• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 Phazer. I think 1 cylinder is gone

S
Nov 10, 2008
sled would not run good. wanted to die at idle, tried to get on it after a long warm up and it was missing on top end. pulled it up to the shop and it just stopped running. thought it was a fouled plug. no, the plug on the PTO side was kind of ruff and eat away. put hand over holes and mag side was blowing air around hand. put hand over PTO side and it was just giving a very light puff against my hand.
Do not have a compression gauge that fits those little plugs. I did shove one done with a rubber boot on it and it read like 70 on the mag and like 10 on the pto. again it was not the correct gauge to use but it should be close. put some old plugs in it and would start but did not want to run.

What does it take to re-doo one of these 4 strokes. I hope for the best, just a bad piston and rings, not the cylinder. sled has a turbo, never got to run it hard.

Any way to try to keep it short, I am new to the 4 strokers and would like to have some input.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Cylinders and the top half of the block is one piece. It could be spendy. What turbo kit?

whatryan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
lemars iowa
sorry to hear about your luck i am having a rough year to i lost a crank bearing to but it was all me that caused it make sure u have a tight drian plug in i am sure kicking myself in the butt on this havent got it all tore down yet to see what is all bad in it but for a crank and two rods and bear rings its around and gaskets its around 900 bucks i hoping i can get the crank cleaned up and some oversized bearings to get that price down a little bit i wish u luck on that rebuild taking the top end apart should be easy but parts are not cheap for this four stroke sleds

S
Nov 10, 2008
Phazer

The Turbo kit is a boondocker. It also has the boondocker control box. The only thing I can hear about that thing is to get rid of it and run stock on the ignition. I want to put a boost gauge on the sled. You cant see what is going on because you cant see the boondocker control box when riding. Only running 13 lbs of boost with torco additive. The last time the motor was apart was when boondocker steel sleved the motor. motor was sent to boondocker. motor should be indistructable, Well Almost

S
Nov 10, 2008
De compression

How does the decompression work? one cylinder or both. if I have to redo the motor than I might as well do the update for the cold start, and part of that is the decompression spring I hear

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The starting update is a new decompression spring and a ecm program. The ecm update does more for the starting then the spring does. If you have a head shim theres know reason to take more compression from the motor when starting. This was the sled that was in the Swapmeet not to long ago? And I have never Heard Of a Boondocker kit running well for a long time. I think thats why Boondocker isnt making Any more kits then what they have left.

S
Nov 10, 2008
fire

Will do the tear down on sat.

When the sled died I tried to start the sled. But it was on fire underneath and ever time I tried to start the sled the fire grew. then someone got my attention about it and I looked underneath and saw the glow. I shoved snow until it was out. I thought it was just the exaust burning the fuel in the pipe from the dead cylinder. But maybe it is a broken line or disconnected.

That does not explain the low compression. When I pulled the plugs the one in the bad cylinder was bone dry, pitted and eat away the tip and prongs.

Premium Features