• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Phazer oil filter change

S
Jun 17, 2008
Gilbert, MN
I am wondering how to change the oil filter on my 2007 Phazer. I can barely see it and just looking for some tips on what you guys have found. Any recommendations on how often to change the filter? Thanks for any help!

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Walk over to your door...stick your hand in the door jam.....slam the door as hard as you can while holding your hand in the jam. Now you will be ready to change the oil and filter.:eek: I would tell ya how I did mine but there some sharp individuals on here that can explain it way better . Dino

T
Dec 2, 2007
oregon
ive changed mine once and that was a challenge. find someone with small hand its a tight fit down there. it would of been nice if yamaha would have put a remote filter on it next to the oil tank where a person could get to it. i guess the engineers only have to make it look good they dont have to work on these things lol. good luck with it

whatryan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
lemars iowa
i second that on this one best thing i ever did was make the dealer do it if u cant do that take the air box out and have fun its a pain in the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppppppppp

Nov 28, 2007
Spruce Grove,Ab.
It's not that bad,just give yourself lots of time and tear into it. You are going to have lots of body parts to remove and replace, so have a clear spot to put them.One good thing about doing it yourself is that you get to look around while your in there and look for anything that needs to be tightened or lubed. As much as I love riding the Phazer, I miss the old days of just popping open the hood to see what's happening in there.

The first time is a pain, no if's, and's, or but's about it. However, I did change the oil in my Phazer for the second time this summer and i gotta say it was much easier because I know what to expect.

Here are the keys to being able to do it by yourself the first time without feel the need to shoot a Yamaha engineer:

1) have a warm, dry shop, trailer, or living room to work in.
2) Get a K&N replacement filter because it has a hex on the top to tighten and untighten (this is a HUGE help).
3) to get the stock filter off your going to need a small filter wrench. I have many to choose from because I have a lot of toys, but the best one to use is the one Yamaha sells (part # is in your manual) or one just like it. It's about $15 (rip-off!) but in the end it's worth it.
4) the air box bolts are INSIDE the air box, pull the rubber plugs and you'll see them hiding
5) when you finally get the filter unscrewed, DO NOT try pull it out past the frame!! Let it fall down to the belly where you'll already have the belly plate removed in order to drain the crankcase! Install the new one from the bottom as well! Also, there's going to be oil in the filter, and it's going to leak out all over the bottom of your sled. There's not much you can do about it other than try to mop it out with a rag.
6) speaking of draining the crankcase, Yamaha has hired Superman to install all the oil-drain plugs in all their snowmobiles (my Apex was the same way)! So, just when you sure your allen wrench is going to break or you're going to strip the sh#% out of the bolt, it will finally break loose. But it's scary until it does.
6) Patience, Patience, Patience!

I personally do not like to let anyone else work on my sleds (ie: the dealer) unless it's warranty work. Too many bad experiences. But if the above description intimidates you in any way, or if you don't have or don't want to invest in the tools needed to do this job, then I would take it in.

Max:D

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
My first post was how I felt after my first oil change...it just takes time and as said above ...Patience:rolleyes: On the bright side it doesnt have to be done very often. Small hands help ... took me 4 hrs the first time :eek: But now that Ive done it once maybe an hour?? Dino

B

BearClaw

Dec 12, 2010
Riverton, Ut
Maybe a reason to stay with 2 strokes

After reading this thread, I might put it up for sale and buy another 2 stroke where you only need to fill the oil:kev:

G
Jan 23, 2010
Shady Cove, OR
Phazer Oil Filter

I wrote these insturctions when I changed my filter:
Remove headlight black cover....pull up on rear and lift off.
Remove R and left side covers (top bolt)
Unplug and remove headlight (remove align bolts and springs).
Remove air cleaner bolts under black caps...4mm allen.
Unplug 3 sensors.
Unplug 4 hoses and remove air box.
If a filter wrench won't fit. tie a cord around it CCW and pull/lever it off.

Premium Features