• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Phazer performance

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
So me and the wife took our 07 phazer out for the first time and it rides awesome but very under powered. I could only get 50 mph top speed is this normal and should I put a turbo on it or a super charger.

whatryan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
lemars iowa
thats a phazer it will truck threw the snow all day long just a little low on power i have to say go with the turbo if u got the cash it will make that phazer go like hell i got one on not haveing the best of luck i keep shooting myself in the foot on put things back together i am liking it a lot

Last edited:
P
Dec 12, 2007
I have an 08 phazer. Fun sled but you have to realize it is in the 550 fan class. It is better than a 550 fan but no where near a 600. You just can't expect it to be more than it is (80 horses).

I own a Nitro too and it is in between a 600 and 700 hundred smelly two stroke as far as horsepower. I like both my yamaha machines; the riding area, and my mood dictate which I ride.

No advise on turbo's, I haven't gone there yet. I got the Yammy so I wouldn't have to tinker.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
If need more power get a Nytro not as nimble as the Phazer but close and you will still have stock reliability .

The turbo phazer is a absolute blast to play with but is no where near as reliable as a boosted Apex or Nytro.

cheers........

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
I already have turbo nytro andlove it. The phazer is for the wife and she doesnt like alot of power it scares her but she said she needed more so I had to ride it all day.

So were can I be loosing HP? The guy that had it before me had the dealer put a hartman clutch kit on it and it pulles around 11500 rpm which seems good but 50mph I had a old polaris 340 that went faster then that. anybody got any ideas on what to check.

Nov 28, 2007
Spruce Grove,Ab.
Your rpm's are in the ball park,could be 2 or 3 hundred higher, but thats not going to give you 20 mph. Mark your primary with a sharpie and see if it's shifting all the way out, or have a look at the chain case, your gearing might be out to lunch for some reason. Maybe the previous owner pulled moose with it?

Last edited:

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
I have marked my clutch with a sharpie and it is not engaging fully so I loosened up the secondary as much as I can and I got 5 or 6 more mph but now I am hitting the rev limiter. and still not fully engaging, But I am at a lower altitude now so I am going to put a riviet in the clutch wieghts to try and get to engage fully. 07 what is your clutching setup?

Nov 28, 2007
Spruce Grove,Ab.
I dont have my manual here to tell you part number's, but I run the stock mountain weight's, with whatever rivet's yamaha said to use for 2000 feet. Works great,original belt with over 3000 km's, never a problem.

G
Nov 30, 2007
Ok guys I will throw my .02 worth in here.
I just rode my two Phazers at Togwotee for four days, it's the first time out on them after riding M-7's for and MC for many years. Yes i wanted a sled i did not have to work on, and reverse and electric start.
Yep the sled is under powered but! it's not any worse than some of the Polaris's I have ridden in the past. We were able to ride all the meadows with the deep powder in them we just had to ride the sled a little harder then the Cat's but they did do the job.
I did have the chance to talk to the head Guide up there about the Nytro's. He told me to stay away from them totally, His reasoning was that the sled is too heavy and will work a guy to death in the deep powder,I know the flat landers may not care about how it handles in the deep snow but that's the stuff we try to ride out here so it really makes a lot of difference to us. So no Nytro for us. I wouldn't put a turbo on a sled if they gave me one, so that's not any option, I doubt that a turbo would help the sled anyway, it may give me more power but that is not the answer for a good mountain sled.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
so Gordo did your phaser perform at the same level as mine which is only going a top speed of 50 mph on hard pack that is the real issue here not that it is underpowered I accept that but I feel that mine is way under powered and that some thing needs adjusted to make it how it was designed to be. Which is to be able to keep up with other sleds in the same power or size range.

G
Nov 30, 2007
No the little **** ran up to 70mph! I would say that it would run 60-65 almost all the time. We were in the Mountains so we had very little chance to run them out a lot.
Have you had all the recalls done on yours? I suspect it makes a difference for sure.
I was very reluctant to buy the Phazers but the sled does exactly what I wanted it to do, it even starts at -8 with no problem, the cold starting was the thing I was the most concerned about, but it worked perfectly.
I was very happy that I did not buy the Nitro when the Guide told the that they had tested four of them last winter and every one of them had the same complaint about them being hard to handle. You can read the dribble on this list and take it with a grain of salt but when four Guides at the main Mountain riding area tells you they are not worth much, then I listen..

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
No the little **** ran up to 70mph! I would say that it would run 60-65 almost all the time. We were in the Mountains so we had very little chance to run them out a lot.
Have you had all the recalls done on yours? I suspect it makes a difference for sure.
I was very reluctant to buy the Phazers but the sled does exactly what I wanted it to do, it even starts at -8 with no problem, the cold starting was the thing I was the most concerned about, but it worked perfectly.
I was very happy that I did not buy the Nitro when the Guide told the that they had tested four of them last winter and every one of them had the same complaint about them being hard to handle. You can read the dribble on this list and take it with a grain of salt but when four Guides at the main Mountain riding area tells you they are not worth much, then I listen..

I think there would be a few Nytro owners who would beg to differ on these guides' opinions. I haven't rode a stock MTX but my turbo is amazing in the deep and they are known for being excellent boondockers. They are a very rider forward machine and take some getting used to.

They also have way less recalls/bulletins than the Phazers. And if you ride a Phazer in the deep or steep you might as well duct tape the throttle to the bar. They are easy to boondock but don't let off unless you like digging.
To each his own and good luck :beer;

Last edited:

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
Gordo is your clutching stock and if so do you know what it is. Buy the way i have a nytro and I love it ya its heavy and takes a little more work to throw around but with a turbo there isnt a better sled out there.

Premium Features