• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Mountain Cat Gearing

O
Dec 1, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I'm in the process of reassembling an 01 800 Mountain Cat anyone have gearing preferences?

The sled has the following:
9 driver extroverts
159" 16" wide
fairly stock 800 (will end up with a single pipe, can, reeds)

Current gearing is 20/39, is this acceptable or should it be geared lower?

I was thinking 19/46 may be more acceptable, wasn't sure if that was too deep. Also, can I use my existing chain or do I need to swap for something else? I stumbled across hyvo chain suggestions in a search but I'm not familiar enough with them to speak. Any recommendations would be great :)

I'm 6' 240 lbs and the sled will be ridden around 8k -9500 ft, just enough trail to get me to the steeps and powder.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
20 /43 with a broke in 72 tooth chain, basiclly no chain adjuster necessary, good low gearing for steep and deep, my nephew's psi motored sled will hit 80+ real fast with this gearing, I've never been an advocate of turning a chain around the 19 tooth sprockets, premature chain stretch and wear and on big sleds not enough chain on tooth purchase to avoid premature upper sprocket wear.

Premium Features