• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weights for Clutching

P
Oct 17, 2008
MN
I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on the weight for your primary clutch. I recently just bought weights for both clutches so I can ride out west. I have a 2002 800 mountain cat EFI LE 144. Does the 55 gram weight that the sent me, that goes into the primary clutch, really make that much of a difference when riding in the powder out west? They told me that with the 55 gram in the snowmobile won't upshift as fast when driving in the deep powder. I was just wondering if it's worth the 50 bucks I paid for it.

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
Changing weights is one of the most important and cheap things you can change for seriouse rpm gains for going up in elevation. ideally you wont notice a change from going from a low elevation to a high one, but thats unlikely cuz your engine makes a lot less power.

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
Changing weights is one of the most important and cheap things you can change for seriouse rpm gains for going up in elevation. ideally you wont notice a change from going from a low elevation to a high one, but thats unlikely cuz your engine makes a lot less power.

Yup, what he said. The loss of horsepower, as well as the extra drag on the machine require more weights in your primary. I don't know much about the Cat clutching, but the doo's require a lot more clutching to get the machine up to it's max potential in the hills.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I am assuming the weights you have now are heavier then 55? IF so then you are on the right track. Normally you have to loose weight when you gain elevation.

P
Oct 17, 2008
MN
I am assuming the weights you have now are heavier then 55? IF so then you are on the right track. Normally you have to loose weight when you gain elevation.

Yeah I right now I have the weights in for here, MN. I know putting the secondary clutch weights in isn't that hard. But what about the primary clutch weight. Is that one hard to put in?

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
I hope you're talking about a 55 degree helix and not 55g weights... Run somewhere in the area of 64-68g at elevation. Doesn't it say on top of the airbox what to run at elevation? It won't be perfect, but it would be a good start.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Less primary weight is required at high elevation compared to lower elevation. Weights go in the primary clutch and a helix goes in the secondary clutch. Each clutch has a spring as well.

P
Oct 17, 2008
MN
Sorry, I was confused. I thought the 55 Helix was called a weight not a helix. I have put in the weights into the primary clutch before but I haven't put the helix into the secondary clutch. Is putting the helix in pretty complicated and time comsuming?

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
wow i was so confused by this post. first i saw 55g weights and thought wow that is really light for an 800. then i saw weights in the secondary and thought, my secondary doesn't have weights what is he running.

BTW make sure you mark exactly how your secondary came apart because they are balanced and need to go back together the same way they come apart. i like to use a sharpie.

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
wow i was so confused by this post. first i saw 55g weights and thought wow that is really light for an 800. then i saw weights in the secondary and thought, my secondary doesn't have weights what is he running.

BTW make sure you mark exactly how your secondary came apart because they are balanced and need to go back together the same way they come apart. i like to use a sharpie.

agreed i thought 55g would be a little light, 62-64 is what you should be running. and it will take 5-10 mins to swap that helix all you need is a 13mm wrench and some allen wrenches.

Premium Features