• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat bog

M

motoracer5

Nov 2, 2008
2004 KK with SLP twins and snow screens on stock intake, also have the SLP airbox lid/intake but I am not running it right now. Runs great on trail, and it runs great in the powder.... until i let off the throttle. It really does not seem like exhaust blockage. Some times I have to run it around on packed snow for a few minuets before it clears up. Wont rev much over 5000-6000 most of the time. I am going to make up a massive snow deflector for the exhaust tomorrow and screen up my hood. Is there anything else that could be the cause of this? I am going to check the wiring(though I doubt it is the cause) and look for any kinked hoses. Any other opinions would be appreciated though. Thanks for any help

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Make sure you have your exhaust system sealed at the joints and belly pan exit. You may also be jetted too rich. A shock tower exhaust helps but a lot of air and proper jetting help the most. They are known for the bog and it is real frusterating until you get it worked out of them.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
and as posted on here a million times check you valve to make sure they are clean and free moving, no broken cables.

M

motoracer5

Nov 2, 2008
Sorry, I know that has been posted. But this is only the second ride on a new motor. I took them apart this morning anyways, and they are clean and free moving. I sealed my exaust with copper silicone, it does not leak at the can/pipe, I will check and see if anything is coming in the belly pan though. This seems far more severe that the exhaust bog, later in my ride(up Boulder on sunday, lots of powder) it would sometime take 10+ minuets for it to clear up riding on packed snow. It was so bad I couldent even drive up the trail......... not even sure if i should call it a "bog"

Last edited:

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
the servo and valve stop you at 6700-7000 is it jetted/clutched close? do you have a pinched fuel line by the carbs or a plugged pick up in the tank>?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
It does sound like you have something else going on there. I did have a sled that had the servo motor go bad and it kind of shorted out the whole system. Could you be getting a lot of snow and steam under the hood and shorting out some bad wiring. After a few minutes it dries out and you're up and running again?

M

motoracer5

Nov 2, 2008
Yeah, thats exactly what happens. Thing is, it runs like a champ when it finally clears up(or when I first get up there) I was just outside pulling off the oil tank too check the wires, and saw that the power valves vent out the belly pan. Is that known to freeze up? I yanked it off anyways, I would rather my sled be grungy than not run in powder. I remember my yz125 acting similar when PV vent froze over. Still gonna look over the wiring

M

motoracer5

Nov 2, 2008
It really does not seem like a plugged pick up, I can hold wide open on the lake or up a hill for as long as I want without it happening, Just cant let it touch the deep stuff. I am gonna check them though, I really dont want this happening on my next ride.

M

motoracer5

Nov 2, 2008
Took off my air box lid and it only has the right side exhaust bog now, quite minor compared to what I was used to. Now i just have to figure out if it is lack of air or carb freezing. Think I will try and make a higher intake or put K&N filters with pre filters. Only thing i dont like about the K&N is drawing hot air. Anyone have ideas?

Premium Features