replaced my torque stop and adjusted the the parallelism to the driven clutch.

Premium Features